All-Time European Draft

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by La-Máquina, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
  2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #152 Excape Goat, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    What is the situation with the draft clock?

My turn or @Perú FC? I don't know if his clock expired.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It will have expired but I'll wait a bit longer before posting the picks of you and me, unless @el cabezon wants us to pick imminently. It's probably best and fairest to have us all make picks in the right order if possible isn't it...

4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sorry for be late, I'm going to pick in these few minutes.

Excape Goat and PDG1978 repped this.
  5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was not pushing it anyway. I normally tried to be nice during a draft and before the vote.

Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Anyway, my apologies. I didn't think we were going to move so fast because of the slowness of the previous rounds and when I checked the thread I was at work and I could only connect with my phone, but I have a problem with the virtual keyboard and I couldn't write or publish anything. I had to wait to back at home.

On the other hand, I'm satisfied with Dasayev and Kubala, but I hesitated to wait for another one.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Team is taking shape

........Eusebio
    ............savicevic
    ........scholes....vieira
    ....................................suurbier
    ..........mgrath.....cannavaro
    ....................Yashin

8. Steller

Steller Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Tricky C pot is completed

9. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really open this

Definitely confident with my team

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I meant to draft Sammer. i thought you took McGrath, Cannavaro, Vieria and other midfielders. I did not expect you to take him.

thebigman repped this.
  12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    After Socratos82 took Pires, I am free to pick next two picks. Everyone between my next two picks has used up their Pool A slots. I am going to announce my Pick 9 now. I am working on my Pick 10.

Please do not post this on the selection thread until my turn:

Pick 9
    Manuel Amoros (France)
    Pool A

[​IMG]

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I will go for a big name player!

Pick 10th
    Claudio Gentile (Italy)
    Pool A

[​IMG]

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This team is more liked an all-star team. I am not 100% sure if they are a good combination. Most of my players are regulars in our drafts. Ibrahimovic is probably the only newcomer to our all-time drafts. So everyone is household names in big soccer.

I am not good at matching defenders. I have three famous defenders from the 1980's playing along with John Charles. Camacho and Gentile are the types of defenders or I should say characters that I liked on my defence. They are heart-driven players. They played with energy and soul. John Charles was a strong player. Physically, this team could match any attackers. Amoros was chosen as a balance. He was elegant.

Edwards and Bozsik are not my ideal kind of the midfield combinations. I prefer my midfielders to have clearer roles: one the playmaker the other ball-winner. Both of my midfielders supposed to be ball-winners and processed great passing skills. They can win the ball and move it forward. I don't know if they would run into each other's way.

Laudrup is my main playmaker, but he might get ninth way of Baggio. Baggio played as a support striker, not a right winger. Ideally, Amoros supported him pushing Baggio inward. Gents played as he did best..... a left winger!

Ibrahomovic was chosen because he was tall with a lot of skills on his feet. He

[​IMG]

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My team is ok but I still lack a lb and another midfielder or forward

Not sure to play sammer as a sweeper or dm

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, aren't they your ideal combo? Bozsik was far more of a deep-lying playmaker, in the Pirlo role. He could tackle, but that wasn't his strength. Edwards on the other hand was an enforcer. His passing was decent at best, wasn't it?

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's why I went for vieira and scholes

Excape Goat repped this.
  18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know enough about them. I thought Edwards was more of a box-to-box. I cant name players.... may be liked Robson? Anyway, I am happily accepted your idea of the two.

19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People say that, but when I watch footage of him, he was always looked more like a holding midfielder. He did make a number of ventures forward. Look up quotes on him, especially his biggest fan Bobby Charlton, and you get something like this:

"He had every talent, he was the best short passer, he was the best long passer. He had terrific vision. His 60-70 yard passes with a heavy ball were pinpoint accurate."

Listen to Sir Charlton, and you think Edwards was the best passer in the world at the time, not Didi. Now actually go look up any footage of Man Utd during his days, and find me a game where he showed such passing.

Excape Goat repped this.
  20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought the description was very similar to Bozsik. That was how I felt that Edward and Bozsik were similar.

From this footage, however, he was liked a young Beckenbauer. When I said "box-to-box", I probably meant the Beckenbauer type. He could win the ball.... but he was also all over the field. I saw this footage long time ago and forgot how dominating he was as a ball winner. Yes, he could be my ball-winner.

21. Steller

Steller Member

Sep 21, 2015
    In this game he was playing CB from 6th minute and logicaly we can't see much of his attacking game.
    Unfortunetaly this is only full match available with him.
    Howewer he was complete halfback and one of the best ball winning player ever and I think he and Bozsik will be excellent partners.

Excape Goat repped this.
  22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whenever I watched him, I always think it's best to compare him to Roy Keane. I think goat's combo will work just fine.

Excape Goat repped this.
  23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I feel more confident abut my team. :)

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC