All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not a believer in “Hockey Assists” but what about this example...

Kepa passes the ball to Alsono who’s wide open and he drives up the field and beat 3 players and hits a cracker of a goal.

Alonso = Goal
    Kepa = Assist

stats need context

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lol, you’re a sad dude

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, he's a long time chels supporter, so... :cautious:

:giggle:

Yahtzee repped this.
  4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Of course.
    However, the idea of using a stat like an "assist" as an indicator of a players worth/contribution on a given day, or even a period of time, is normal, in fact it's likely the reason it was used in the first place.Rightly so too.

The idea of this "hockey assist" is entirely laughable and shows a depth of desperation to "prove" a certain player is deserving of something.

Going on to English club boards and saying your man got a "hockey assist" is pure comedy.

Seriously, I do hope the rags tomorrow don't mention that, it would make the lad a laughing stock the length and breadth of the country.

Can you even see where non Americans are coming from with this?

5. Ajax had a bad game this saturday and narrowly escaped with an undeserved win.
    Especially the defense was iffy.
    So is Pulisic going to bust Ajax?

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Alone? No. As part of a team that is in form, possibly.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The lad's very much a team player rather than a Hazard or even a WIllian kinda fella. I don't think we're going to see him take the ball past 3-4 players one after the other. That's just not his game.

8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lampard on Pulisic after the Jawdee match said:

“I’m really pleased for him. He’s a hot topic because of the price tag. Because of his status in his national team, and his world status through that,” Lampard said.

“And everyone has got a little bit carried away with the short term.

“The long term is that he’s come here and he’s just turned 21 and to see him play like he did today, and there’s a lot more to come.

"It’s not the end story. You can see his balance and awareness and you can see how he can play.

“And there’s improvement to come as with all the young players, but delighted for him because he will feel good about that.

“And he should do because he was a big part of us winning that game."

[what a sensible manager].

lobomojo and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. What do you guys expect from the double whammy against Ajax?
    Papers recently were writing about the strage thing that Ajax struggles more in the Eredivisie than in the CL. They won their matches andif one only looks at the score line nothing seems to worry about, but they really needed their goalie Onana to keep them afloat and the strikers of the opponent not to score on their chances and on top of that referees + VAR mistakes to safe them that could/would be game changers.
    It's like they really come alive in the CL. So that last match isnot an indication on how they will play, judging from their CL runs last and this season.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can I just point this is the Pulisic thread, dude.

Typical Dutchman, misbehaving, eh ;) :giggle:

11. Ooops, forgot it's not my favourite English player, Mason Mount thread:p

lobomojo and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The grauniad, pointing out what we noticed as well...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-newcastle-united-premier-league-match-report

Chelsea, who lost Ross Barkley to a twisted ankle, raised the tempo after half-time, pinning Newcastle back and almost breaking the deadlock when Tammy Abraham headed against the bar. Abraham glanced another effort just over and the home team’s frustration grew when Hudson-Odoi’s deflected shot squirmed through to Pulisic, whose scuffed shot failed to beat Martin Dubravka.

Yet the USA international refused to hide after that miss
    and when his cross reached Hudson-Odoi in the 73rd minute, the England international paused and spied Alonso hurtling into space to his left. The pass was weighted perfectly, allowing the left-back to fizz a low drive underneath Dubravka. Newcastle had finally cracked.

13. Is he going to face Dest?

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    All these reactions are priceless

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're just pointing out that it's a bullshit 'co-called' stat.

16. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You and Clan turned a casual “heard he did good and got a hockey assist” into some weird tirade showing your biases to be the strong ones around here (at least Clan’s.. lol). I can’t seem to find where anyone said it’s a major statistic that needs to be held in holy regard. Odd :sleep:

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yes, I understand that that is your opinion. And that you are backing it up with constructed hypotheticals in which the second to last pass is less important to creating the goal than the last pass. But I am sure you imagine situations in which the opposite is true. So ...

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, I initially just made a joke about it being a bit of a 'flexible' concept and it just being. y'know, a pass! :D

TBH I think most of the stats we use now are pretty meaningless. The last thing we need is more.

Yahtzee repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Which is precisely the point... so why do we need another 'stat'? Just watch the game. That will tell you all you need to know :)

20. Dumb question. Why is there a special Pulisic fan thread in an English forum...and not one for Mason Mount.
    Not that I'm biased regarding MM.

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You’re allowed to make threads. And are the two players mutually exclusive? :confused:

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a predominantly american site so there is special interest in a player who has the potential to be the best American player ever.

The pulisic thread on YA has in excess of 28 THOUSAND posts so it makes sense to have a place to consolidate discussion of the player beyond match threads.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    We needed a place to group all the apologists in one place, so they wouldn't ruin game threads.

No need to thank me.

24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks man

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC