All-Star Teams announced

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by judymd, Sep 4, 2002.

1. judymd

judymd New Member

SOUTH ALL-STAR STARTING LINEUP
    GK Kristin Luckenbill Carolina 2002 WUSA Goalkeeper of the Year
    DEF Danielle Slaton Carolina 2002 WUSA Defensive Player of the Year
    DEF Jennifer Grubb Washington Has played in every minute of every Freedom game in two seasons
    DEF Joy Fawcett San Diego U.S. national team veteran has three children
    MID Hege Riise Carolina Norwegian standout is considered the world's best playmaker
    MID Tiffany Roberts Carolina Many coaches consider her the WUSA's best defensive midfielder
    MID Homare Sawa Atlanta Japanese star increased scoring production by 150 percent in 2002
    MID Julie Foudy San Diego Captain of the U.S. national team
    F Mia Hamm Washington The world's all-time leading scorer at the international level
    F Birgit Prinz Carolina German star was the MVP of Founders Cup II on August 24
    F Abby Wambach Washington Rising U.S. national team star was the 2002 WUSA Rookie of the Year

NORTH ALL-STAR STARTING LINEUP
    GK Melissa Moore Philadelphia Led the WUSA in goals against average (1.00) in 2002
    DEF Brandi Chastain San Jose World Cup veteran played forward and defense in 2002
    DEF Jenny Benson Philadelphia Newcomer to the U.S. national team should see action vs. Scotland
    DEF Jennifer Tietjen Philadelphia Was a finalist for the 2002 WUSA Defensive Player of the Year award
    MID Kristine Lilly Boston Is the world leader (men and women) in national team appearances (236)
    MID Lorrie Fair Philadelphia The midfield engine for the Philadelphia Charge
    MID Sissi San Jose Creative player tied for the scoring lead at Women's World Cup '99
    MID Tisha Venturini-Hoch San Jose Champion in the NCAA, Olympic Games, World Cup and WUSA
    F Katia San Jose Led the WUSA in scoring in 2002 with 15 goals, five assists for 35 points
    F Marinette Pichon Philadelphia 2002 WUSA Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year
    F Tiffeny Milbrett New York Portland native is the WUSA's all-time leading scorer (26g, 11a, 63 pts.)

Well, I'd say we're pretty well represented with five members of the Charge on the all-star team. Should be a fun game to watch.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I think we should have a petition to have Saskia Webber in goal for this venture in place of Melissa Moore.

I mean, 10-9 might be the score, and do we want to subject Moore to this onslaught.

No ones gonna play any defense, and with 3 in the back, it'll wreck Melissa's confidence
    ;)

So Pichon gets to travel from Denmark to Portland.

Who's paying for the travel??

And who's paying for the Charge travel for the friendly in Los Angeles??

3. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Hey Adam, would you consider swapping Meinert for Pinchon- if the funding is too great?

4. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I'll make a deal, you give us back Pia and you can have Pichon!!

I was just thinking about the flight, unless the FFF is paying for it, I wonder who has that sort of money, Paris-NY-Portland seems a bit expensive.

Interesting with Sermani being named NY head coach, the two filled openings are by people with international resumes.

Makes me wonder if Even Pelerud or Anson Dorrance will ever get hooked into WUSA??

Pelerud after 2003 might be looking for a new opportunity, and if WUSA begins to get fully established, getting him to coach would be an excellent move.

5. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I understand on the funding issue- I was miffed by Meinert's not being included on the starter list- a bit- and will be insanely miffed if she's not on the reserve list. She may have more talent that Mellgren... though she lacks the speed..she's amazing.

We're keeping Pia.

Pelerud seems to be staying put in Canada- and if he continues to work magic in Canada, our northern neighbors could one day challenge the world of football...

Dorance - IMHO- would be nuts to go into the WUSA.. that kind of security.. at UNC... do you think there's enough $ right now to woo him away.... seems sketchy to me at the best..

I was wondering if Sermani was going to be snatched up.. though I thought maybe SD would take him- closer to SJ.... though I suppose moves aren't a problem for him. And also with his wife working for SJ, too...

He's impressed me to no end with experience, etc..and hopefully will be magic making in NY... if nothing else, it's one less thing for NY to worry about.

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The thing with Meinert is the votes, and she got squeezed by name players.

As the U-19 in Edmonton showed, Canada has enough good players already to compete, and with Sinclair coming of age, they'll be able to win in China.

The day WUSA can get Pelerud or Dorrance, is the day the league is here for good.

You prove yourself at a certain level, and the quest is to see what you can do elsewhere.

And Dorrance and Pelerud could move anywhere if WUSA ceased to be. It's not like they can't return to college or the international ranks.

Sermani gets to have Aly Wagner as his gemstone, and with Wagner and Milbrett, he's got two good people to change the NY problem into a more pleasant situation.

Sundhage and Sermani have had tactical experience at the international game, which is a higher level than the collegiate game. They've been involved with more mature people than what you have in college, and this experience I think will help them in WUSA.

7. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Ah, yes, something this mountain climber had forgotten....... I haven't completed the NH 48 4kers, but already, I'm dreaming of 14kers on the Continental Divide...

Agree with you on all of the rest.. I suppose...

And, am very glad that NY has Sermani...

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    5's great; 7 would have been better...

But no Iverson or Lihong? Brandi and Trish got in on their reputations and their name value alone...I wouldn't worry so about Meinert; she'll join both of our folks on the reserve list.

Paul

9. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    From a Philly outsider... would you have rather seen Lihong instead of Fair? Or is that not a call you'd like to make.

Since Chastain didn't play the full season at D, does she only get 1/3 of a half there? :D

10. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Hey, we're the only 'North' team that made the post-season...

So why not be greedy?? :)

Yeah, that's the ticket :D

So who's everyone's reserves for the North, and does that include a goalie? If so, then Iverson, Janss, Lihong, Meinert and Beene. If not, then add either Kluegel or Mitts to the above-mentioned quartet.

Paul

11. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I like the quintent proposed.

I don't understand why only 5 reserves. Is it unfair to ask for (financially unrealistic, too) 7 reserves or 11 (each plays a half)? Is 5 due to the standard traveling roster?

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    This is an opportunity - hear me out

It was either that, or "Global warming in reverse comes to WOOSA"; they finally got the goalie right. It only took 'em THREE tries, but the third time was the charm.

Wash yer mouth out, Z! :D

Like I said, this is an opportunity for Melissa. Before today, she would have every right in the world to be feeling mighty torqued at the raw deal she's gotten in her pro career; yes, her career as a professional.

Remember, these numnuts who run the league who had the first-ever player combine in 2000 didn't even invite Melissa to it. Compound that with the double face-slap she got last month with the Goalie of the Year and Global XI fiascos. It was like telling her that her 2002 stats don't mean s**t, and that she's one step below a fraud; that if she were stuck with the PowerOutage and Spiritless, she'd have Webber-esque GAA, too. It is a belief that I find unsupportable and not based in virtual reality, let alone reality as we know it. How would you feel if you were in her shoes? That's an awful lot of motivation to prove to folks that you're the real deal.

What better place for all that to come out than in front of a national TV audience in an all-star game. To say nothing of the circumstances of the semifinal (the 18th minute) and trying to go 5-0 against Luckenbill in head-to-head meetings. Screw offense, try to win the game and try to Dominik Hasek their a$$es.

If she can pitch a shutout at the South, with all their firepower up front (and a suspect backfield; Fawcett?!!) I may be the only one to think so, her stock would skyrocket, and maybe; just maybe, shake Frau Heinrichs out of her lovefest for Beene, Mullinix and Scurry and give Melissa a chance at the Gold Cup qualification wingding. She deserves a chance to represent us in China next year, Adam, and do I need to remind you the outcome of the last time she had but 3 defenders in front of her in a match, televised, even?? :)

Paul

(the 7/20 Carolina game...)

13. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Being serious (if not PC) here

Do you honestly think that Heinrichs will give Moore a chance?

If and when the politics exit the playing field, perhaps...

We all know that performance and popular vote does not equal position and starting job- see our current president.

Should Moore get a chance, will the Liberty Bell ring again?

14. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    And another thing....

Just because there were 3 defenders in the voting doesn't mean Krikorian (or Marcia Marcia Marcia for that matter) has to play 3 at the back; why not a 4-5-1, or have him spring a 3-5-2 on the South, with Tietjen as the sweeper! :D It'll be like old times and McDermott STILL won't have an answer for it :p

Assistants were named as well today: THE Role Model for All Soccer Coaches in Perpetuity, Tom Stone will second McDermott and Ian Sawyers will be Riker to Krikorian's Picard...

as somebody said on one of the forums, McDermott/Stone should be quite interesting.

Paul

15. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    Look at the game this way.

Milbrett. Pichon. Katia. How can any defender contain this combination? Yet alone three defenders who would not dare man mark.

Go north.

16. judymd

judymd New Member

Re: This is an opportunity - hear me out

Paul, don't make this more than it is. it's a silly exhibition game. it is not melissa's opportunity to prove herself. she has more than proved herself in two seasons. this game is just to have fun. it doesn't count - it doesn't matter. no one - not april heinrichs, not the people who voted for keeper of the year - no one - will look at this game as anything other than than an exhibition game.

17. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't you say the same about Prinz, Hamm, and Wambach?

Probably not going to be low-scoring, at any rate.

18. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    You're right, of course...

What politics could there be with Melissa, though? That's what I'm having a hard time grasping at. Maybe we can get FearM9's vaunted 'insider' e-zine to blow the lid off it (after he ragged on Charge fans as stalkers in his .sig line, that is :rolleyes: )

File it under wishful thinking. Scurry's best days are behind her, though, and Mullinix was the one in net when we lost the Olympic gold medal in Sydney. Does April really want to win next year? If she does, she gives Moore a look-see; if not, then stay the course and try and bluff herself into thinking that any of those 3 are the answer when they're not, not even Beene.

Paul

19. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    We have Melissa. You have Kristin. Kind of like "We're Buffy, you're Faith". So you'll be half-right, at least....

:p :D

Paul

20. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Mia hasn't played a full 90 since the Freedom's come-from-ahead tie against us on 7/14. And we know how well Birgit did against the NAIA graduate on 7/20 :)

Or in other words, North front line: Real Madrid (Figo, Zidane, Raul and Ronaldo) :p :D

Paul

21. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Re: This is an opportunity - hear me out

But listen to a level-headed voice in the 'Rays forum:

At least I'm not totally alone on this :)

Paul (as you might imagine, I'd like to win this one, even tho it's an exhibition... :cool: )

22. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Politics

Perhaps it's a case of loyalties to other candidates- and a refusal to see the new and improved. You max out on how many keepers you can have in camp, who you want to invest in, and you absolutely refuse to change anything else.

Old system works forever- old players stay around for eons. Right, wrong- well... look at Strom Thurmond (spelling?)- as could be said for another bunch of Washington-ites.

If Ape is comfortable with her crew, and she believes that they can perform, hey- why rock the boat?

The other consideration (of which I know little) is what is the "investment" period/time/expense of keepers...

We no longer see Branam being called up on a regular basis- as she was for a while. There were, if I recall, during the 2000 camps, about 4 young keepers..and solo seems to be the lone one who made it through...

23. The league is obviously looking for a goalfest. Who plays a 3-4-3?

The pairing I'm looking forward to seeing is Milbrett and Pichon. Combined, they might get into double digits in points.

As for the reserve 5, with DiCicco involved with the choices, some politics will come into play. Availability of international players will also be a factor. Here's my prediction:

1. Beene
    2. Meinert
    3. Sobrero
    4. Pearce
    5. R. Fair

Krikorian will want depth in the midfield and defense, and DiCicco will want additional representation from Boston and New York. As much as I would like to see Lihong and Iverson on the field, Mark will never get away with stacking the bench with Charge jerseys.

If nothing else, the game should be fun to watch.

Dwight

24. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Korea did in the World Cup.

Adam was right; all the Chinese players are home, so no Lihong definitely for the game. But E-I isn't Chinese :D, and should get a call.

Paul

25. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    So much to respond to and so little time to respond!!

Judymd has it right, this is a freakin exhibition, and pure entertainment, no one os gonna defend at all.

10-9 final

USA losing next year is needed for the older players, except for Millbrett to get retired internationally.

USA has about 30-35 players who can make the final roster just based on talent, but the old line players appear to have the John Harkes captain for life privileges, they'll go out screaming.

My view is WUSA play should be rewarded with national call-ups, and whenever Heinrichs holds her winter camp, everyone except the college players should be there.

These call-ups for friendlies with 3 or 4 days of practices are imporssible to give a fair look at MANY new faces.

So when 2 or 3 weeks camp exists, then the Moore's and Iversons and other worthy new faces need to be in that camp.

Otherwise, Heinrichs is doing herself a disservice.