All Rocks 2018-19 Intent To Continue

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, May 2, 2018.

1. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    It's that time of the season to get an early indication of who plans to continue next season.

After being involved since the beginning of these All Rocks Drafted Leagues, Aviators does NOT intend to play next season. It's been fun competing with everyone over the years, but I have other interests that will take the time I invested here.

I wish all of you well and hope you have many more years of fun competing in these drafted leagues.

Someone else will have to track the final standings and the promotion and relegation for each league including any manual scoring adjustments due to improper transfers. Also, someone else will have to research whether a team stayed active the entire or a majority of the season so as to be eligible to return next season in the same place they finished this year, not counting promotion and relegation.

Finally, someone will have to start the All Rocks Organizing Thread in early July and then recruit enough new managers to fill out the leagues.

Again, it's been great!

frasermc, glorydaze, kopiteinkc and 3 others repped this.
  2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Resignation not accepted. Say it ain't so....

3. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Hal, it has been a great run! I don't know when All Rocks started but I have enjoyed the 9 years that I have been in the league and all of the leadership you have provided.

kopiteinkc and lobomojo repped this.
  4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You will be genuinely missed, Hal. You are one of the keystones on which the All Rocks resides.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to my continued participation: I had said on another thread that I will continue only if we move to an automated drafted league system such as the one on the EPL site (In fact, that's the one I'd prefer, for consistency with the All Rocks history). I have found great frustration with the use of Google spreadsheet over the years and trying to figure out who is actually available and who is not given the spreadsheet is hard to trust. I was willing for a long while and had my method worked out, but that was in a time before fantasy provisioners had realized the potential popularity of drafted leagues and begun offering them.

Side note: My history in fantasy sports dates back to the early 1980s playing fantasy baseball when the only name for it was Rotisserie Baseball, based on a single book of that name. A crew of several of us formed a league named the Short Hop League with teams such as mine: the Paul Bearers, a fellow named Duggins who named his team 'Duggins Sioux Knives' (say it quickly and it becomes Da Ginsu knives after a popularly advertised knife), 'Rock Lonnsters' (fellow named Lonn) and so forth. We went to someone's home and did the auction draft in real time, sometimes with one person on the phone. We'd pour Yoohoo over the head of the winner (nasty). We would always be running over a week late with statistics because there was no such thing at the internet yet. We got the Sporting News and would manually type the statistics into a program one of the league members had written and produce a printed report that we'd photocopy and distribute. Then came two day delayed statistics in USA Today, then came the internet and a zero day delay for still manually typing data in. Then came the ability to get a data dump from such sources and importing it into our program... then came services that we adapted to.

That is to say, as the technology allowed lower labor and greater accuracy, we took advantage.

Let's do that with the future of All Rocks, too.

DrHeckle repped this.
  6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Respectfully, I would hope all would be open to some discussion and working towards some consensus, rather than starting with a my way or highway approach towards next season.

Personally I am a very strong proponent of staying with the same approach. Not only for continuity, but especially because The draft, as we do it, is my very favorite part of the experience, even if a squeaky wheel or two can get annoying. I especially enjoy the social interaction and the slow road studied approach and adjustments (even if half my drafted team is soon gone). Also I have yet to do an Auto-Draft that did not involve several glitches. Also though Google with out full participation can be frustrating on occasion, overall it works pretty well; and all one has to do is keep track of the official weekly transfer posts and bring up the 7 other team screens if one wants to be doubly sure.

Does someone in VSR and Sand want to step up and keep track of the standings and Promotion/Relegation Battles here for the last two weeks, and participation issues and expected returns or non returns; I will do so for Small Rocks unless someone else prefers to do so.

And along with intent to continue please mention if any newbies or return-to-fold-ees are in for next season.

frasermc, kopiteinkc and BalanceUT repped this.
  7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Small Rocks 2017-18

Rank Team Total Points Return Status Preferred Game Method
    1 Glorydaze GDaze 1856 Assume back ?
    2 FC St. Pauli Scott King - 1838 (-18) Assume back ?
    3 ColdDogSoup FC Lobo Mojo 1771 (-85) Back Prefer Same OG Game
    4 Top Shelf David Thomas 1768 (-88) Assume Back ?
    5 Sasha Juniors Thomas Johnson 1765 (-91) Assume back ?
    6 FC Weymouth Ryan Morrisson 1741(-115) Assume back ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aviators Sir Grandpa Hal -84 from safety 1657 (-199) Announced Departure ( pending result of Operation Hal Takeover) ?
    8 WhataBunchofMuppets Raurie Bye -197 from safety 1544 (-312) ? (Awaiting Operation Aussie coming to his senses) ?

Battle of Two for the Lead going to final weekend, well done.
    Mid-table
    4; don't recall ever such a close cluster for final prize places, with still some Do You Believe in Miracles hopes in double GW
    Relegation Aviators perhaps still a West Brommish chance; Muppets Down Under mourns

Please each manager add your info on intent to return and and using same game

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with a draft that takes several days. A good online managed league should allow us to set up 12 hour limits for each draft pick, for instance.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cool;

I prefer same; open to hearing other opinion,' another choice could be each sub-league decides its method

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have tried the official sites draft league and it is very boring - you can't see who you get each week until Friday because of the waiver system

I am back in for next season and Hal we will miss you.

lobomojo repped this.
  11. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absent penalty points I don't know about looks to be a to the wire two way race for both one promotion and one relegation spot.

Very Small Rocks

Rank Team & Manager GWRound Score TOTTotal Points
    1 ChrisSuttonsSlippers
    Fraser McInnes
    49 1971
    2 Journeymen
    Dave Pearson
    38 1848
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 Lords of Luzhniki
    Kemenes Kempinski
    44 1812
    4 FERGYREDNOSE2
    PHIL WATERS
    32 1753
    5 FC Epikoinos
    Eric Anderson
    33 1744
    6 Real Newark
    Bob Grundfest
    43 1682
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7 BiggerBoat
    Dr Heckle
    40 1665
    8 Keysersoze Wanderers
    Tony O'Halloran
    26 1518

12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absent penalty points I don't know about looks to be a three way squeaky bum race for last promotion spot.

As we are losing 1 or 2 so far the two relegation locks may escape the drop absent a horde of new entries.

Come on Powells' * bring your pelotas and Mama's cookies back to the playground....

Sand League 2017-18

Rank Team & Manager GWRound Score TOTTotal Points
    1 Tangers FC
    Kevin McGuire
    39 1918
    2 Parraraiders
    shane brakenridge
    32 1826
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 Kopite Juniors
    Chloe M Adams
    54 1815
    4 Morning Glory
    Patrick O'Hare
    34 1788
    5 Yellowcake Phantoms
    Jay Jones
    50 1637
    6 Potomac Highlanders
    Paul Bernhardt
    32 1622
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7 FC Yankees
    Cristian Tane
    23 1521
    8 Stormin gunners
    Norman Coyle
    96 1495

* @ vegas2u @ djangone

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    From Lobo: "Absent penalty points I don't know about looks to be a three way squeaky bum race for last promotion spot.

As we are losing 1 or 2 so far the two relegation locks may escape the drop absent a horde of new entries."

Good thought but not how we do it.

The relegated teams go to the spots 7 and 8 of the next lower league. The promoted teams go to the spots 5 and 6 of the next higher league, except when promoted to Small Rocks they go to the 7th and 8th spots. Teams that finished this season in 3rd through 6th start in the 1-4 spots.

Then when additional spots open up in a higher league, we go to the provisional line-up which means that the team who finished 3rd this season would move up. If two spots opened up, then the team that finished 4th would move up. The relegated teams have yet to move back into the league they were relegated from until the results are in for the next season.

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    see we can't function without you....

frasermc, glorydaze and kopiteinkc repped this.
  16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who else is gonna call me at midnight to let me know it's my pick?

glorydaze and lobomojo repped this.
  17. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sorry to see you go Hal. You were the one who invited me in from the old mfls site over a decade ago. I expect to see random moments of input from you on the forum next year as we muddle along without you.

I will be back. I am also set in my ways of using the current system but am very open to other options. Change needs to improve the experience, not just change it.

lobomojo repped this.
  18. Morrison8312

Morrison8312 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Weymouth back (although I cost my chance at a title with my inactivity )

19. bobfest

bobfest Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Real Newark will be back for 18-19.

As for the format, I do like the long draft best, but I would still play if we decided to follow the FPL draft format. Having said that, it might be worth thinking about filing up two or, if we can, three divisions with long drafters, then use the FPL draft to recruit new people. I think more people would initially be drawn to the FPL draft system and we could possibly have four or five divisions. Then we could introduce the new players to the longer draft for future years as they move up. The biggest challenge for All Rocks is to recruit players. I think a hybrid system would do that.

20. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Sasha Juniors back. Lucky to survive a season back in Small Rocks.

Hal, look forward to your return. Cheers!

21. scottk964

scottk964 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC St. Pauli, champion of Small Rocks and still drunk from title celebrations, will be back next year.

lobomojo, glorydaze and kopiteinkc repped this.
  22. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's taken me about a decade to get to the Rocks league summit. In that time I've moved cities, changed jobs, said a sad final farewell to loved ones gone and had two glorious little monsters arrive into this world before my very eyes.

Do I seriously need to be asked if I'm returning?

YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I AM

Oh, and I would prefer to stick with tried and tested as well.

BalanceUT, lobomojo, glorydaze and 2 others repped this.
  23. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's often about the journey and not the destination. Welcome grasshopper.

lobomojo and frasermc repped this.
  24. Wendys

Wendys Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Top (Middle) Shelf will play again. Thanks for a fun season!

lobomojo repped this.
  25. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Lost interest before halfway with the over replication of transfers. Currently enjoying a different style of comp where my own fantasy side contributes to a team competition.

Hence i won't be returning next year.