All I Do Is Vin Vin Vin - The Vinicius Jr. Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by RM or None, May 23, 2017.

1. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What you call a weird antiracist fighter fantasy is in fact the only way to effectively combat racism. The problem is so deep and complex that approaching it in a half assed manner will not make any difference and will actually backfire because it intuitively makes racism just a niche thing, one of a million equally important issues, something to talk about in your free time without ever walking the talk.

Its one thing to say give the guy a break, he needs to enjoy life too. I agree, Im also taking part in a lot of initiatives, as measly as my contribution might be compared to what Vinicius can do. And Im also taking breaks because it takes a toll on you and you need to step back often and recharge to go back to the arena. Think about it. Hes in a position where he could be a game changer. And he chose this cross to bear. Its the heaviest one, but youre not getting points for heavy. You get points only if you carry it to the end. And that means thinking, just thinking, about every action you make. Including how you hold the spoon. Nothing is irrelevant in this issue.

2. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Okay, Imma dip out out this discussion now.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I mean, i get your point, but after the Dortmund game even Mourinho joined in with Vinicius criticism, you make it sound like all the criticism he gets is racially motivated.

4. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not surprised, its not a discussion for everyone.

5. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just named some of the most popular criticisms he's faced in the last 2 years. If you feel there's some racial undertone connecting those that's down to some other factors and was never my claim. My claim was that it seems like some people just have a problem with Vini and keep coming up with new ways to criticise him. I never claimed I knew why people have a problem Vini nor am I guessing why in my previous post. If anything I was just insinuating that some of these criticisms are ridiculous on a rational level.

6. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho is a tool, didn't know what to do with guys like Luka Modric, Marcelo or Kaka, but was quick to get on board with signing players like Sami Khedira and Hamit Altintop. He actually opted for playing with no stiker formations just because he had an axe to grind with Benzema, had Nuri Sahin as a LB and Pepe as a no. 10. Total wack job.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Some of the reasons people criticize Vinicius are also applied to others as well. I just don't see the reason to bow down to players and consider them immaculate. Nobody is completely good, or completely bad, because nobody is this one dimensional as a person.

It's really such an incredibly tired discussion.

Bear Crotch repped this.
  8. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm gonna be brutally honest...I don't really think the (European) media cares too much for the Copa America in general. Especially with it being played at the same time in the Euros this year.

Alexis Sanchez won it back to back a few yrs ago and never even made top 30 both yrs in voting of B'dor.

He needs to come back to Madrid blazing for media to keep his name in the balon d'or convo.

Also Vini took his hair out in time for Copa.

rrrrrafik and RoadMan repped this.
  9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Well the media cares depending on the player. If Messi won it they care but Vini is not a media popular player for dumb reasons because he is simply spectacular.

but I was talking more in Brazil. For the last World Cup, there was lots of hair dye and bleach. Did any stupid pundit question the seriousness of the players? Wouldn’t surprise me

hector_br and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When it comes to player hair, i dont remember who said it but it was a former player and he said, its out of boredom. You train twice a day, once in the morning, and on most days in the evening/afternoon so you basically have hours over hours every day to waste. At some point, having money around and the time to waste it becomes hairstyles, clothes, whatever comes to mind. These guys have so much time and money that just paying a couple hundred on a stupid hairstyle simply is a way to waste time and do something funny, it's not that deep.

The whole "this haircut signals a stand against racial injustice" is an entirely different discussion and has more to do with capitalism and is basically closer to a company changing their logo during pride month, the custom avatars etc. We live in a time where questions of human and workers rights are influenced by capitalism, what do you buy, which brand of clothes do you wear, who do you support etc. So you would assume that young players in their early 20s grew up in this state where you make your voice heard by means of capitalism: clothes, products, brand alliances.

Players aren't the leaders of this trend nor are they to blame for it, they are simply participating in social life as it works now in 2024.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All I ever said was there is a much better use of these hours if you really wish to be an antiracism advocate. Since what you said afterwards is true, why isn't someone who is fighting for social justice seeing that as related to his mission for change?

12. laundromat

laundromat Member

Jul 20, 2014
    if I were to steel man your position it would be something like this his:

People in positions of power have to acutely concerned with optics if they want their messaging to be well-received. Vini’s hair is an example of bad optics.

Is that right?

if so, I’d say that Vini’s message isn’t that he shouldn’t receive criticism, but that any criticism he receives shouldn’t be racial.

I mean, I guess it’s possible that he thinks he can do no wrong and that his manner of incitement isn’t provocation of any kind, but I highly doubt it.

13. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It is. Its unfortunate but this is something you can't escape in an information saturated society. It makes the struggle harder, obviously, which means you need to be better too.

The problem is that Vini is still stuck in the "racism towards me" loop. You're not fighting against racism against you, you're fighting against racism period. If you realize this premise, then I think its possible to revise your strategy accordingly.

We need more steelmaning around here for sure:)

laundromat repped this.
  14. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Probably only to people who could care less about Vin or even less so his message, again i say not surprising , Vin obviously has to get fully on board with the program that would disparage his hair, for his message, ( part of which could easily be, don't judge me by my hair which is not weird or odd for people of my race) to be recognised as serious , contradictions abound, fit in to speak out

laundromat repped this.
  15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    VJ was doing the same thing last year. When he returned to Madrid, he fixed his hair back to normal. He is just a kid having fun. I grew my hair long when i was his age. I thought of my hair dyed blond or even getting a dreadlocks even though I am an Asian. I knew it would look stupid for an Asian. I was not even that type of persons. Hey, life is short... you only young once.

PigBenis, Digital, RoadMan and 1 other person repped this.
  16. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Hahahahaha

17. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Let the kid be :D

18. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    People were still calling Neymar "Menino Ney" (Kid Ney) when he was freaking 30, lol.

I mean, any boy from São Gonçalo (Vini's birthplace) needs to man up quite early or they'll get eaten alive by the violent environment. He's closer to 25 than 20 too.

The only people who call him a kid are a bunch of white idiots who think they need to protect a grown man born in the slums from online haters because Vini is just a poor black kid and can't stand up for himself. That's EXTREMELY racist.

19. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave tha kid alone, thats ma boy.

20. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    While i know your original point what i think you mean is maturity rather than biological age, i've seen more than a few 40yr+ old men who can only be described as kids. Age and maturity man, not a direct co-relation.

I can totally see how Neymar's personality makes others feel protective of him or see him as a kid. Also depends on the personality of the person making the comment. Some people are nurturing and parently towards everyone. There was a girl in college with me who was like a mom to everyone, even people 4yrs her senior in age, to her they were all just "kids". I am sure you have seen examples of this in your own life.

hector_br repped this.
  21. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Hahahaha of course.
    I just find it funny how patronizing these people are to men like Vinicius. They are so racist they think he can't stand up for himself because he's black and came from a poor neighborhood. I see a lot of that in universities nowadays. Privileged people telling their gardeners they are a LatinX now. It's comical.

22. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

What if you got kids around the same age?

23. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Don't spoil them treating them like kids when they are freaking 25 already, lol.

24. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Daughters are tough man

especially Gen z daughters

they’ll always be my kiddos lol

saadomar, hector_br and Anon. repped this.
  25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--