All this kvetching about "the world has caught up"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Aug 10, 2023.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's soooooo overblown. Everyone has injuries. It's Women's soccer. But, we came into this tournament without 4 starters - including the woman named World's Best Player (Sam, obviously) before she was injured. This performance does not reflect the caliber of the program. Moreover, the world caught up 3 years ago. The Olympics proved that. But, why all the crying about it. Germany won 2 WC's in a row. Was the soccer world going on and on about The World Has Caught UP To Germany back then?

Finally, Arie Hingst is a moron. The US has never played the best soccer? WTAF? The US wasn't playing the best soccer when they crushed, absolutely crushed, Japan inf the final? Leading 5-2 in the 55th minute? I can't believe Carli just sat there and took that. Hingst has her head sooo far up her own @SS.

Yes, the world has caught up with the US. Just like it did with Germany. Big deal.

Looking forward to the Olympics when we reassert our dominance.

2. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of the response occurring now is because many new teams played in the World Cup for the first time and people expected them to be demolished.

And it's the World Cup, more people pay attention to that compared to the Olympics.

I find the injury excuse overblown. Many teams had injuries and teams like Spain were missing players for political reasons. We're supposed to have the deepest bench and player pool, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

PJ234, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would have never thought that a user called "SS" really existed. And since 2001 to boot! o_O

Nacional Tijuana and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Since 2000.last seen 2001.

RalleeMonkey and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    last year’s u20WC flopped as well along with the current one’s loss to Mexico at Concacaf. So coincidental?
    But there is still hope yet; at this WC as we’ve seen the rise of the economic disadvantaged players as woso clubs starts paying more professional salaries. Urbanism is where we need to head instead of the smug, country club, capitalism that’s seem to run American soccer these days(or at least ran rampant on the women’s side).

6. Byu77

Byu77 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Nov 21, 2021
    It’s mainly because the style of play of some of these European teams (and Japan) is just something the US is not capable of replicating.

But that ls not to say the US can’t win with their ECNL ball either.

Siddhartha and Number007 repped this.
  7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #7 Number007, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    When people draw conclusions about a nation's soccer chops based on a single data point every 4 years, what do you expect? everyone has injuries and inopportune suspensions. Some teams are better able to cope with the compressed nature of a WC with depth at key postions. Others have a few key players they cannot afford to lose. Its the nature of the tournament.

When I have watched, Hingst has been the best analyst on the broadcast. "Best" is subjective. Results are not. For me, the "best" team does not always win. Others may well see that differently.

PS Being the world's best player, whomever you think that is, is no guarantee that you will play well in every game. Just like winning a game does not necessarily mean you played your best.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The USA has never won the U-17 WC and last won the U-20 on 2012. In recent times they have failed to exit group play in both events.

This "rest of the world has caught up" argument seems to mean different things to different people. Similar to the "rest of the world is investing in their women" narrative. It depends what you are measuring.

Allende72 and lukephan repped this.
  9. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Well they will eventually surpass the US with our current system. It's just the truth and more teams will invest in their women's team. Just look at the Portugal game they outplayed us and should have gone through.

Siddhartha repped this.
  10. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    It was only a matter of time before the traditional footballing powerhouses in Western Europe caught up to the US in the women's game. That said, I do expect the USWNT to continue to rank somewhere among the major contenders going forward if not quite as dominant as it had been up to this point.

Siddhartha repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    2018 squad was stuck with eventual finalists Japan & Spain, but still did quite well, here's the lineup of hits & misses in their tie vs Spain
    Spain U20 vs. United States U20 - 13 August 2018 - Women Soccerway
    the 2022 squad was a complete disaster(3-0, 3-1 losses) making wonder what on earth was the 16 year old Moutrie doing as our CAM & as well why was her former select coach now the assistant of the NT?

Siddhartha repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    We’ll see. The U.S. still has the big dog weight of history on their side. This is a minor roadblock for now, not the mountain the men still face.

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    If you are among the very best at the youth level, you beat teams like that once in a while, no? The question we should be asking is why have we been so poor at u-17, progressively better at u-20 (poor in recent times), but at full level, still able to win?

I watch how we play, not just the result. the way we have played has been very similar to what I saw in the WC pre SWE. Very individualistic. The USSF can always call it success if none or two are promoted to the full team. I dont see it that way, but others do.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    what does investing in their women's team mean? People throw the phrase around a lot these days.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm not using as an excuse. I'm talking about the state of (women's) soccer in the US. It's silly to exclude key players from a discussion of "how is the US doing producing players?" I wouldn't talk about how Netherlands is doing by excluding Meidema, how England is doing, excluding Mead and Kirby (you can bet that when England is eliminated, they're entire media will be saying "how different it could have been")

And, yes, Spain is a juggernaut. Before the tournament started, I was picking them (best team in the tourny) or Australia (good home team) to win it all.

But you go ahead and evaluate how Netherlands is going to do at the Olympics, while excluding Meidma. Cause world class finisher wouldn't have helped vs. Spain, right?

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is there any correlation between winning youth WC and winning WC's?

17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    From what I recall they were a real blow hard.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Of course we'll have to evolve. That's life, evolve or perish.

19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Uh, Mewis was named worlds best player by a reputable publication. And, ya, Messi has had some off games in tournaments, but ....

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm saying that all the commenters are acting like winning WC's is a birthright of the USWNT, and that this result is shocking. I don't know why anyone who watched the Olympics would be surprised by this performance. And, then add in that we were w/o 4 of our best. We'll come back. No one wins all the world cups. Germany won 2 in a row. They're down now. Anyone wanna bet Germany doesn't return to being a world power? My money is on Germany.

JanBalk, Every Four Years and PJ234 repped this.
  21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Im sure she was. Im also sure that is one opinion, you could find others publications that would not put her in the top 10. its all opinions.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Imo, you're underestimating the men. We've been a decent footballing nation for decades while having almost zero football academies. Like 3 or 4? World class footballers come from academies.

There are what, 20-30 good football academies now? USL teams are staring to sell players to Europe. The talent level in the men's pipeline is exploding and will continue to do so.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Even if you don't respect Mewis's game, it would be silly to argue that she wasn't one of the top 20 players in the world. For me, I believe her accolades. She was always underrated by USWNT fans. Like I've said, her absense never get mentioned compared to Swanson, Macario, and Brunn

CoachP365 repped this.
  24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #24 Number007, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    Football is a global game. Where the academies are is irrelevant. There is not an infinite supply of great coaching. The best will go where the rewards and opportunities are greatest. the US could open 100 academies, until the quality of them matches the best, not much will change. MLS will continue to import young players from other countries and playing opportunities will be limited for homegrowns. Look at College soccer. Dominated by Internationals developed elsewhere.

lukephan, CoachP365 and PJ234 repped this.
  25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    where did I say that? I don't beleive any one player matters if you play as a team and develop players who are fundamentally sound. I don't give much credence to "best in the world" talk. Messi won a WC when he was clearly past his prime. Has Ronaldo won one? its a good conversation starter, but its a team game.