All-Star game 2004 DCU edition [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by tmas, Jul 31, 2004.

1. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Am I really starting the first thread for this at 10:21 PM? Or did I miss something? Anyway my quick player evaluation, Moreno: didn't play so good but maybe Nowak told him not to push it. Kovalenko: solid game, nice job setting up the PK and clearing a certain goal off the line. Adu: flashy, but also played pretty good, very creative. Esky: good game, stretching the West defence, and scoring a very nice goal to the far post which will give him a huge confidence boost, which is great. Game itself was a snoozefest but I guess what else can you expect with heat like that. Oh yeah, and nice job to Nowak for getting, in his first year of coaching, his first MLS All-Star game win.

2. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah thats pretty much how i felt about the players. all played well but moreno, he was 2 slow.

3. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    i'm glad i didn't spend what could have been 40 bucks for this game...

4. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia

My thoughts exactly.

5. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well gee umm ya. I think it just MIGHT be because most of the regs that post here were still out in the city partying it up until very recently. And you have to remember, we have been going strong since 10am, some longer, so im sure the last thing most wanted to do when they got/ get home is post on bigsoccer, as much as we love it.

Great match's great fans, great day all around! (even though it was SWELTERING HOT on the sunny side.)

And I just shot my 500th post on the thread! :rolleyes: LOL!

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh rub it in, will ya!

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    To be honest, I've seen a lot better All-Star games.

What's w/the defense? I brought a buddy of mine and he wasn't impressed.

The purpose of an All-Star game should be to entertain and score 10 goals minimum and have fun. Too bad that didn't happen.

8. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many step-overs was that from adu, 6?

9. AB727

AB727 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Agreed, except with one thing.

I actually thought Moreno worked very hard, at least at first. I think he got a little tired towards the end of the first half - due to the heat, and due to Damani Ralph just f***ing up every time he got the ball.

And you just have to laugh at the Ronnie O'Brien - Dema connection. Ronnie pushing Dema for the East PK, and then Dema clearing Ronnie's sure goal off the line.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Horribly boring game. I blame the linemen for calling offside far too often. Hell, they shouldn't have called it at all. Let the players score. The All Star game is meaningless, so they might as well let them run up the scores.

11. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    We left after about 20 minutes. The combination of heat and alcohol took its toll. The legends game was entertaining though.

12. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia

Agreed. A few years ago people were complaining that the all-star game is not a real game, that the players just sort of stood around and there was no defense, that they wanted to see a real game. Well I don't, I liked the 12 and 13 goal games. They were entertaining. Bring back the old all star game mentality - no defense. Like people said, it doesn't matter anyways, so why make it a real game? The players should entertain and attack, Freddy had the right idea. Granted, the heat didn't help.

13. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

some at the midfield line even!

14. feverPitch

feverPitch New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    N. VA
    Nice goal by Eski; he deserved it. The Dema- O'Brien thing was pretty funny. It really sucks for O'Brien about getting his goal played off the line, but that was a good play by Dema.

I had trouble rooting for the East players from other teams.

I didn't think the first half was too bad, but there was a lot of walking in the second half.

15. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Yeah, on the television screen you could see La Norte loving the MetroStar Guevara when he scored on his penalty kick.

16. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, I was thinking that but still a little suprised.

17. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe they should leave the refs at home and have the players call the fouls as they happen. Make it more like a pickup game. :D

18. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The legends game was really cool. Good to see some of the "old timers" out there. You could tell they all were having fun. Just wish more people had been there for that match.

The East-West game was ok. While I would have loved to see more goals scored, but with the heat, and the fact that this hasn't been exactly a high scoring league this year, I'm not surprised at all.

The tailgating was great, people were there well before and after and that made it all the more fun, despite the oppressive heat. Not to mention a bang-up job by SE on the after-party/silent auction. Although I caught some flack from UCP for letting the metrotard girl win that autographed ball.

19. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The highlight of hte match for me was some girl yelling "Landon you're a ************" when he came over to take a corner. She wasn't joking, there was real hate in her voice.

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I could hear the chants for DC United throughout a large protion of the match.
    Good going guys, way top show home spirit!

21. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Hey, I tried to put a stop to that as best as I could. Besides, Dema set it up, so the way I see it, it's his penalty. Guevara can still go to hell. If it were completely up to me, there would be no cessation of hostility whatsoever.

And we did our part taunting a few Metro fans before the Legends game:

Me: So what do you think the score will be today?
    Shawn: Probably 7-6.
    Sachin: Oh, I don't know...6-2?!

22. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was still impressed with the amount of hatred on our part of our Atlantic Cup rivals. Those damn Metroturds need to go down!

23. diane123

diane123 New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I have to agree I thought jaime played o.k. He made him-self available alot and didn't have any nice balls put thru for him, Damani was all about making himself look good but didn't really happen. The heat was unbearable sitting watching the game I can't imagine what it was like playing out there.
    I thought deema looked good and a great goal for Alecko and adu looked like he is finally finding his feet in this league. It certainly was not like the rest of the all-star games {not a lot of goals} or maybe watching the watching the legends play first took all the excitement from the game. I think next time we should play the all-star game first and the legends second just to keep the excitement there. but over all a great weekend.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It wasn't the humidity, it was the heat! Oh, man, that was intense.

Saw a lot of people start heading towards the exits around Minute 75.

25. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Man, that was drivign me crazy too. I thought doesn't this joker know this is an all-star game?

The oldies game was definitely WAY more entertaining. Is Juergen Sommer available? ;)

THe only thing that made the whole day worthwhile was how excited my daughter was when she got Freddy's autograph. That made her year.