All this kvetching about "the world has caught up"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Aug 10, 2023.

1. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I think Spain takes it.

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    How to defend/goalkeep and score. They lost 0-4 to Japan. You do realize that throwing out the rebellion numbers looks fancy but it doesn't mean those were the top players and that this is the B team. Stop buyng that spin. Go look up Spain's best players and tell me which ones are not playing in the World Cup? Now go look up the top players from other countries who are missing out on the World Cup.

3. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    I've watched this kid in U17, she's amazing. Very technical, but also feisty and aggressive. Had she been injured or Vilda considered her too young to be on WC team?

blissett repped this.
  4. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    The introduction of the Women's Nations League is interesting to me because it will benefit the European teams even more and increase TV revenue. Which means that the USWNT will be having a hard time trying to schedule friendlies with European Teams.

RalleeMonkey, kribi and CoachP365 repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #130 hotjam2, Aug 16, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
    currently missing/on strike for Spain team are at least 3 starters for either club or country;
    Panos(GK)Barca
    Leon(CB)Barca
    Patri(DM) Barca

others missing;
    Pina(striker) Barca
    Gollardo(FB) Barca
    S. Garcia, Man City
    Laila A, Man City
    Sarregeti(R Soledad

note; both Patri & Leon made this season’s Champions League 1st team all-star squad . Panos would be important since the current GK looks a bit shaky.
    problems with the current NT; Putellas has not returned to her pre ACL prima dona(where she’s been named 2 time FIFA poy)
    a nifty winger named De Castillo got hurt in their 2nd game & has yet to return.

like I’ve said I’m not really fan of the coach, with what’s he’s been accused of is like wrapping Burke Dames & Riley all together. I’m just pointing out they’re on the verge of dominating woso for an very long time

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Sam Mewis, Mal Pugh, Julie Ertz are aguably our three best players. Ertz was forced to play out of position. I think those three alone would have led us to the WC title. I did not even mention Macario either, who many feel is a top player.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    you realize that Mewis, Macario. Ertz(playing DM) were part of the 2021 Olympic squad that without the pk shootout went 2-2-2

so your only adding Pugh instead of Lloyd Press Heath( also played at the Olympics)

russ, Papin, Gamecock14 and 4 others repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I do to. They got ripped off against England in the Euro Semifinals. Home cooking. It will be interesting to see this match. Personally, I don't think England has played anyone very good up to this point. Australia got by France purely on on homecooking.

Namdynamo, kribi and Every Four Years repped this.
  9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    That is a big add for three aging players who were no longer starting quality. Pugh was our best attacking player before she went down, and both Mewis and Ertz played through injuries at the Olympics. So that is not comparing apples to apples. The common denominator though is the same clueless head coach in both events.

10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Panos was shaky at the Euros, and Abelleira has been Guijarro levels of good in my opinion. Leon has been Spain’s one big miss this tournament.

Del Castillo got seven minutes vs Switzerland.

Riley? That is very bold, and I have not come across anything like that.

blissett repped this.
  11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    What’s interesting about Paralluelo is that she didn’t exactly do much when she started the first four matches. A lot of fans/viewers wouldn’t have benched her, but look at what she’s done since.

blissett repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    And, Sweden proves that England had probably the easiest run to the finals in WWC history.

Spain wins unless Lucy breaks Salma's ankle. I don't mean that metaphorically.

However, I'd only rate Bronze the second dirtiest player in this tournament. That title goes to Australia's Foord.

NCChiFan repped this.
  13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Horses for courses. maybe super sub suits her better?

Ethan Frank repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wouldn’t underestimate England, they still got what’s being definitely proven to have the strongest, most physically & balanced league in Europe whereas Spain’s squad is mostly comprised of Barca(11 players) & Real Madrid(9). Sometimes you can become lackadaisical when you don’t have competition for much of the year.
    England still got the best FB duo in the business in Bronze & Daly. The certainly got the way better of Carpenter/Cately the other day. If they can be pushed back their side of the field, only then, I can see Spain winning

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Spain was the better team in the Euros. Got done in by home cooking.

England won’t be able to handle Spain’s defensive pressure

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #141 hotjam2, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    FOBMOB rankings had Spain’s FB’s Batle & Olga higher ranked than Bronze & Daly, so this could be a good thing as I’ve mentioned, whoever pushes the other FB’s side might determine the winner

re editing; now Vilda decides to start Salma again when she looked so much better as an super sub, coming in during the 2nd half when the game opens up a bit & her athleticism can take over more

maybe it was done to keep Bronze at bay & not move upfield, but could be an mistake if Salma’s offense doesn’t get going

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well Spain’s wins, and it was definitely a good thing for more stylish soccer!

Namdynamo, Mike03, RalleeMonkey and 4 others repped this.
  18. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Yup, rare my predictions pan out. Good for Spain and their team.

19. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today, beautiful football won.

Namdynamo, alckz, PJ234 and 2 others repped this.
  20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Yep, before the tournament, I posted it would be either Spain (best team), or Australia (home cooking like England got in the Euro's).

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I've been saying Stanway was right up there in the dirty ladder. She surely confirmed that today. Hemp, too.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah, Stanway's not as innocent as she looks

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. BCFy

BCFy Member

Sounders FC
    United States
    Sep 20, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Mixed feelings on Spain’s win. On the one hand, Spain clearly played the most attractive game this WWC and did it missing a number of players. On the other hand the why of those missing players and the Spanish Feds general backwardness is unfortunate. The Hermosillo kiss was really bad. Happy for the team and the game. Not happy for their Fed.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What you are referring to? I obviously missed that scene.

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The president of the Spanish FA has been criticised after kissing Jenni Hermoso on the lips during Spain's Women's World Cup victory ceremony. She said she did not enjoy it or invite it

blissett repped this.