All the stars are gone - 2017 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kernel_thai, Jan 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The team has been running on fumes and nagging injuries since last month's international break. With Niemiec and Rosana departing and Yuri's season ending injury - Och's was never going to be enough. Throw in the fact that they've got 5 players likely to get big minutes and travel fatigue from last night to next Thursday - then they come out of that to a game 48 hours later followed by two games within a week (thanks to the KC reschedule) - and then another midweek game later in the month.

They need bodies. Especially in defense and midfield. A lot of players have already missed games due to nagging injuries. Now we're entering the part of the season where card accumulation will start causing gaps (Zerboni isn't going to play all 24 games).

I think Mewis got a broken nose last night. I'm hoping Dahlkemper, Smith, and Debinha don't all play in both both remaining games, and while I hope Williams gets a run, I'm really hoping it's Sunday and not Thursday.

The reinforcements are really good to see.

sitruc and CoachJon repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

blissett repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington trading Kristie Mewis. Details to be announced on Monday.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Dash signing Cox is a good move. She's a solid player.

8. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, all of this end-of-the-season wayfaring seems crazy! :x3:

I'd dare to say that it doesn't look good for the league itself that players go around this way in such a moment of the fight for play-offs.

10. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL poor Mewis. She's the new Kaylyn Kyle I guess.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They realized I didn't get a chance to get a photo of the two Mewis sisters together.

BlueCrimson and blissett repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why doesn't it look good for the league? It happens in pretty much every other league.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Strange. A former NT prospect and now journeyman player like Mewis for a (former?) star like Brian. Maybe Brian was unhappy in Houston. Or maybe Houston gave up on her?

What goes? .

14. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I guess there's rumors about her going to Lyon. With her injury history, I would be worried about seeing a single NWSL minute of her in 2018
    But with her injury history, odd that Lyon would be interested. She's pretty off the radar these days

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, maybe they are just looking for another... Morgan! :p

Gilmoy repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, and it doesn't look good for those league also! :laugh:

Basically I don't like too many players exchanges: they confuse the fan-base and when teams get shuffled around mid-season too much I am never sure if it makes sense to say that "team X" won the whole season (was it really "the same team" throughout all of the season? Or what the limit in changes is when you want to claim that it's the "same team"? a "Ship of Theseus" problem, if you want. :coffee:).

It feels a little different for me when changes are due to international committments (in particular leagues overseas being out of sync with NWSL), although I have to admit that few things changed the play-off brawl more dramatically than Morgan getting back to Orlando from OL... :cautious:

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's pretty presumptuous of you. Who is confused by players moving around?

Hell, the national teamers get shuffled all of the time.

If a player getting traded or transferred a couple of times triggers you, I'm not sure you're ready for the NWSL to grow up and be a fully independent professional sports league.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, yes, just forget it. It's just I live in the past, in European leagues of the old days, when you were pretty much identifying a team with its players, more than with the colors, the crest or the franchise.
    Just see me as a time-traveler coming from the '80s and forgive me.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We're just rooting for laundry

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, so true! :p

There was an Italian writer, once, who had written something of the kind, wondering how people were going gaga for foreign players they hadn't even heard of before, as long as they were wearing the jersey of their beloved team...

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumors going around are that Brian wasn't happy in Houston, and was in talks to join Lyon, so Houston shipped her off to get something back instead of losing her for nothing. No doubt "helped" with that by US Soccer.

And the real kick in the butt for Houston? Thanks to Mewis playing for Chicago last weekend, she might not be eligible to play for the Dash until next season.

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, then is there indeed some kind of rule to avoid excess of different clubs in a single season?

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA rules:

Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs.

They are pretty strict on it and have limited players who are dropped by teams from getting picked up by another, even though they aren't getting paid while waiting.

blissett repped this.
  24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way the info about the trade came out, there may be additional future consideration (for both teams or either team) depending on whether unspecified conditions are met. Maybe one of the conditions has to do with Mewis being allowed to play for Houston this year.

Plus, the League is a single entity. The players' contracts aren't with the clubs, they're with the NWSL. I wonder if that could make a difference. I don't see why it should from a FIFA perspective, but who knows?

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The future considerations are likely based on Brian's status for next season. If she goes to Lyon, as rumored, Chicago would get considerations from Houston. If Brian stays in Chicago, the Red Stars would have to give something to the Dash.