All Hail the Wombat!

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Awe-Inspiring, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Abby Wambach has impressed the daylights out of me so far.

First, against Sweden, she jukes a defender out of her shorts, passes with the outside of her foot while being pounded and sets up the first goal. Then she earns a corner kick to set up the second goal.

She comes in against Nigeria and draws four defenders on a corner kick, leaving an easy header goal for Parlow. She scores on a pretty finish herself and then blows past another defender to draw a penalty, seeming to be indestructible as she is yanked down ferociously.

She wins air balls and re-directs them with her head to create lead passes to teammates. She controls chest-high balls, wheels and is not afraid to take on defenders.

She gives defenses fits. It seems that nobody has figured out how to play her yet.

She's awesome on the field, gorgeous and a great quote.

After Hamm hangs it up, my prediction (and hope) is that Wambach becomes the face of American women's soccer. She will be worthy of it.

2. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I'd just like to agree with that entire post from Awe-Inspiring.

Abby's being groomed by Mia to take over, I think. Sure there are Mia-like players in Heather O'Reilly, but Abby is a powerhouse.

She's a fantastic finisher. All you have to do is put her in the offensive third and she's going to either score or set someone else up. Especially once she's in the area. If she's not surrounded by four players (That didn't stop her from making a great volley vs. N. Korea that should have stood) and doesn't score, then she's left someone else open who does score. Example: Cat Reddick & Cindy Parlow.

I know it's been said a million times, but she does remind me of Akers. Throw in that defending ability she's acquired from Mia and you've got yourself an unstoppable force of nature.

I hope and pray she goes with the USA to the Olympics in Athens. If anyone can bring us home the gold it'll be Abby.

3. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Mr Crays6 swears Abby is the best player on the US squad. He was angry when she came out of the game vs. Sweden. I think it's the "crush" he won't admit to having......

Against North Korea she impressed me at the top of the box when she was on the ground and still fighting for and eventually winning the ball.

*looks around*

WAR ABBY'S MOM!!!

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby and Mia are different type of players. Abby is closer to Parlow in build and style then Mia.

I hope the players of the future aren't all of the same mold. While I respect Abby's game, I don't want to see 10 Abby's on the field together. I hope to see a mix of speed/grace (Mia) and power (Abby) and hope April knows that it's the mix that works, not 11 clones.

Having watched April's teams though, I don't know what she sees.

5. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    If April had her way she would have 10 clones of Mia, not Abby.

Abby's too good to ignore anymore.

It finally reached the point in June and July of this year that even reporters wanted to know where Abby was when she wasn't on the final 18.

Now she's a star. She's not a superstar, yet, but she's a star. She's attractive, scores goals with surprising consistency, and she's very well spoken. Reporters love her because she's happy to talk with them.

Also, I didn't say she was exactly like Mia. She's learned A LOT from Mia, but she's very different from Mia because she's a target. There's also that small matter of an extra 35 lbs and 6 inches.

6. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    i was thinking if we have Danielle fotopulous in the roster instead of Milbret, we can have an experiment of Parlow Wambach and her it would be great

7. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I hope she becomes, and I think she's going to be, a superstar.

8. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Wambach has really been tearing it up, this World Cup. She just looks so big, and so powerful out there -- she really puts the other team's defense back on their heels. I think Mia and Wambach are a great combination, and Wambach has looked even better than Parlow as a "power forward." Wambach has simply been awesome.

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DUH!

April isn't stupid. Abby has power and a lot of skill. Don't forget that knowing how to use your size is a skill in itself. 10 Abby's on the field would be a problem just as 10 Mia's on the field would be a problem. I don't think there is any reason to think that April is trying to mold the team around Abby. The only kind of team I could see Abby having trouble with is one like Norway, but she did VERY well against Sweden, so maybe she can't really even be stopped by a team like them. I hope Abby continues to get a lot of time on the field and Tiffeny (who used to be a great player, but just isn't on form now) stays on the bench.

10. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past I think there was a question of her having the fitness and hunger to go along with her strength and skill. She has all four qualities in spades now. We are seeing Abby peak just at the moment her team needs her the most.

11. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    Is there a WWC MVP?

If so, then it shall be the Wombat.

ALL HAIL THE WOMBAT.

FEAR THE WOMBAT.

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mia=Henry
    Abby=Rudd.. :)
    Kinda...

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere, Al Maguire is smiling.:)

What an aircraft carrier!!!

14. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby Wombat :)

[​IMG]

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good question. Will they be awarding a Golden, Silver and Bronze ball like they do at the men's WC?
    If they did last time, I don't remember it and I don't remember who won. I don't think they did.
    I'm sure Julie Foudy set them straight before this cup! :)

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.. I agree. That's a good question. Why won't anyone answer it? :(

17. I saw Abby play today for the first time, in Foxboro against Norway.
    I must say, she is a dynamo. A non-stop fighter, and with great skill to boot.
    She's all over the field, causing havoc upon opposing defenses.

btw, it was an enjoyable game... better than some of the men's games I've seen this year.

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I got your back big dogg!

Golden Ball (top player): Sun Wen
    Silver: Sissi
    Bronze: Akers

Golden Boot (top scorer): Sun Wen. 7 goals with three of 'em being game winning goals and 3 assists.

Silver: Sissi. 7 goals with 2 being game winners and 2 assists

Fair Play Award: China

19. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!! :) Now I can go to sleep!
    And you even threw in the Fair Play award for good measure!

20. Grasshopper_7

Grasshopper_7 New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Fairfax, VA
    Golden Ball

I thought Sun Wen got the Golden Ball in 1999, but maybe that's just my deteriorating mind playing tricks on me.

Oh wait, FearM9 just answered that...good to know my mind hasn't completely rotted away.

21. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Wambach was awesome last night.

I don't know that I've ever seen any woman play that dominant in any soccer game at the World Cup level before, with the possible exception of Michelle Akers in the '99 final.

It was awe-inspiring.

22. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    As I said in another post, she reminds me of Shaq, except she can do more with a soccer ball than Shaq can with a basketball. Simply awesome!

23. hockeyrules

hockeyrules Member

Oct 4, 2003
    We love Abby Wambach! In my family we call her "Bubble Girl" because Heinrichs kept saying she was on the bubble. Only if you're nuts, or April Heinrichs. Abby should start & finish every game.
    Abby is the best young striker in the world bar none.

But as to the comparisons to Michelle Akers -- give Abby a few years and a few Cups, folks. We didn't see the 1991 World Cup on TV but Michelle Akers dominated that tournament from the opening kickoff to the final celebration. She had 10 GOALS IN 6 GAMES!!!!!!!!!! (Three players have scored 7 goals in a Cup.) No one in the game today compares to Akers. She is truly in a class of her own.

I firmly believe the USA would have won the 1995 World Cup if Akers had not been injured.

And Akers dominated the 1999 final. It was sad that she was in the locker room on an IV while her team was winning the PKs and celebrating, because it was her finest hour.

The first time I saw Abby Wambach play, I called my Mom & said, I just saw the next Michelle Akers. Go Abby!

24. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She got a ways to go in her all around game to get to be in the class of Akers but she could be on her way. Maybe she'll have another great game tomorrow against Germany and get a bit closer. :)
    Then again, the women's game is more competitive now than it was for most of Michelle Akers' time.
    Welcome to Big Soccer...!

25. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    As a huge Wambach fan this Cup, I must acknowledge that, yes, Wambach still has a way to go to be in Akers' class.

But that's no disgrace. (OK, Akers is my favorite player of all time, I admit it).

And, as an Akers fan, I must admit something else.

Wambach is the first American player to come along and give us hope that anyone for the USA can be in Akers' class.

She's only 23. She has a ways to go. I hope she does it.