All Inclusive Sporting Stadium Discussion

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Oct 22, 2009.

1. crossmlk

crossmlk New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm starting to bet a little put out with the whole "only soccer games can happen at Sporting Park" mentality. The people of Kansas put up a whole lot of money to see Sporting Park built. A whole lot of those people attended or are Kansas State fans. To think that Sporting would turn their back on KSU which needs a place to host their spring game while their stadium is being rennovated, would seem beyond ungrateful to me. That our fans (full disclosure I an a fan of and have had season tickets to KSU football since 1995. I am also a fan of Sporting and have had season tickets since 1996.) would have a problem with this also reeks of entitlement and snobbery. I know people have worries about the playing surface. I do as well but that is a problem that Sporting and its ground crew needs to get sorted out. Arrowhead doesn't seem to have a problem hosting multiple football games in a short period of time even in the dead of winter.

jtreg repped this.
  2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    None since the new grass got settled, though. We haven't seen how it keeps up through a Kansas City summer yet, granted, but just 'cuz the old grass sucked doesn't mean the new grass does.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also haven't seen how it recovers from the first football game at the stadium. I just want it to be proven that everything will hold up first.

4. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Snobbery lol. How convenient that it's also a KSU fan.

The Sporting Park turf has a terrible history of quality. Would be nice if we got through a year without divots everywhere or brown spots, especially since they just replaced it yet again. Not to mention football lines now. I mean that's one of the pluses of having our stadium, don't have to share it with football.

kcscsupporter and ZooCougar repped this.
  5. crossmlk

crossmlk New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Snobbery from KSU? Oh and thanks for calling me it. Aren't we the school you all call Silo Tech and look down upon? Accusing us of snobbery is almost too funny. You do however manage to avoid the point quite nicely.

6. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Silo Tech? What year is it again?

My point is made by Chicago and Houston's shitty looking fields after football games.

ZooCougar repped this.
  7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I will never in my life understand the sheer amount of disrespect and outright dismissal between two adults based solely on collegiate allegiance.

Luke Campbell and AdamRS repped this.
  8. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well that officially blows.

9. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not only that, but the faint residual lines look terrible as well. It's fine to do this in December or after the season is over, but in the middle of the season it just looks bad.

England has some of the best groundskeepers around. They couldn't even get Wembley straight for and England friendly the week after and NFL game.

Oobers repped this.
  10. crossmlk

crossmlk New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yet you can understand it based on support of a particular soccer team?

11. crossmlk

crossmlk New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yet you don't address the point that Sporting owes the state of Kansas for the existence of the facility. To then criticize Sporting for doing something for the greater Kansas community because you only want soccer in the stadium certainly feels like you think you are entitled.

12. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I didn't realize that selling itself out to football teams was part of the conditions.

Kot Matroskin and kcscsupporter repped this.
  13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you understand that he wasn't calling you snobby, right? you called those of us who don't want the k-state fatties trampling our field as snobby and entitled. he laughed at how dumb a claim that was, noting that it's fitting that a k-state alum/fan would defend the idea of hosting a worthless k-state practice game.

i'm pretty sure the money that was given to sporting club was fronted by the taxpayers, but it's actually being paid by the tax everyone pays on their tickets. it's what... $60 on our season tickets now? yeah, you're damn right i want a say in not having a bunch of a college fatties ruining the field for the game i'm paying for. and don't cry about ksu "needing a place to host their spring game." it's not like there was some disaster at their stadium. this is a voluntary renovation. this is k-state's self-made problem that they should solve in their own town. and it's a f***ing practice game too!

if you've been a sth this long, then you remember what the arrowhead pitch looked like after the chiefs played. who cares about how it looks for another football game? you can play football just fine on an awful surface. what matters is how it looks for a soccer game.

well, didn't you go to truman state? that's like removing yourself from civilization for 4-6 years. (i kid, i kid. i've been there before and my bro actually went there.)

Oobers repped this.
  14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Truman State is most notable for having the smartest, fastest Humans in the midwest.

15. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A spring game at SP isn't something done for the greater good of the people of Kansas, it's OnGoal doing a little social experiment. Im not even sure it makes them any profit (tho it may help retire some star bond $).

Also, non-NFL events at Arrowhead, let's not fool ourselves. The Chiefs are a tenant that gets to decide whether or not a non-NFL use of their tenancy gets scheduled. The Chiefs pocket the lionshare of all money. I believe their money is guaranteed, and others have to eat losses (if any). So let's not twist this whole "public good" thing.

Last, if being pissed about a spring practice a week ahead of an MLS date on national TV makes me a snob, then I'll gladly take that title. I'm a darn snob. I'm a snob who probably loves our soccer stadium way too much. But anyway, as @kcscsupporter said, we just pay for it.....

Luke Campbell and Oobers repped this.
  16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No. Sports rivalries are nothing more than fun ribbing. If I encountered an LAG fan, I wouldn't demean his arguments or go out of my way to be condescending towards them. They are a fan for the same reason I am a fan, for love of the game.

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    :thumbsup: