All Rocks Community Shield - 2022-23

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by blech, Jul 30, 2022.

?

Using last seasons results, how should we determine the All Rocks Community Shield participants?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2022.
  1. Golden Boot - Team 1

14.3%
  2. Olympics Cup - Team 1

28.6%
  3. Rothmans Medal - Team 1

14.3%
  4. Statler & Waldorf Cup - Team 1

28.6%
  5. Super-Eliminator Cup - Team 1

28.6%
  6. All Rocks Overall Winner - Team 2

71.4%
  7. Small Winner - Team 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    With the Community Shield played today, I thought, "Why don't we have an All Rocks Community Shield?" It would be played each year in GW1, and provide the first silverware of the season! Thoughts?

The "real" shield pits the winner of the previous season's FA Cup against the winner of previous season's Premier League (or the league runner up in the same team wins the league and the FA Cup). Mirroring that:

Question 1: Which of the various Cups should be used to determine the "Cup" participant?

Question 2: For the "league winner" participant, should it be the winner of Small, as the top division, or the winner of the overall score in All Rocks, irrespective of division?

If I've set the poll up correctly, you can vote twice -- one vote must be for Question 1 (Team 1) and one vote must be for Question 2 (Team 2).

If you are curious who won the various cups last season (and in prior seasons), it has been updated in the All Rocks History thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-rocks-history.1037611/page-4#post-40612859
    But, the vote in this poll should be to set the matchup for an annual competition moving forward, so consider voting based on how this should be set up long-term, not just what gets you into the Shield this year....

Feel free to lobby below for the options you support (or oppose).....

The poll will close in 4 days. The Shield would be played in GW1. If it ends in a tie, I'd propose no tie-breakers and a replay the following week!

tarvinodos, glorydaze and lobomojo repped this.
  2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Bumping to encourage more voting before the deadline....

Reminder that you have two votes, but can only use one for a "Team 1" selection (preferred cup) and one for a "Team 2" selection (although this decision so far looks unanimous). PS - voting is public, so if you've for two "Team 1" selections, your votes will likely be thrown out....

Based on the early voting, it is currently a 3-way tie between the Statler & Waldorf (a head-to-head format run on the FPL site), the Olympics (points awarded each week to the top 3 teams), and the Super Eliminator (which puts the winners of the single eliminator and the double eliminator up against each other at the end of the season). Deadline is less than 48 hours away. Cast your ballots.

If we don't get a clear winner, we could make it a 4-team tourney of champions, with semis in GW1 and then championship for the Shield in GW2, but let's see if a Cup emerges as the winner.

3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    The vote didn't get us very far in selecting a Cup or Cups for the Community Shield. And, upon reflection, perhaps it was not a good idea in the first place to have this kind of vote that pits Cups against one another. They are all unique and worthy of being counted equally, which fueled the creative idea--whispered to me by someone else--to select the Cup participants by scoring the Cup finishes using a 3, 2, 1 scoring format. All Cups that included all All Rocks teams were included in the scoring.

I also opted for a 4-team, single elimination format, with 2 Cup teams on one side and 2 teams based on overall points on the other side.

The scoring chart for the 2021-22 Cups (1st (3), 2nd (2), 3rd (1)) is posted below. Top of the table ended up:
    blechs_dawgs ------ 9
    Tangers FC --------- 6
    Game of Ohhhs --- 6

In the event of a tie in 3-2-1 Cup scoring, actual Cup wins would be the first tiebreaker and overall points for the season is the second tie-breaker. Both Tangers and Game of Ohhhs won one Cup last season, so we went to overall points, which gave the edge to Tangers over Game of Ohhhs, and pits blechs_dawgs vs Tangers in the semi-final of the top 2 Cup teams. The two teams finished top 2 in last year's Olympics and Rothmans, with each coming out on top on one occasion.

The 2021-22 overall all rocks table ended up:
    blechs_dawgs ------ 2146
    Keysersoze --------- 2114
    Tangers --------------- 2064
    Kicking & Scre ------ 2064 (did not return in 2022-23)
    Glorydaze ------------ 1992
    Game of Ohhhs ----- 1984

After removing the Cup participants (and the team that did not return), the top 2 of the remaining teams in overall score gives us a second semi-final of Keysersoze facing Glorydaze, a rematch of last season's Golden Boot final.

So, the All Rocks Community Shield to kick off the 2022-23 season is set:

GW1
    dawgs vs Tangers
    Keysersoze vs Glorydaze

GW2
    Winners for the Cup

If any matches end tied, we will simply replay the next GW.

PS - If anyone wants to take over next year and revise/change the format, feel free!

2021-22 Cups & 321 Scoring.png

**Game of Ohhhs and Top Shelf finished tied for 3rd in the Olympics, and each received 1 point. Tangers and CSS lost in the Golden Boot semis and there was no 3rd place game, so they each received 1 point.

glorydaze repped this.
  4. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I double backed into this one. Good luck Keysersoze! :rolleyes::cautious::D

blech repped this.
  5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Friday and Saturday games are in the books. Still 3 games on Sunday to play, with everyone having plenty of players in action....

GW1
    Semi-final 1 (cup side) -- dawgs vs Tangers

dawgs = 38 + De Gea + Dalot + Dias + Fofana + Maddison + Daka [Eriksen as Sub1]

Tangers = 27 + Ederson + Wissa + Grealish + Mahrez [+3, -1, -1 as Subs1,2,3]

**With Ederson and Dias potentially being a wash, Tangers has work cut out to make up the gap and will be looking for Grealish and Mahrez to assist each other multiple times.

Semi-final 2 (points side) -- Keysersoze vs Glorydaze

Keysersoze = 18 + Fernandes(C) + Bowen + Bernardo + Tielemans [with Mbeumo, Trossard, and +2 as Subs 1, 2, 3]

Glorydaze = 27 + De Bruyne(C) + Cancelo + Toney [with +6, Fornals as Subs 1, 3]

**Glorydaze with a 9-point lead, while Keysersoze has an extra player still to play. Edge to Glorydaze, but with this one is still very much up for grabs with both players still having their captains yet to play.

glorydaze repped this.
  6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    GW1
    Semi-final 1 (cup side)

dawgs = 53
    Tangers = 40

Semi-final 2 (points side)

Keysersoze = 27
    Glorydaze = 54

The Community Champions' Shield final is set. Dawgs vs Glorydaze in GW2. For my dawgs, the points came from a double digit performance from Zinchenko, and returns (clean sheet, goal, or assist) from Dias, Targett, Maddison, captain Son, and Saka, while Glorydaze advances to the Final with returns from Pope, Cancelo, Azpilicueta, Martinelli, captain De Bruyne, and Toney.

Looking at the teams' first round picks and this past week's captains (Son for dawgs & KDB for G-daze), perhaps there is a slight edge in the Final to Glorydaze--in GW2, MCI has a favorable matchup hosting promoted-side BOU while the high-scoring Spurs should have their hands full as they travel to defensive-minded Chelsea.

===============

GW2 - Shield Final
    blechs_dawgs vs Glorydaze

Good luck @glorydaze

tarvinodos, glorydaze and kopiteinkc repped this.
  7. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be a nail biter. I hear Paddy Power is giving even odds. Must be buzzin about it in the UK.

blech repped this.
  8. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California

No nail biter here. Congrats. I away this week, so no write up from me until end of the week at earliest. Glorydaze to win first shield!

glorydaze repped this.
  9. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    The Shield.png

The first silverware of the season -- the first annual All Rocks Community Champions Shield -- goes to Glorydaze.

Glorydaze -- 95
    blechs_dawgs -- 26

Unfortunately for the fans looking for a competitive match, this one was over early. But for the anti-dawgs supporters (like Dr.H!), the celebration began early and never stopped. While there aren't official seedings for the Shield, Glorydaze only "snuck" into the Shield by virtue of Kicking & Screaming not returning, and last year's #5 took the opportunity and ran with it (and now finds itself sitting at the top of the table with a smashing Gold medal performance when it mattered).

Glorydaze got in a few words before heading off the pitch: "I told the lads that you don't always get chances like this. Step onto the pitch. Look up at the fans sitting in the top row, cheering wildly, take a minute to take it all in, and then put the ball in play and have fun. They seized the opportunity and the entire community couldn't be prouder of them."

Running through the scores, Digne (-1) and Wellbeck (2) were the only two players to score fewer than 4 points, while 5 players scored 9 or more, led by the captain: KDB (14*2), Cancelo (11), Watkins (11), Luis Diaz (9), and Toney (9).

For the dawgs, the only points came from Maddison (7) and Dias (6).

Congrats to Glorydaze!

tarvinodos and glorydaze repped this.
  10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    And, it's not too early to start thinking about next year's Shield. Get yourself to the top of the table and/or win yourself a couple of cups!

PS - I thought the 4-team tournament format worked well (even if not well for me!). There was obviously a strong correlation between the overall points on the season and the 321 cup scoring... I suppose that is to be expected as we would expect the teams at the top of the table to do well, and while there may be "one off" cup runs that allow a mid-table or lower team to grab silverware, the 321 likely puts the emphasis on more consistency. There are ways to alter it to see if can bring in one of those mid-table teams -- perhaps use the 321 for one cup team and then have the second cup team be the cup winner with the lowest total points? But if we're going to alter it, we should agree and set the rules for it now.....