All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We have played 7, SEVEN, PL matches, Pul has started 3 of those, has roughly the same minutes as the decrepit octogenarians, who are also big money respected internationals, we are missing several first team payers to injuries, we have clues but do we really know who is the first choice first team regular 11 yet???.

CHO simply is better, when fully healthy, so likely Pul will have to compete mostly with Willian and Pedro this season while getting stronger, older, wiser this season so he can take over when one or both are gone next season. Likely all 3 will play a lot this season and likely all 3 will wish they played more. Fortunately a lot less Brazilians and Spanish on the board to moan about their playing time after every match

2. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That last line l o l

Done here.

lobomojo repped this.
  3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Look he didn't have a bad game but 'very, very good!'? What game were you watching!! If he was THAT good then why wasn't he man of the match? Youre talking about him like he is Lionel Messi! I'm sorry but you need to wind your neck in! He is a good, promising, talent for sure, but he hasn't done anything (yet) to suggest he is un-dropable! He has played as much as Champions League winner Pedro this year and he WILL get plenty of playing time this season, don't think he is Maradonna though every time he takes a shot at goal! I suggest Stamford Bridge is an ideal place for him to develop, away from ridiculous expectations, he WILL be a great player for CFC - give him some time though FFS.

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I see that you are assuming that he isn't playing because he is less talented than the competition, or that he isn't performing as well as the competition. I don't share that assumption.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

It is fact, not ignorance.
    Pedro, now that Hazard is no longer in the team, is head and shoulders above all remaining, and a considerable degree more than that above Pulisic.

I can't comment on the "we've seen it" about Pulisic as I can only comment on what I have seen so far of him, whilst admittedly is very little, it is still all i can comment on.

Now, I noticed you didn't address the tracking back part...is that an area of concern with him?Is that what Lampard is not seeing in training?Lack of stamina or something?
    Whatever it is, he's lacking something besides being behind them technically...and again, thats on him not Lampard.

Now, I do wonder why he was outright dropped last night myself.

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm going to start a thread about how Lampard hates Belgians.

I mean, it's clear that bats is better than tammy and it's just ignorant bias from an Englishman that he's not playing.

In fact, if it keeps up, Lampard will cost Belgium the world cup in '22...:)

7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep.. this is retarded.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm...I disagree. I saw him every weekend at BVB for the last few years and I would not call him technically gifted as a player. He has some great instinct but I would not say he is "gifted". He can be a pretty good player when he is "on".

Clan, StamfordBridgeLions and Wrath repped this.
  9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Aw, come on, I thought he was being quite funny. We are all Chelsea fans right?

Let us re-cap: Christian Pulisic is an amazing talented player bought by Chelsea Football Club. 58 million quid. He was NOT bought as a marketing ploy to get Americans interested in supporting Chelsea OR to engage with potential American buyers of the club ---- should the rumours be true and Roman wants to sell. But a genuine footballer. He is good. Wait. He will shine. Why is everybody so impatient? He is young. very young. He has just moved to a new country. It takes time for players to settle in. sometimes it takes players a year - a full season - or more to settle into the Premiership.

Rman3349 repped this.
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Moderators are cool with this, but not with discussions of nationality-based bias? Hmmm.

Wrath repped this.
  11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    It is a consider the source type of thing.

He never posts anything worth reading, and if you have an opinion other than his...well, thats what you get.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You’re discounting literally everything I’ve said on the basis of nationality. Get over yourself.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What I saw against Liverpool and other games was someone who reads the play well and drives things forward with clever direct passing, dribbles and bringing those around him into the fold. Maybe I’m defining technical here poorly?

And following up on the previous post.. people can have their own opinions. I like discussing things (ad nauseum). But when nationalism gets thrown in my face (weird.. despite my Brazilian passport I can’t stand Willian? Odd) when I bring things like a players experience, price tag, actual performances, etc. then yes - everything goes to shit and I think you sound dumb. I’d do better to ignore posts that bring that into “conversation.”

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure, I get that, but to me, that means he knows how to play well enough to earn a living that way. Naturally gifted to me are the players that have that "extra" from the rest. Those players that are one level above. Dembele, for example. I think Pulisic is definitely above average for sure but I would not say he is gifted. Hardworking player that can read the game...sure.

I'm not even sure what this means.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
  16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley has World Cup experience. . .:p

Pulisic will get his chances. Patience please. Although, I have now dropped him from my fantasy football team.:(

Clan repped this.
  17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Just fewer of them than others get, for reasons that don’t ring true. But I do think it will work itself out in some way that eventually allows him to show what he can do, somewhere.

18. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    He didn't say CP isn't an international or that he doesn't work hard. Just reaffirming that his competition is capped internationals too. And that the expectation for all is to do your best in training and win a spot there. you're just spinning his words to reflect what you want to hear, which is that there is some conspiracy against this player.

StamfordBridgeLions, Centennial and Clan repped this.
  19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assist in what, 10 minutes of field time for CP.

He’s fine.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I haven't been following this thread because concentrating on one player in a side tends to mean you miss the bigger picture, (IOW, football's a team game), but I will comment on these specific points as they seem relevant...

I haven't really followed the lad much, (certainly not as much as you for obvious reasons), but that coincides with what I have seen. He's not a Messi or Ronaldo type player, with enormous natural ability. He's more a hard working, aggressive player who will try and make things happen in combination with his teammates.
    I think this is the point. Almost ALL of the guy's he's competing with playing time for are either internationals or almost certainly WILL be full internationals in the near future.

Even Ross Barkley, who's looked poor on occasion, (although OK at others), is an international and for a side that did well in the nations league.

Pedro, (who, again, has looked poor on occasion), played over 200 games for Barca and over 60 times for Spain, winning LaLiga 5 times, the CL 3 times, the world cup and the European championship with Spain.

And, to be clear, those two are probably the poorest performing players over the past couple of months, arguably, in terms of competition for playing time.

Mount hasn't been an international and has drifted out of games a bit when he's played sometimes but, at others, he's contributed significantly, including the last game. On that basis it seems reasonable that he should be playing.

If Pulisic hadn't played at ALL and hadn't been given the chance to show what he could do then I'd agree, that would be unreasonable but the thing is he HAS. he started most of the games right at the start and, in truth, he was... well... OK!

But I don't think it's that's unreasonable to argue that, in a side where somebody will be disappointed because they're not playing, he should take some of the load while others are given a chance to shine, as he was earlier.

So I get that fans of the player, (rather than the team), will be disappointed but the plain truth is that somebody will always be upset at not playing. If Mount was dropped, after performing well for Lamps at Derby and in the majority of the games he's played for us, wouldn't he have the right to feel upset?

My guess, (and my hope, tbh), is that, after his last Cameo appearance where he had an assist for the last goal, we'l start to see him make some starts or, at the very least, be brought on as a sub so he can show his form.

Of course, then he has to perform :)

EruditeHobo and lobomojo repped this.
  21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There’s been a massive disconnect in what anyone is arguing or even thinks anyone “Pro-Pulisic” is saying.

You’re bang on when you say it’s a team game and when we focus on a single player, we miss the bigger picture. Overall, Lamps is doing well. Showing tactical flexibility, intelligence and adaptability .. everything necessary to get us a CL spot again which is exactly what I see for us.

Pulisic will have to fight for minutes. Does not change that no, I don’t ever expect someone of some quality to get dropped after 3 OK performances. Willian was bloody awful his first three games back and is now in God mode. FFS Willy didn’t score higher than a 5 his first three games on WAGNH ratings. Only point there is hey, don’t drop the poor kid, keep giving him runs out. Not starting all the time but keep him in the picture. Kids got some game, we know this.

Happy to see him come in and automatically show he’s worth minutes. More importantly, genuinely happy with the team’s overall form. Let’s keep it going.

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Rman3349 repped this.
  23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    "Taylor Twellman
    You understand this is a lot of tongue in cheek right?!"

More data...;)

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #100 Naughtius Maximus, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Yeah, some good points. I'm hopeful we'll see more of the guy going forward.

There's something else that occurred to me and the last game only increased my suspicion.

As I sat there watching the game and knowing CP was on the bench, I thought, 'Lamps will probably bring him on when he knows we're safe', but, as I continued to watch I started to think, 'Hang on... when's that gonna be?' :D

IOW, if we'd look less 'flakey' in defence I suspect Lamps would have been happier to change something, (including this), but we've looked sooo 'delicate' at the back, that time kept being put off until the game was almost over.

Of course, that's a completely different point to not starting the guy but, having not started him, we need to look a bit more certain of getting the win before the manager will be prepared to make too many changes.

I don't know any more than anybody else but as I watched the game I was thinking about the right time to make the change and that point never QUITE arrived... until the last minute.

Yahtzee repped this.