All Rocks Golden Boot 08/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Clan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Third Group Stage: Week 5 Results.

Group A.

Suttons Slippers 5 - 3 Sasha Juniors
    Old Peculiar 4 - 5 Blechs Dawgs

Group B

Crazies 2 - 1 AC Milano
    Pork Soda 3 - 2 Bettermirror

Group C

Aviators 6 - 4 ColdDogSoup
    Southside Saturns 2 - 6 LSG

Group D

Raytown Rangers 2 - 3 Vegas Virgins
    DuckButter Bandits 3 - 2 ThisisAnfield

http://www.freewebs.com/stamfordblue/GoldenBoot.html

Week 6 fixtures

Group A
    Old peculiar v Sasha Juniors
    ChrisSuttons Slippers v Blechs Dawgs

Group B
    Pork Soda v AC Milano
    Crazies v Bettermirror

Group C

Southside Saturns v ColdDogSoup
    Aviators v LSG

Group D
    Duckbutter Bandits v Vegas Virgins
    Raytown Rangers v ThisisAnfield

Week 5 is in the books, history, as they say.
    Oh, but what interesting match ups we have coming in the final week!

Blechs Dawgs leads group A after winning his match up against the most unlucky team in this years competition.Old peculiar yet again scores high, but loses out by the odd goal in nine.If there were a way to let him advance, he would have it.
    Alas, the scores are final and a sad farewell is bid to a truly epic performance on his part.
    Blech is not there quite yet, ChrisSuttons Slippers pulling off a second striaght win to climb out of the drop zone, a game he couldn't afford to lose or face elimination.
    But, win he did and now faces Blech in the final week, both are facing a near 'must win' situation, as Sasha Juniors could nip past the loser with a win over Old Peculiar.
    A draw between Blech and ChrisSutton would probably suit Blech, as he has a 5 goal advantage over our prince of the highlands.....but it could be nail biting time for both if either team doesn't but something on the board.
    Of course, looking at it closer, both ChrisSutton and Sasha could both lose, then we'll have to tally the scores, only one goal seperates them on the first tie-breaker, so even a high scoring defeat may not be a death blow.............time will tell!

Group b is rather simpler, relatively speaking, the top two are already qualified for the quater-finals and both square off for the top spot.Pork Soda needs but a draw to advance as group winner.

Group c is still a humdinger!
    It's all changed after this round of results, yet two points remain between first and fourth.
    Aviators currently lead the group, after a huge win over previous leaders ColdDougSoup, LSG followed suit with an equally huge win over Southside Saturns.
    No advantage in fixtures for anybody in this group, all four teams are definitely in the 'must win' category, total scoring is pretty close for the top three, so draws will revert to actual 'goals' scored if needed for tie-breaking.Southside saturns does find himself at a dis-advantage in this department though.Too close and too hard to call in here...hell of a group!

Group D is a mirror image of group B, both leaders square off as qualified and looking for a win to finish as group winner, a draw favouring Vegas with his three point lead over rival Duck Butter Bandits.

Quater-finalists will be known soon :)

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Sasha Juniors had 4 goals/assists this past week, not 3. It's still a loss, but the additional goal/assist puts them even with CSSlippers with 9 points and 12 goals/assists should it come down to a tiebreaker between them.

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

ssshhhhhh!!! :D

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Let me check...

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Right you are.

A certain players score was too slick with gel to catch....:D

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I see why....

That actually makes a huge difference, you are now 'still' in the drop zone, as Sasha has you on the second tie-breaker, total of actual goals scored.

You can send Blech a nice thank you PM :p

http://www.freewebs.com/stamfordblue/GoldenBoot.html

7. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    The real queston was what was Noble doing in the starting lineup in the first place with 3 million pounds in the bank. I suffered through watching the first half of the West Ham and West Brom match. West Ham is absolutely lost without Carlton Cole and Behrami. Neither team could make it to the MLS play offs. Parker was doing a Santa Claus stint of gifting balls to the West Brom midfield. To sum up each goal keeper recorded 1 save.

Finally, as Fraser laughed of my analysis last week of a possible Golden Boot point for a goalie, I think he is now s************ing in the corner.

So Group A goes to the final round with 3 possible teams going through. All 4 teams are in the top 10 of the Fantasy Olympics (2,7,8 and 9).

Sasha Juniors coaching squad scratch their heads not knowing what is worse. Losing Arteta, having Wenger bench Van Persie for the give me matches so that Arshevin can have all the fun or watch Ashley Young run around the pitch like a 5 year old chasing a butterfly in the playground as his Woody Allen / Elvis Costello impersonating manager hops up and down on the sidelines. But they will take their 3 goal lead and hope to make it through.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i can smell the stench of fear from all the way in Glasgow... :D

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    North of Hadrians wall there is a stench alright...not sure if it's fear though...

Bwahahahahah :D

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ah yes, the old Hadrian's wall fallacy. a little reading of Scottish history will inform you that we actually built that on the way back from ransacking York so we could keep the English out.

FRRRRREEEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

and that smell is haggis. tastes great once cooked though. ;)

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Slim pickings in goals/assists so far.

Those with Crouchino are in good shape though.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Third Group Stage: Week 6 Results.

Group A.

Old Peculiar 4 - 5 Sasha Juniors
    ChrisSuttonsSlippers 5 - 4 Blechs Dawgs

Group B

Pork Soda 0 - 5 AC Milano
    Crazies 0 - 0 Bettermirror MCFD

Group C

Southside Saturns 1 - 3 ColdDogSoup
    Aviators 1 - 4 LSG

Group D

DuckButter Bandits 6 - 5 Vegas Virgins
    Raytown Rangers 3 - 6 ThisisAnfield

Final game of the round in the books.

Group A, in what must seem like a version of fantasy punishment for Old Peculiar, sees him score high eyt again, only to lose yet again.This time his tally of 4 is bettered by Sasha Juniors, who needed to win to advance as Belchs Dawgs went down to Suttons Slippers.Fortunately for the Dawgs, their goal scoring through the previous 5 games is enough to see them through to the quaters in what turned out to be a three way 12 point tie at the top of the group.

1. Blechs Dawgs
    2. Sasha Juniors
    -------------------
    3. Chris Suttons Slippers
    4. Old Peculiar

The final game in Group B turned out to be quite anit-climatic in comparison.
    Battling for the top spot, Pork Sodas team failed to turn up and allowed AC Milano to romp home 5-0 winners and clinch the group by two points.

1. AC Milano
    2. Pork Soda
    ----------------
    3. Crazies
    4. Bettermirror MCFD

Group C finally has closure.At the end of the round only 3 points seperated first from last.Previous leaders Aviators had an unfortunate week to turn in on eof their worst performances of the year, scoring but once.LSG took full advantage of that, knocked in four and clinched the second group qualification spot.Southside Saturns hopes were dashed by a 3 goal performance from the other mongrels :)D) ColdDogSoup, who finished top of the group on goals scored.

1. ColdDogSoup
    2. LSG
    ------------------
    3. Aviators
    4. Southside Saturns

Group D was only battling for group winners, which actually went down to the fifth tie-breaker (total of actual goals scored in head to head meetings) to decide who won the group, after Dcck Butter reversed his opening group loss to Vegas Virgins, winning a shootout 6 to 5.

1.Duck Butter Bandits
    2. Vegas Virgins
    ----------------------
    3.ThisisAnfield
    4.Raytown Rangers

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well as long as we are "advancing mongrels" :)D) then...

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Indeed.

You actually won the group btw - got up and LSG mixed up.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    All Rock Golden Boot quater-finals - First leg

Duck Butter Bandits - Pork Soda

Blechs Dawgs - Vegas Virgins

AC Milano - LSG

ColdDogSoup - Sasha Juniors.

16. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    the Dawgs were pleased with their performance this past round and very happy to be through. condolences to CS Slippers who go out with 12 points (more than one group winner), but they probably get what they deserve relying on their goalie for assists the past two weeks!!!

the Dawgs have gathered around the computer waiting for the posting of the pairings for the next round, and are not looking forward to a very unfavorable matchup that neutralizes are key weapon (as well as a couple of others).

keep up the good work.

17. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Glad to have survived the season-ending injuries to round one heroes Arteta and Defoe as well as the complete loss of form of another round one mainstay in Robinho (who chipped in with a true-to-current-form penalty miss this gameweek).

Now things really get interesting! Good luck to all survivors...

18. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Looking back at the active scorers list coming into the last round that was on page 27, it is interesting that AC Milano was the only team that was not in the top 8 at that point to survive the last round.

As for the quarterfinal matchups, I've added in parentheses each team's scoring on the season and in the last round (working from the numbers on page 27).

Duck Butter Bandits (99/19) - Pork Soda (87/10)

Blechs Dawgs (96/21) - Vegas Virgins (106/19)

AC Milano (76/18) - LSG (109/18)

ColdDogSoup (95/19) - Sasha Juniors (98/17)

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Clan, Can you explain how this head-to-head round works, how the home-away comes into play (if it does), and the tiebreakers?

thanks

20. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Re: All Rocks Golden Boot 08/09

The remaining 8 teams are the quater-finalists.
    Quater-final teams will be seeded.
    1 v 7 Game A
    3 v 5 Game B

2 v 8 Game C
    4 v 6 Game D

1st seed = Best group winner record.
    2nd seed = 2nd best group winner
    3rd seed = 3rd best group winner
    4th seed = th best group winner.

5th seed = best 2nd place finisher.
    6th seed = 2nd best 2nd place finisher.
    7th seed = 3rd best 2nd place finisher.
    8th seed = 4th best 2nd place finisher.

Tiebreakers will be used if necessary, and will be inclusive from the begining of the competition, not just the previous second group stage.

Total of 2 gameweeks to complete.
    4 teams eliminated from competition.

Final four

The final four will enter the fouth, and final group, round robin play to determine the 08/09 Golden Boot winner.

Total of 6 Gameweeks to complete.

So a nerve wracking final 8 weeks

21. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Dissapointing to go out at this stage but I think I was a little fortunate to be in it this long, considering the number of goals/assists I've had compared to other teams. The Saturns have definitely saved most of their goals/assists for 'strategic' fixtures to keep me in this long. Maybe if Adebayor hadn't got injured, things could have been different.:rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone still in it.

22. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Re: All Rocks Golden Boot 08/09

Thanks Tarvinodos. I had found this, but it seemed to raise more questions than it answered with the reference to tiebreakers being inclusive from the beginning of the competition as I would have thought that would be the last tiebreaker.

Is the first tiebreaker goals/assists by each team during the two weeks of this round? If that is even, I would have thought that the next tiebreaker is away goals/assists (as otherwise the home-away designation is meaningless)? And only then, if that is still even, would we go to the goals and assists from earlier rounds???

But I read this differently. If each team wins a game or if they tie both games, is the first tiebreaker goals/assists during the entire tournament?

Or is it something else?

Please excuse all of my questions. It's new to me to still be alive in cup competitions at the end of the year. :D

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Blech, the tie-breakers can be found in this post (from November).

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16262648&postcount=107

The reason I have been posting the season to date scoring of the active teams, is to keep it up to date for possible use in quater-final match ups, if necessary.

Obviously, the quater-final will be treated, first and foremost, as a usual quater-final is.
    However, it would not be 'right' to bump somebody based on scoring in any one stage of the three rounds of group play, therefore, if necessary, all stages will be included, if the need arises.

24. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    a valiant effort by my team.

good luck to all that are left and especially Sasha Juniors and Duck Butter Bandits. do it for Dust guys! :)

one cup competition left for me and the all important Dust League run in.

a hugely enjoyable cup competition Clan. hopefully i can go one better next season.

2 assists for Reina. :p i'm loving it.

25. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    well, i think i'm in decent shape on the repping the organizer category should it come down to that one. :) i use that as the final tiebreaker in the BE-Cup as well ;)