All-Purpose Soccer Parents Thread

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by becomingasoccermom, Apr 15, 2020.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I prefer, personally, to play against teams that play high, it gives opportunities to score.
    In fact this is one reason to play from the back, so that you can invite the opponent inward, and create space behind them.

CoachP365 repped this.
  2. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    If youre doing it right, you're teaching the team to remain connected vertically/horizontally. It's not so much a "high line" as "when they have won possession of the ball, we're getting into our defensive shape and we will engage them to get the ball back when they get to (pick a 3rd, or if you're on a field with football stripes, a specific yard marker :) )

If Jimmy Bigboot on the other team has the ball between his 18 and midfield and isn't pressured, I agree having your back line still at the halfway line is....questionable...

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    My bad-- had I known it was a tournament, I would have abandoned my beliefs for a trophy that the kid would forget about by high school.

In all seriousness, chill the f* out and let your kid have fun.

At dinner tonight I had a lovely chat with a kid that used to play for me-- does she remember our wins and losses (I doubt it) but she remembers the experiences she had. She is going to play club/intermural at super cool high level school

CoachP365 and soccerdad72 repped this.
  4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're missing the point.
    You can get lots of touches, lots of minutes and lots of development with very little cost by playing local pickup games or scrimmages (or league). You don't need to go to a tournament. There is little development value in playing a tournament, which is just a small sampling of the total minutes any kid will play. It's a poor use of resources. If you care only about development there are more effective ways than a tournament.

5. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Here's a good vantage point of Barca playing back to keeper and Cadiz moving high up with them. What does the keeper do? He's goes long and they get an easy goal. And that's tiki-taka Barcelona.
    Watch at 9:02
    I like the perspective, you can see the whole pitch. Notice Barca pulling in the yellow team and spreading them. Yes I realize it's not a typical Barcelona goal, but it's a nice illustration of space behind and how quickly it can be exploited.

And it doesn't matter that this is a pro team. The same dynamics apply to a pickup game at the park or a pro game. In fact I saw the exact same thing this morning at our pickup game. See it all the time at every level of play.

6. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    So tell the coach you don't want to go to tournaments any more. That you feel the kids can get just as much development by playing pickup locally. Problem solved, right? There ARE other reasons to go to tournaments other than just development OR winning.

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    The point is you are more concerned about results. There have been coaches on here who explained why they coach a high line, AND at that age group. You keep trying to convince us why it's "wrong". It doesn't matter how many examples you find of a team giving up a goal. If you don't like the strategy a coach uses, find another coach. Of course, you're going to have a hard time doing that a month into the season, so you'll need to wait until next year. Again, I GUARANTEE there will be something about EVERY coach you have that you won't like/agree with.

It's better, IMO, to acknowledge that, and let the coach do his thing. If you want to agree with everything the coach does, talk to the organization about coaching your child's age group next year.

CoachP365 repped this.
  8. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you do not play a tournament to win, unless it is state competition, which you do not have at U10.

Preseason tournaments have so many reasons to play:
    Did we add a new coach who needs some games to see players?
    Did we add new players who need to bed in with the team?
    Do we want to build a team atmosphere and have kids spend a weekend together?
    Are we just prepping for the season?

How many times do multiple people need to tell you that you don't get it before you look at things differently? Your child is going to quit well before high school. You need to chill out and enjoy your child's events as a parent, not as the next Richard Williams!

9. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ubbish-admits-that-he-loathes-all-the-passing

The whole point of it all is to move the defense. The 1st look is always for the ball that breaks the most lines, the default/failsafe is the ball that allows you to retain possession and look for the ball the breaks the most lines, lather rinse ad nauseum...

Good luck with next year's tryouts....

10. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #760 NewDadaCoach, Aug 21, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    I didn't say a high line is wrong. I said it depends on the situation and the opponent, and your own team members as well. Depends on a lot of things.
    Obviously many pros teams use it so of course it's not wrong.
    There really isn't a right or wrong style per se. It depends on many factors.
    Personally I am liking Brighton's (De Zerbi) style these days.

The coach is good. But as I said before, no coach is off limits of criticism. I would say actually every coach at every level should be criticized. It is par for the course.

You on the other hand give someone carte blanche just because they have the title "coach" and I don't think that's good.

11. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "It's only to overload the opponent, to draw them in and then to hit them with the sucker punch."

Have seen it so many times from Man City. Even from their goal keeper. He had an assist against my Spurs, it was painful to watch.

12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, I look at things different than you all, yes. I look at them more from an international perspective.
    But keep justifying the money hungry system (which expensive tournaments are a part of), which is part of the problem. Not saying they don't have value, of course they do because any play has value. And yes there is state tournament at u10
    There you all go missing the point again.
    The point is more about this - you can find a lot of 9 yr old low income brazilians who have never played a single tournament and they'd wipe any american kid on the floor. Maybe you all should ask why this is rather than just accepting the system carte blanche.

And hold up... your comment on Richard Williams tells me alot! You def would have told him he's crazy just like everyone else did.

13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Yup. Pretty much. As long as they are not physically, verbally, or emotionally abusing the kids, they get to do what they want. Do I agree with every decision a coach has made? Absolutely not. Was I glad to be "done" with certain coaches? Hell yes.

But that doesn't mean I videoed my 9yos game, much less go back to analyze what went right and wrong. That's not my job. I'm responsible for getting my kids to/from practice and games, encouraging them to work on their sport, and supporting them (and coaches) to the best of my ability.

Do I criticize coaches decisions? Yup. For MAYBE 24 hours after a game, and just to my wife.

CoachP365 repped this.
  14. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well you'll just have to accept that you way isn't the only way. in fact there are many ways.

my way is to be more hands on with his development. and no that does not mean i'm a slave driver. there are many kids doing more soccer work than mine. but it's a balance. kids need pushed a bit.

also as far as recording games, part of that is for the memories.
    and also i had cameras before he started soccer so why would i not use them? i have them so i might as well use them.

15. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Now, that's an entire other discussion that we've had, but can always have again.

Yes, it's expensive to be on a youth sports (not just soccer) team in the US. BUT, first, every team we've been associated with has had "scholarship" opportunities for low income, interested families.

That being said, do I like paying thousands of dollars every year for my kids to participate? No. Do I think the money is going to "grow on trees"? No.
    Do I think the money is going to come from the professional clubs like it does in other countries NO.

16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Where did I say not to push kids?

17. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I would have thought the same as you. Presidents Cup and State Open Cup don't start in my state until U13. We do have another tournament around the same time for U11 & U12, that's branded differently, but could be considered "State". No regional advancement however.

It looks like California takes that all the way down to U9 (at least CalNorth): upload_2023-8-21_15-5-28.png

18. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    correct, northern and southern CA both start at U9. The winners of those brackets play each other for the all the marbles.

19. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Here is an alternative way of doing things that one of the top clubs is doing here in Chicago (and I'm new to the ecosystem, so I might not have all of the details correct):

Have teams play in a league where there is no score kept or standings kept. That way, practices are for developing, and the league is for trying out how things that were practiced play out. The league is haphazard, where it isn't even necessarily just same ages or even sexes playing against each other, but similar playing levels always. Then go to tournaments to see how this work in practice and league shows up. The only games, then, that really matter are tournament games.

I'm not saying that I agree with this format, but the results are there. The team is successful in tournaments and in developing smart players while holding costs down to 1/2 or 1/3 of clubs in the area that are comparable (or generally worse) in quality.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A U9 or U10 State competition is asinine. Not surprised then that CA does one. Regardless, anything before 11v11 should be developmental in nature. Even the first couple years at 11v11 is not that important to win.

CoachP365 and CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  21. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    We have something like that for U8 and U9, minus the tournaments.

22. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    And to be clear, the league has many clubs in it; it's not within the club.

23. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That sounds intriguing. I would probably try it out if it existed here.

24. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    california
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It seems to me that the spirit of it is development. Hence why there are so many tiers (at each age level). And most of the games played are not the actual tournament (knock out), rather they are the "seeding" games which determine which tier you'll go to.

25. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    My state does that for USYS community travel at u9/10 since around 2018. They keep score on gameday but the reporting app doesn't display scores or standings.

The select travel side has been like that as long as I remember (2010).

It should go up to u12 at least on the community side, imo.