All-Purpose Soccer Parents Thread

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by becomingasoccermom, Apr 15, 2020.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Someone born in 2013 is a U8 player currently. Here's the chart...
    https://www.soccerwire.com/news/youth-soccer-age-groups/

If you KNOW someone born in 2012 (or 2011) is currently playing on a U8 team, complain to the league for allowing it.

If you are GUESSING the age based on size or something else, I suggest not listening to your gut.

2. dehoff03

dehoff03 Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Kids don’t always turn age group age during the season. My daughter is a U13, aka 2008, and with an October birthday she doesn’t turn 13 until after the season starts August 1. In fact, she’ll still be 12 when she starts as a U14.

In no way should a U9 be playing on a U8 team unless it’s some sort of Rec league.

3. Rory Bokser

Rory Bokser New Member

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 14, 2021
  4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
  5. justanothersoccerdad

Apr 5, 2021
    Beginning with U15 (next year, for us), yes---if only because my daughter has brought it up on several occasions recently. The great-memories reason isn't necessarily a bad one, although due to the expense/inconvenience (as noted by NewDadaCoach), I've chosen to wait until my daughter began to exhibit obvious curiosity about video analysis and use of footage to improve tactical knowledge. Use of video for recruiting purposes (if that becomes a reality for her) can come later (U16, etc.).

6. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #31 NewDadaCoach, May 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    It kind of makes me sad.

The teammates that my kid clowns around with the most are not very good at soccer. They eat bad diets and don't practice at home.

The kids that are more competitive - they do not seem to be having as much fun.

My kid is both competitive and really silly and fun.

It makes me sad that he'll have to move on soon to a more competitive environment and leave his fun friends. Why can't the fun kids just take soccer more seriously? sigh. Does taking soccer seriously make one less fun? idk. I hope not. Maybe it's the higher pressure from the parents that put a damper on kids' dispositions.

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    #32 sam_gordon, May 12, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2021
    Don't forget, he does not HAVE to move on to more competitive.

I think you're overthinking this. Competitive kids CAN BE fun also. If you're only seeing them on the pitch, that might be when they're serious (and there's nothing wrong with that).

8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think if he does not move on to more competitive, then I feel I will be shortchanging him. I feel he would not be getting good enough instruction.

Yes I'm sure some of them are. I was over-generalizing. I myself am serious and boring, so who am I to talk? Although when I was a kid I was a class clown. Not sure what happened.

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I'm very proud of my kids. I taught them a technique to do a free kick. In our league they are all indirect. So one kid must touch it before the other shoots on goal. So I had one tap the ball while the other shoots. It has worked several times. It's neat to see U8 doing this. It's very basic but a good start and is effective.

10. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Just to clarify... I hope by "tap the ball", you're actually having them kick the ball, not just step on it. The rule says "The ball... is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves... "

And if every restart is indirect, how is this not taught by the second game (if not the first)?

11. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Oh, well I mean tap as in step on it.
    The ref has always allowed this.
    The ref just says 2 players must touch it, ie you can't shoot it on goal unless someone else touches it.

But we could start having them move it too. That would be a good thing to work on.

Most teams will pass it to a teammate a ways away. Usually they won't just shoot it. Or they'll shoot it not knowing it's indirect and turnover the ball.

I copied this technique from another team. They were a great team. They did the tap and shoot thing, so I copied it.

12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    As long as you know what the rule actually says. I guarantee you'll run into a ref at some point that disallows the goal because the ball didn't move. And saying "All the other refs allowed it" won't get you very far.

Fuegofan repped this.
  13. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    "The ball...is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves"

doesn't say the ball has to roll any particular distance.

14. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    So if someone simply steps on the ball, does that mean it moves? Yes, some refs probably allow it. Just don't be surprised if you run into a ref who doesn't.

15. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Probably this venue has it's own rules. I think the rule they have for indirect free kick is simply that 2 people must touch it before it goes into the goal. It could even be that the shooter shoots on goal and the opponent touches its (deflects off opponent) and goes in and that counts.

16. soccerdad72

soccerdad72 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Apr 5, 2021
    That's always been part of the rule - if anyone touches the ball after it's shot, it's legal. A smart goalie will let the ball go into the goal on an indirect kick if he knows nobody else touched it.

sam_gordon and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  17. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    #42 saltysoccer, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    If you step on a ball with any weight at all, it will visibly sink into the grass/turf and rebound a bit. I’m sure you’re right, and it could be possible to get a ref who didn’t feel a tap was sufficient. The rules don’t say how the ref should judge “moved,” but neither do they say how the ref should measure that player was offside, etc.

18. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Really?
    https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

19. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
  20. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    OK. You bring out that argument when a ref calls back a kick. Let us know how it goes for you.

21. saltysoccer

saltysoccer Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 6, 2021
    All I can tell you is what the rule says. Arguing doesn’t work regardless.

22. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I asked a ref who seemed to be a senior ref and he said the ball just has to move. So yeah you can tap it as long as it moves at least a little, but it has to move otherwise the ref can't really tell that it was touched.

23. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    NewDadaCoach repped this.
  24. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    The other thing I asked about was how much space the other team has to give on a free kick. He said 5 yards for indoor (10 for outdoor). But he also said if the kicking team wants a quick kick (ie they just take it immediately) and the other team hasn't given space then the play goes on. In other words, the kicking team has to ask for the space, but if they'd rather just kick quickly sans space then that's ok too.

We are U8 so this is all new to our kids and a bit too much for them to digest but it's good to know how the refs think. I have told our kids to ask for space but kids this age, may take more time for them to get the confidence to do so.

25. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    #50 sam_gordon, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Actually the kicking team does NOT "have to ask" for the space. If, after a foul, an opponent goes right up to the ball and "statues" (and yes, you'll see it), the ref can immediately give a card (delaying the restart or failing to respect the distance). That's another penalty you won't see much. Usually the ref will just tell them to back away without the kicking team asking for it. Repeated "statues" could piss off the referee however and lead to a card.

This has also been talked about on the referee section here.

Yes, the kicking team can take a "quick kick" (assuming it's not a carded foul) if they so choose.

If you want to learn, I suggest going to referee section here and just reading.

dehoff03 and bigredfutbol repped this.