All Star Omissions

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
  2. CrewFan1000

CrewFan1000 Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. Just posted on the MLS General Forum on this very subject, but was a little more objective there. Seems to me that if you are tied for first in the East, you deserve to have some players in the match, especially when the CBA for MLS gives bonuses for selections.

The point I made was the the two teams tied for first in the East, the Crew and Philly, have a total of one player represented, Philly's keeper Mondragon. Hell, the last place team in the league, Vancouver has a player in the 32.

3 players chosen haven't even started 1/2 of their team's matches, Agudelo, Marquez and Cummings.

IMO, Marshall, Gaven, Miranda and Hesmer deserved serious consideration.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not watch the "All star" match until the game goes back to the West v. East format.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not watch the "All star" match until the game goes back to using the countdown clock.

5. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares? It's a waste of time. I'm glad there are no Crew players to get hacked at by the ManYoo reserves.

6. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the league FO decides the Crew wont make it to national TV this year, well they make sure the Crew wont make it to national TV this year.

Honestly though the only 2 players from the Black and Gold I think deserve to be there are Chad and Ricky Bobby. Chad is hands down the right choice for the squad, yet I dont want him playing more minutes than he already does for someone else, (Sans the USMNT) because its always rolling the die with his noggin.

For Hesmer, I dont know who youd take off the roster and put him on for.

7. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I stopped watching the All-Star game years ago. And the last shred of my faith that the player selection was anything but a farce was done away with when Guille was ignored. So the fact that we get dissed by the league again means nothing to me.

The only problem I have with it is that I believe that being selected puts some extra money in the players pockets either from the league the team (incentive bonus) or both.

8. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    All Star games, in any sport, are shitty. The only way I would watch MLS All Stars is if the game plan to use players like Atiba Harris, Brian Mullan, Marcos Mondaini, and whatnot (maybe a guest appearance from Pittsburgh Steeler James Harrison) and guarantee some ManUtd legs got broken. I'd even make popcorn for it.

9. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I couldn't agree more with HHM and BG13. Aside from the lack of recognition (no big deal), this is only good (extra motivation to prove something, no additional injuries, etc. etc. etc.)

10. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. You could maybe argue for Miranda, too. He's a heck of a lot better than Corey freakin Ashe.

11. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, this doesn't bother me save for the fact that some guys might be screwed out of some extra cash, but as a fan and stated above, I'll take the rested player any day than the glorified Month of Money-Grabs. This and the friendlies can go to hell.

I don't care if certain clubs "want to expand their national footprint" here or whatever, it's a glorified money grab and fitness test for the other teams. And in certain pics by the Don you can almost see the pricetag following the player on ESPN that they hope to get for him. Last year had a certain young Philly player that was so obviously being pimped out that it wasn't funny.

I can't wait until we as a league can move behind because it still reeks of the days of OT, shootouts, and the clock moving in an odd way.

12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't care much for the ASG, I think it sucks that our outstanding players don't get the recognition (and bonus cash) they deserve.

Oh, and Marshall was named to his fourth team of the week. I believe that makes him the most selected defender for TotW. Yeah, he definitely shouldn't be at the ASG...

13. Midfiel-duh

Midfiel-duh New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we voted we could get some of our players in. I remember when the ushers would hand out ballots in the stands during home games. If we made a concerted effort we could get players on the roster.

14. Micheluzzo

Micheluzzo Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8kKEh8DGU"]‪Star Trek IV - I Hate You‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

15. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Guille get enough fan votes in 2008 to be selected, but then all the media, owners/gm's and players didn't vote for him almost at all so he didn't get picked? My memory is a bit fuzzy on this.

16. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    I am not even a little bit surprised. I do not understand why they just don't have LA play the game and call THEM the "AllStars!" I am sure it is what they really want. They

18. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sorry for jumping in your board, but I agree with this pretty much, and it seems like some LA fans think they didn't get enough picked. That being said there is absolutely no way that 4 Houston players get picked and not one Columbus player, Houston is 7 points behind you in the standing having played the same # of games.

19. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not to mention Salt Lake is a better team overall imo. When are they going to drop their Super Club delusions?

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ever happend to Kimo Von Oelhoffen? *ducks*

With that said, we don't need anyone injured in a meaningless game. Plus, it shouldn't be surprising no one was picked, considering this is the team with so few big-name players that only two of our games (played one so far) are on national TV all year.

21. TownKrier

TownKrier Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the players selected him the most frequently of any of the players, and the media weren't far behind.. but inexplicably only like 2 of 16 the GM's voted for him.

22. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Turned on a couple of minutes of the 2nd Half in tonight's MLS ATM... errr... ASG.

First, Houston who are currently 5th in the Eastern Conference and tied for 11th overall in the League have the highest representation on the All-Star Team (4 players). I had not realized that before.

Second, and maybe my wife slipped something into the dinner tonight but..., I swear that Harkes started a comment about Hans Backe and his bench for the second half and switched to finish talking about Ferguson and his bench. Not like a comparison sentence, but literally finishing a sentence like he was talking about ManU in the first place.

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match was pathetic, and totally a call for MLS to go back to east vs west. This should have shown the league that trying to play against the best in the world is not for us. And to hear that MU has outscored MLS teams 18-2? wow. What a waste of our time. Add in the Crew getting spanked and it just shows that these matches are nothing more than a money grab. It doesn't help the image of this league.

1 person likes this.
  24. Hooz

Hooz Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Hilliard, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to know what d*ck Tim Ream is sucking to get all the MNT call-ups and an ASG nomination? I mean, did anybody see the first 12 minutes of the game last night when Tim had two absolute howlers that almost led to goals (but someone else bailed him out both times)?

Seriously? This is the future of central defending in this country?

25. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But he plays for RBNY!