All-Star Voting - a final push (and some arguments for it)

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, it looks like ROB has worked his way into the top five of fan voting.

Also, Goodson and Vanney appear to be within striking distance, and Garlick isn't too far out (they will probably take the top two).

Why would it be good to have these guys there? This game will be like the Chivas match in '03 - it will be taken seriously - and it will be a good experience for whoever plays in it. No, not as good as a nt callup, but I bet the competition will be higher than the usual MLS match.

And if they do well with Colin, it will be another bit of confidence for "the boys."

This article describes the current situation and has a link to vote.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been paying that much attention to Vanney. Greg didn't impress me that much early in the season, but has he stepped up his game enough to deserve a trip to Columbus?

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a real tough question. He has had some not-so-good moments. But then again, the defense is so organized and it seems a lot of that comes from his leadership.

FWIW, I am certainly not advocating blind voting - esp. if you don't think a player deserves to be there.

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    The voting so far is only the fan vote, I would think things would change dramatically when the media, coaches and players have their say. I don't think you will see guys like Adu, Pope and 'Heydude' so highly thought of. CC will certainly try to be fair with his five picks but when in doubt or it's coin flip I think his own players will get the nod. Garlick certainly has to get the call for one of the GK spots whether voted in or selected. The other question is how many can really come from one team even with the best record in the league? Ruiz, EJ and ROB look like locks with Garlick, Vanney, Simo and Goodson getting strong consideration. When was the last time Dallas had so much involvement with the All-Star process.....oh, that's right, NEVER so enjoy it.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    exactly, you don't notice him and thats a good thing

6. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in this camp.
    I think he's been mostly good, but there a couple more in MLS I'd probably send to Columbus, including Goodson, before him, though I wouldn't object if he did get picked.

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today is the last day to vote.

Ruiz, EJ are good to go. ROB, Vanney and Garlick are all in the hunt. Goodson seems a bit far out, but don't let that keep you from voting for him if you want.

And I don't care what anyone else says, I'm going to continue voting for Simo.

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    It should be remembered that the fan vote is only 25% of the total and I'm certain the players and coaches are probably having a pretty good laugh at who the fans value at this point. Ultimately they(coaches & players) will decide the 11 voted-in All-stars and Colin will decide the rest (5). Oh yeah, and the commish gets two.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'm going to be so glad when this is over. :(

[Broken record]So we should just not vote?[BR]

Every group is going to have their own bias. And actially, the players and coaches COMBINED is 25%. The GMs get 25% and the media gets 25%.

Considering the media are all FCD inept beyond Ruiz and EJ, that has to be overcome.

Some GMs know the league, some don't. Did you see the idiocy that Lalas was spewing earlier this week about Adu? Payne is right - in any other league, that is a serious fine. The GM in Chicago is an idiot when it comes to soccer (no, not Wilt). LA? CDC - what a joke. Who IS the SJ GM these days? Colorado? KC?

So that is another group to be counterbalanced.

Of course, today is the last day, so I'm not sure what all can be done. But if you haven't voted today, please consider all of the idiots who will be voting in this from the GM, media and fan positions - and remember that all of the coaches and players have their own axes to grind - and think on whether to vote.

10. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Correction:

Fans - 25%
    Media - 25%
    Coaches & GM's - 25%
    Players - 25%

BTW, I'm not suggesting that people/fans not vote. I am saying that to say certain players are IN is incorrect, only 25% of the vote is in as of today and the people that actually know the game (coaches & players) haven't voted yet.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep - I read the ballot too quickly. Those numbers are right. Thanks for catching that.

I agree that saying certain players (other than Ruiz and EJ) are in might be incorrect - I say that because with all the idiots out there, it would take one hell of a stupid person to not vote those two in. MAYBE one of the NE guys slips in, but then CC will add the other when he picks his five.

(Why is it so tight this year?)