All-Time Chain Draft

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Perú FC, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    PDG1978 repped this.
  2. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can a player be linked using a team he was owned by but never played for? For example could Rijkaard be link to Figo using Sporting CP?

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I thought I'd answer that one Tom, since after La-Maquina picks me and you are next, and you probably want to know the answer before making your first pick....

Peru has said this, so it's a no in terms of your example I think:
    "The draft will be based on selecting players of all-time to build a squad of 18 players, but all chained with the previous one for having played at least one official match in the same club in their careers (they do not need to have coincided there at the same time)"

Another question I have for Peru (not that it's relevant yet) is when we choose to ban players in the tournament games, does the one who goes first depend on who is playing at home/away or is it done by PM secretly by both managers...or something else?

Unsurprisingly I have a shortlist of 3 ready (I'm not commenting on whether the players are surprising or not, just that there are two drafters to go ahead of me!).

Tom Stevens, Perú FC and msioux75 repped this.
  4. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    As PDG1978 quotes, both players must have played at least in one official match at the club that chains them (even if has entered as substitute).

Tom Stevens repped this.
  5. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I will picking in the next 30 minutes.

6. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He was on my shortlist of 3 for my first pick for this draft, was Mr Messi!

Although 3rd option of the 3 I had in mind before you picked.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And Tom takes my first option (as I suspected he might do) in Cruyff, so I'll announce the signing of the middle option very soon!

9. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Interesting thinking about the first picks, some of the normal all time greats take you down a bit of a dead end that is not conducive to this type of draft.

La-Máquina, Perú FC and PDG1978 repped this.
  10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    In previous drafts made in other forums we implemented that the visitor should ban first to maintain the certain "advantage" for those who are locals.

By then we could ask if it seems good to most.

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I had a slight hope of having Messi as sixth.

La-Máquina repped this.
  12. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You drafted my favourite striker anyway so you have my vote now ;)

I can’t believe Diego Maradona was still available for you at 6th pick! One of the greatest clutch ‘tournament’ players too!

Before the draft order was announced I had three avenues I was interested in starting with (Ronaldo one of them, with strong links to both the big clubs in Italy and Spain, ideal for this draft.) But having the first pick changed all that! I am pleased to draft the best footballer I have ever seen.

13. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always knew heroearaucano was going to pick Figueroa. Even if hero had the first pick of the draft I would count on him picking Don Elias.

14. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Messi and Maradona were my primary options, but I had little hope of choosing one of them on the sixth turn. Curiosities of the game criteria.

What is even more curious is that I could choose between Pelé and Maradona. Deciding has demanded me to try to project the strategy 3 or 4 rounds.

It is a mathematical certainty.

La-Máquina repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can’t believe christiano was available

good links and lots of choices

16. JJMM1

JJMM1 Member

Junior
    Colombia
    Feb 19, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have a doubt. If the team of a chain, change a name on the past, we can use a player for this team with a name of today??

17. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Clubs with different names throughout their history will count as the same club being the same institution and can only be used twice with any name.

For example:

Kispesti AC = Kispesti FC = Budapest Honvéd = Kispest Honvéd

Tom Stevens repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Cheers. If you draft my favourite striker you can have my vote too then lol!

I'd have to work out who it is first though.

msioux75 and La-Máquina repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That's what I thought would be the answer - MTK Budapest came to mind as I assume a similar example.

On the other hand I'd guess Wimbledon, MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon for example would all be considered different clubs (the original Wimbledon having been taken over by MK Dons)? Maybe RB Leipzig are considered a new club too?

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Yes. Apparently, Wimbledon FC, Milton Keynes Dons and AFC Wimbledon they are all different institutions. I think the first 2 were the same, but as I read not legally, but that Milton Keynes Dons has a different foundation date.

RB Leipzig is officially the club founded in 2009.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldo and best so far, pace and goals out wide

from both sides

anyone got a formation in mind or just going off the best available players?

22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think about formations this early, especially when I picked a CM and a CB. Obviously your formation will have two wingers :D

thebigman repped this.
  23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have to say, I was very surprised @JJMM1 passed up on the ADS-Puskas partnership. Puskas was never gonna make it pass round 2 :D

24. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I am going towards a base tactic formation, but it's just an initial scheme that can change any time. Even the criteria of the game gives you the possibility to go further and think about possible players to rotate before completing an XI.

Best seems to me to be a good wild card to play not only as winger/wing-forward on both sides, but also as a free-role playmaker/forward behind a striker.