Alert: All Star Game Festivities and Schedule

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Jul 20, 2010.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The benches are usually on the West side, IIRC.

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Just got to the hotel, hope to see some of y'all out there tonight!

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you sir, you just made me the happiest boy in the world.

:D

See ya out there, I'll be rockin' the Quakes scarf/United shirt.:cool:

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the line waiting for the train approximately 5 minutes after the final whistle, driving and parking was a good call. Only $20.

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have seen it an hour after the whistle. Metro should have done better.

6. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    geez, you guys shoulda followed my example and left that debacle at 60'. yes, I just missed Chingy's goal, but I also didn't have to see ManUre's last three, and I rode an empty train back downtown...:)

7. totalfutbol11

totalfutbol11 New Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    If they didn't charge $20 for parking then there wouldn't have been such a crowd on the lightrail. God knows there were plenty of open parking left.

8. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    A few observations:

1. Thank God for the A/C in the stadium.
    2. To the Dynamo fans yelling "Hey Chicago Boy . . . .etc. (explicatives), thank you.
    3. The train is a complete joke.
    4. The 70,000+ fans were loud, the atmosphere was fun.
    5. The ManU fans from England were pretty fun to be around, the Fox Soccer Channel watching, American ManU fans were douche-bags.
    6. Did I mention the train is a joke?
    7. Good to see some of you at the Flying Saucer, now back to my air conditioning.

Night all.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    forget the train. this should of been mentioned twice. :D

10. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 goals and I got to meet Chapulin Colorado and I learned that Uncle Sam is Hispanic, doesn't get any better.

[​IMG]

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The conspiracy theory gene in me has always maintained that the reason that they so heavily promote/scare folks into taking the rail ("Traffic is expected to be heavy; you may be maimed or killed if you drive and park; we encourage you to take MetroRail") is to artificiallly pump up ridership because the line cannot and will not ever sufficiently support itself with normal traffic.

Its the same reason they discontinued many bus lines and routes to the Medical Center and replaced them with routes to the Fannin lot or Downtown with a transfer to the rail line for the final leg. Get folks on the rail one way or the other even though the line runs between two employment centers only (plus Reliant).

But when we left a bit early and saw the stream of folks headed for the station while almost no one was going to the cars, I knew it was going to be a long wait for most.

12. sliphornzak

sliphornzak New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, I've heard and read a lot of complaining about the trains. I don't get it, but maybe I'm just delusional. We got to the Fannin P&R at 3 PM. Took the train to Reliant and spent a couple of hours at the festival playing games and getting free stuff. Took the train back to our car dropped off our stuff, sat in the A/C for a while and had a couple of drinks. Took the train back to the station and got their just when the doors opened.

After the game we hung out in the stadium until about 10 then walked back to the train and got in line. We were back in our car and travelling down 610 before 11. Honestly pretty painless, and we spent way less than the $25 they were charging for parking. I would definitely do it the same way again.

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a night!

Walking ftmfw. :D

14. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We rode to the game from our hotel with no problems either, bet we left a little before 10 and the line looked ridiculous. But seriously, it might have only been one or two trains to knock it down. I don't know, cause our hotel was just one station away and walked, no big problem. A lot better than paying $25.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We took the train downtown all the time. Parked by the Southmore station and rode down for a night out or for an Astros game. Not only painless but much better than finding parking and having to worry about who drives after a few "pops"

17. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes u feel any better the rail is always that bad after a big event. Rodeo, Texans(if its a close game), etc. its like they are clueless to the extra traffic. Metro is a great example of what happens when government gets their hands in something

18. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    yeah you should see Chicago after a Cubs game . . . :)

19. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or New York after a Mets/Yankees/Giants/Jets game. Only the Knicks/Rangers (in the heart of the city with lots of lines) have it easy.

20. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    Read your own post and maybe you'll get it...You arrived very early and stayed inside the stadium fairly late. We left the stadium just after the trophy presentation and the lines at the train were ridiculous.

Actually to clarify, there were two problems, not enough trains, and NO organization. They were attempting to funnel both North and South bound passengers through one gate. But there were no clearly marked lanes to seperate North bound from South bound passengers. Houston Police Officers (NOT Metro police) on hand were giving conflicting directions and it shouldn't be HPD's job to give Metro directions in the first place!

A bunch of hot, sweaty, smelly, half inebriated people ended up walking through, over, around and in between each other trying to find a quick path to the train.

Frustrated with this crowd, at least hundreds of people ended up walking back to the Fannin South park and ride. I'm assuming most of these people had purchased round trip tickets which meant that Metro can count them as paid riders. In reality, since the tickets were unused, they were all making cash contributions to an inept transportation authority. My wife and I came out of the game with huge smiles on our faces. 30 minutes later I was about to punch the next person who tried to shove ahead in the Metro line. Metro is joke and it always has been. The train was far and away the worst part of the All Star experience.

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in Seattle there was a big crowd waiting for the train after the MLS Cup game but theY all pretty much fit on one train once it got there. Maybe that happened at Reliant too, but we didn't stick around to watch. It seems like they wood have had more trains running after the game was running though.

22. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid $20 and parked. It seemed to me Houston underestimated the crowd. I've had a much easier time getting out of the parking during the Rodeo. The times I've used the train it's been chaos getting on the train after an event, but I've never had to wait for more than one train to get on.

23. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't use the train then, pay the 20 bucks and press your luck trying to find a parking space.

We had no problems, because we planned and arrived early, when I can't find parking tickets for Texans games, I ride the train,, knowing that a lot of people will.

This was a soldout game, 70,000 fans, not a texans soldout game in which they sell all tickets but lots of STH don't go and many corporate tickets go unuse.

Lots of people, lots of cars, if you are not expecting parking/train/traffic/problems, then you just don't get it when you go to an event in which pretty much will arrive and leave at the same time.

If the US gets the WC and Houston gets a few games, don't plan on attending if getting early, lots of traffic, lots of people is something you dislike.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue is that they heavily promote and push the MetroRail then basically neglect the actual operation of it. Since I got the heck out of there it wasn't an issue, but it did not seem to me like they had added extra trains just for this based on what I saw driving up Fannin.

The Rodeo is pretty well organized with it (they have to since so much parking is eliminated by the carnival, etc.) but you do have a more spread out outflow of folks.

It's a really large glorified shuttle bus, not a efficient rail operation.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't compare the Rodeo to a sporting event. People show up at different times throughout the day and a dcent portion stay after the performance. I would use a Texans game as a decent comparrison - never been to one so someone else would have to compare.