All Europe Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccerhooligan33, Oct 21, 2003.

1. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    Being discussed in the Copa Libertadores thread is the idea of sending an all-Euro team. I was just curious as to who people would believe we would send. I would look to see some of the younger players but I worry that they could lose a great deal of confidence in being killed in matches. I would be happy to see them rostered whether they get playing time or not is situational.

01. Keller
    02. Howard
    03. Freidel

04. Gibbs
    05. Onyewu
    06. Spector
    07. Whitbread
    08. Simek
    09. Spector
    10. Berhalter
    11. Vanney

12. Cherundolo
    13. O'Brien
    14. Reyna
    15. Lewis
    16. Kirovski
    17. Yi
    18. Szetela

19. Casey
    ??????????

I can't really think of anymore forwards but I'm not sure of the roster size anyway. Most of these players are a stretch and not really nats material but please no "dmb will be in europe" stuff, because we just dont know what will happen. Convey as a Euro sure could have helped this roster. I guess theyd line up like this:

....................Keller.......................
    Onyewu...Gibbs.....Berhalter...Vanney
    ........Reyna...............O'Brien...........
    Cherundolo.............................Lewis
    ............Kirovski.......Casey..............

Kirovski and Vanney (and probably Berhalter as well) are players that I think we have seen enough of and have little left to offer. Bringing some younger players into the system may be a good idea. However I value their veteran experience and they are still better than those players from the little that I have seen (please correct me). I also think that Kiro will benefit from playing with a target player like Casey. Whitbread, as a member of Liverpool's first team is an exciting product and I hope the Liverpool faithful could give me a summary of what he is capable of. Likewise Yi getting first team football in Belgium will very much help in his developement I would assume. In the end though, for now our Euro options look limited.

2. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
  3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Would Landon count since his contract is owned by BL?

Also if we are naming youth players, don't forget Danny K at Arsenal.

4. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    If you include youth players, then the list would be about 75 or so long. Probably more. But I'm assuming you'd only be looking at the players who you'd want to play on the fulll side.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Yi in midfield??? Cherundolo I can accept because he pushes forward a lot... but Yi is purely a center back.

6. NavillusMot

NavillusMot New Member

Apr 27, 2002
    USA
    Who does Yi play for?

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royal Antwerp, Belgian First Division

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's 18:

GK - Howard - Hahnemann
    DL - Vanney - Barrett
    DC - Gibbs - Berhalter
    DC - Onyewu - Yi
    DR - Russell
    ML - E. Lewis
    DM - O'Brien - Enochs
    AM - Reyna - D. Johnson
    MR - Cherundolo - Thorrington
    F - Kirovski - Karbassiyoon
    F - Casey

It should also be noted that next year, we're probably looking at Bocanegra landing in Europe somewhere, and possibly Mathis and Beasley as well.

In the first 11, only Russell, Onyewu and Casey are capless, but all are reasonably in the current pool.

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I believe Yi was being played some at defensive mid.

10. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    What about Wade Barret? It sounds like he's not been too succesful in Denmark, how is he in terms of form?

11. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Well, with that super-direct style of play being drilled into him, he might look out of place in Arena's system (IMO). Vanney seems to be improving well and so has Gooch. I don't see JT, Enochs, or Jovan getting called in, though.