All this kvetching about "the world has caught up"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Aug 10, 2023.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were right!

NCChiFan repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the technical skill front, take a look at this clip of Moultrie to Betfort goal against Casey Murphy in goal, Thorns v Courage on August 20. No generalized argument intended, I just love it because of the brilliant skills involved:

3. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah :thumbsup: , that 's football and what we want to see. Football without skills is just athletics.

4. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I agree! I have moved on from the NWSL to following European soccer, and especially the Champions League. It allows me to see see more of the technical and tactical part of the game which I like. Followed Macario at Lyon where she was a natural in their style of play. It was an incredible feat on her part to step into a starting roll as a rookie, and only after playing in 5 games. Lyon was good at a lot of one touch passing and give with give and goes, something Spain takes even to a higher level. They do it so well in very tight coverage with a lot of success.,

I can’t wait for Champion’s League to start. Following the WC this should be huge for attendance for the teams. I would expect Spain to have huge attendance for all their friendlies at home this year. Expect to see Wouldn’t be surprised to see Barcelona schedule more of their games in the big stadium.. With England runner-up at the WC, I would expect to see a significant increase in attendance over last season which saw a 233% increase after England won the Euros. Even before the WC, teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester United were scheduling more games in their bigger stadiums. So even that could be expanded by them and other teams as well.

Namdynamo, kribi, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I follow Wolfsburg, their coach tends to scour for every top athletic & physical player he can find inside & outside of Germany, with Jonsdottir being the most athletic monster of them all. That coach will throw everything at you including the kitchen sink! Effective, but stylish & elegant soccer? NOPE
    Good luck with Chelsea & Macario, but you better stay away from my Wolfies! lol

6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #156 Number007, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    It's good play, but its also very poor defending. Some of the team defending in the NWSL is hard to understand. Berkely is great on the ball, but she gets caught ball-watching here. its not 2 vs 2 its 3 vs 2. If Berkely just tracks the run, its easily snuffed out. This angle shows it better.

Interesting that at Wake Forest, Betfort played CB and RB. She was a walk on as well. The variation in positions from College to NWSL is something I have always found interesting. She does really well here as a #9!

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
  8. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Hey the US is looking for a coach that has international experience that can plays their brand of soccer.

9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    If you had watched Macario in the USA play Club soccer and at Stanford, I don't think you would see it as an incredible feat. It was very clear that she could play and contribute at a high level in any team. I wish more people watched some of these players before they hit the professional ranks.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #160 hotjam2, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    absolutely, the Wolf's coach, Stroot, would be ideal for US soccer.and you would think like Klinsman got rid of Donovan, he'll probably get rid of some of the pesky vets. In this DAZN preview before the CL, meshing up Jonasdottir's athleticism vs Barca's more stylish Caro Hansen, you can see also the huge difference on how both team approach the game(direct vs possession) as some of the highlights get them playing against the exact same club(Roma). and notice how good Stroot gets his team 'seperation' from opponents defenses(something that Vlatko was so bad at)

11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Perfect example of the broken clock being right twice a day...

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    cpthomas repped this.
  13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Please explain.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Slight exaggeration. I read what she said. There is a lot of truth in it. I don't dismiss that simply based on the source. Unfortunately, this seems to be how things are done nowadays. Social media has a lot to do with that.

Byu77, castate, Namdynamo and 1 other person repped this.
  15. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Agree with everything she said tbh

Byu77, castate and Namdynamo repped this.
  16. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    #168 CoachP365, Oct 13, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    Carli sez:
    " She noted a fractured youth system that does not adequately develop players, as well as recent struggles from the U.S. youth national teams that some have "turned a blind eye to" because of the senior team's success. Lloyd also explicitly said that the current American player pool does not stack up to its international counterparts.

I think that yes, they're talented, but are they really that talented? That's the question,"
    ---

She's right.

Carli sez:
    We used to be fit. We used to be mentally tough. Tactically, technically OK, but now you have nothing."
    ---

I'm willing to be we were still the fittest team out there - I bet we beep test way more than Spain, Japan, etc. It wasn't mentality and grit or dawg that we lack, it's technical and tactical shortcomings in the selection and in the coaching.

Carli sez:
    "I felt slighted in everything. I wasn't with the agency that was sort of coupled with U.S. Soccer, where a majority of the players had those agents representing them,
    ---
    She's right.

I think when push comes to shove being a wasserman client that chronically shoots terribly but is really fast gives one the edge over any of the dozens of other fast erratic NWSL forwards, probably helps more than hurts, though the President is no longer a former wasserman exec

Carli sez:
    "At the time, when I'm trying to earn a living and I'm trying to give my all to the team and win and be possibly the best that I can be," she said, "to not really have the support of the federation that you're playing for, to not really be respected in that matter, it was pretty shitty."
    ---

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/135591991/202120479349301037/full

I don't know, she got a $120K ish raise from the 2019 filing to the 2020 filing, keeping her on the "most highly compensated federation employees list". I'd love for my employer to not support me to the tune of a 30% raise...

I suppose someone had to become US Woso own version of Don Cherry....

blissett and Number007 repped this.
  17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    @CoachP365 So you agree with some of what she says. Same. there are passages that sound self serving and many will focus on that, but the core of what she is saying applies to College, NWSL and the USWNT at all levels. it is not the meritocracy it is marketed as. Nothing truly is.

PJ234, blissett, Namdynamo and 1 other person repped this.
  18. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I'll also give her a half right on the gucci shoes etc putting the branding cart before the dominating in real competitions horse. But that's a symptom of the overall game here, MLS, NWSL, the multiple *elite" teams in teh same town never playing each other because they are in different alphabet soup youth leagues.

We could use a little more merit based evaluation but who picks what is meritorious...

Number007 repped this.
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    You don't believe she is an attention seeking negative person? Because if not, you are not paying any attention to her. That was what my post said.

As for the article, she criticized the team for caring more about brand deals and then in the next breath she complains that she did not get more brand deals because she was not US Soccer's golden girl. She is talking out of both sides of her mouth, and she was no ones golden girl becuase she is so unlikable. She is just like Wynalda on the men's side. So bitter and negative. Go off to retirement.

chirenzhiren repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to the whole show with Carli Lloyd, and while I think she's right about some of it (e.g. US Soccer grooming some youth players to be the star), she comes across as someone bitter and jealous. A lot of it also is just BS, imo, but even off the field, she's the same person who played on the field with a chip on her shoulder. It's not a surprise.

FormerGermanGuy and ytrs repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    If suggestions for the next manager are on topic in this thread, I'm suggesting South Africa's manager. She has done a great job.

22. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    They will probably hire a NWSL coach.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, "Best Available" is not in the Fed's vocabulary. See: Berhalter, Jay's Brother

PJ234 repped this.