All this kvetching about "the world has caught up"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Aug 10, 2023.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they could get Krikorian, who would take him?

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The type of person she may be does not change how I read her comments.

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Like I said, she talked out of both sides of her mouth. She wanted more brand deals but she did not want others to want brand deals. Go figure.

4. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    show me someone who does not. you dont like her. I get it.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Most people don't like her. Go look at Gotham's twitter comments when they announced that investor Lloyd would be available at the game today for fans to meet. Let's just say it did not go over well. I disagree that most people talk out of both sides of their moutch. She is also negative about most things regarding this sport, which so are you - so two peas in a pod I suppose.

6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I don't care who likes her. Her opinion remains valid. As far as your opinion of me. Have at it. The sport should not be the popularity contest it has become. Telling that you have failed to address a single point she made. Just attacked her personality. That seems to be how the internet/social media age works.

Namdynamo, alckz, JanBalk and 1 other person repped this.
  7. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    Well, I don't like this idea. South Africa has a very disorganized backline, and their sole tactic is trying to get the ball to Kagtalana. This is not the tactical arrangement USWNT should seek for.

8. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    What point did she really make? I don't like analysis based solely on mentality. Esepcially calling the team lack championship mentality while this team won the world champion without Lloyd as a starter sounds very self-serving.

ytrs repped this.
  9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    She made several in the article I posted, especially about the youth system. I did not focus on what she said about the current team. The current team is the crystallization of some of the points she and several others have made.

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Not me. The team he has built in Washington is not particularly impressive.

11. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    Well, everybody has remote knowledge of WOSO should understand current NT development, selection model/pipeline is not optimal. It's not some impressive analysis you expect to hear from a veteran NT player let alone a multiple time world champion. Lloyd is not as smart as she thinks, her analysis is superficial (honestly, championship mentality, toughness are all nonsense that people invented to make sense of what happened ex post), and it is very irritating to constantly punching down your teammates and their performance because of past persoanl problems.

RalleeMonkey and ytrs repped this.
  12. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    We read it very differently. No problem.

13. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    So missed opportunity, we should have had him when Carli was on the team it sounds like :):ROFLMAO::D

14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I specifically addressed her ripping on teammates for brand deal and then complaining she did not get enough. I am not going to give her negativity a platform. That is exactly what she wants. But for her to attack the youth system when she has zero involvement in it is hilarious. Also, she doesn't seem to admit that maybe this team did not win simply because other nations are much better than when she played. The US could have won World Cups with our B and C teams for many years.

Finally, the USWNT was picked by Vlatko. The head coach chooses that team. He can pick literally anyone - whether they have been in the youth national team pool over the years or not. So have at him if you don't like the roster. Anyone can see he did not pick the best 23 talent-wise. Kelly O'hara is arguably the worst player on Gotham right now. She has lost her mobility, so he only hides her on the forward wing for limited minutes. Yet, Vlatko chose her. Unbelievable.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    South Africa advanced as far as we did with farrrrrrrrrrrr less talent. They played organized, balanced football. I guarantee you that whomever we hire will have less of a track record than their manager.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    her

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Re Carli's comments, and this is not specific to Carli's comments, I think the ever present remarks about how youth soccer is too focused on winning miss something. The one thing US soccer players are known for is having that winning edge. Pino said that the difference between the US and other teams is that we "know" we're going to win. Not that we're going to try hardest, but that we will find a way, some way, to win. Imo, that competitiveness is bred into players in youth sports. Soccer playing kids in the US are constantly challenged to perform under pressure in a way that they aren't in other countries.

ytrs repped this.
  18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    have you been involved in the youth system? In what way is she not involved in it? You have glossed over the parts I found interesting to focus on the end game. I believe the endgame is directly impacted by what is happening at the youth level. Lloyd's comments line up very well with those I have heard form MANY stakeholders, players and coaches. I don't particularly care about her comments on the existing group.

Namdynamo repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    What is the winning edge?

You make a very big statement

"competitiveness is bred into players in youth sports. Soccer-playing kids in the US are constantly challenged to perform under pressure in a way that they aren't in other countries."

What is that based on? Like most things, some are, some are not. it really depends on what you call a challenge. As an example, is it more challenging to grow up poor, playing on sand lots/ beaches with boys or to make your HS team as a freshman? That is up for debate.

CoachP365 repped this.
  20. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Apologies...

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I will add, if we hired her, she'd be the most accomplished manager we've ever hired.

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Yes I have been involved in the youth system for years. What has Carli done in the youth system besides play there years ago? She doesn't coach or scout or run a club.

23. chirenzhiren

chirenzhiren Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 14, 2021
    They advanced because their group was weak. No, their play is very disorganized, esepcially thier backline is super chaotic. It's not a high demand for a coach to organize a semi-coherent defense in a 7-year-long tenure. What record are you talking about? Ellis only coached a domestic semi-pro team before taking the helm of the SA NT. The NT's success has more to do with a couple of really strong star attackers than Ellis.

24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    We've never hired a manager that has managed a team internationally, let alone gotten them out of the group stage.

As I said, I guarantee that Ellis has a better resume than whomever we will hire.

25. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Tom Sermanni?

kolabear, JanBalk and lil_one repped this.