All American MLS Best XI

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lawrenceterp, Nov 30, 2010.

1. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/11/sbiallamericanmlsbestxi.html#more

According to Ives that is. Did he get it right?

1st Team
    GK-Kevin Hartman
    D- Heath Pearce
    D- Omar Gonzalez
    D- Tim Ream
    D- Nat Borchers
    M- Landon Donovan
    M- Bobby Convey
    M- Daniel Hernandez
    M- Jeff Larentowicz
    F- Chris Wondolowski
    F- Edson Buddle
    2nd Team
    GK- Nick Rimando
    D- Chad Marshall
    D- Drew Moor
    D- George John
    D- Sean Franklin
    M- Brad Davis
    M- Eddie Gaven
    M- Kyle Beckerman
    M- Pablo Mastroeni
    F- Conor Casey
    F- Justin Braun

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks good to me, only one change, Kyle Beckerman is easily first team. i would change him and larentowicz, or whoever is supposed to be the d-mid on the first team.

justin braun...man, second team? this country needs to develop more home grown forwards...haha.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I like Heath Pearce and all, but I wouldn't put him in my Best XI. I'm just trying to figure out who I'd put there instead...........

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the state of american defenders, especially outside backs (and even more limiting, MLS defenders).

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well, Heath Pearce played right back most of the MLS season. There are plenty of good American right backs to choose from. How about Sean Franklin? I'd say he had a better season than Heath.

If we still want to have Ream, Omar, and Borchers.........move Ream to left back. He actually played there at times at SLU.

6. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Anthony Wallace??? LB 21 years old and won a title?

also Ike Opara will explode next year too bad for his Injury but he looks solid as a CB

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Heath Pearce had a better year than Franklin, even if it was pretty close. He was a key cog for you guys and you really missed him when he went out late in the year.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not really. We beat the two best teams in the league in the playoffs without him. And did it rather convincingly if you ask me. Our problem "down the stretch" was Hartman out with his Henry-induced injury. In the MLS Cup final our right back, Jackson, went out in the first half.........and his replacement Loyd got burned on the Rapids first goal.

There's talk on the FCD boards about the possibility of trading Heath Pearce. We're playing a highly paid left back out of position, because he lost the spot to Benitez. You could make a logical argument that they should have exposed Heath to the expansion draft instead of McCarty. (not an argument I'd necessarily make, but it's also not crazy)

I like Heath Pearce. He's good. I'm just not sure he belongs in the First XI of this All American Best XI.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pure speculation. Could just as easily say he was the only one of the two good enough to play either spot. To answer the earlier Anthony Wallace argument consider he couldn't beat out either of these two. So Wallace over Pearce is ridiculous.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say he lost his spot to Benitez, but rather he was good enough to move over to the right, despite being left-footed, when Benitez was obviously a good enough player to be in the starting XI but wasn't good enough to play at RB like Pearce was. Pearce was just more versatile.

After what I thought was a rather poor 2009 season readjusting to MLS, I thought Pearce had a great 2010, particularly during the 19-game unbeaten streak. He was everywhere on the field for you guys whereas Franklin, while playing some good soccer, was still prone to the odd mistake now and then which would/did cost the Galaxy.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I really didn't watch the Gals much until I needed to in order to check out Franklin and Omar.

Omar is not going to be the answer at a high level for the Nats. Good, to slow.
    Lateral movement/foot speed just not good enough. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, or not worthy on an MLS 11 nomination, but he reminds me of the several times I saw Whitbread. Championship material.

Franklin. Liked what I saw initially. Can probably do the job defensively against quite a few opponents. It was brutal watching Dallas dare him to make a pass in the semi's. They gave him so much time and space and begged him to hurt them. He couldn't come close. Not good there.

Still, for the Nats, I think SF has more of a future than Omar.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Depends. You could make an argument that we have more depth at right back than centerback. Omar may have more of a future with the nats for that reason alone. I wouldn't say he was an utter disaster when he got his chance against a very good Brazil team. He's at least good enough for CONCACAF/Gold Cup level competition........whether he develops into an elite international defender is another question.

If we didn't put Omar in this All-American XI........who would we put instead? I don't know. George John had a very good year, and is pretty underappreciated nationwide.

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Omar, John and Ream will get the first shots do to being playing pros already with a decent MLS track record of course. Chad will get more looks also if healthy, whether people like it or not. Ike has to play and stay healthy and he jumps in. I see him with the best chance to compete with the big boys, even though his passing will be limited. They all look competent, but flawed for top levels, but CCAF serviceable.

The crop under these guys has more top potential, but of course, they are young, and defenders need experience more so than offensive types.

Okugo is a guy I love, and Boss can play, we just need him to find a home and learn/grow. Even the guys like White and from bshred's description Igbe-something, all seem to have the physical traits needed to compete at top speed and flight. Okugo and Boss can be two guys with skill, brains and the physical ability. The other two are young, relatively unknown and in college, but if they turn pro who knows what their upsides are. They both have the physical aspects you look for, whether they have much else? Who knows, but you are born with one (physical) and the rest is up to them.

A lot to choose from here over the next few years. Let's see who takes the lead.

I really don't count Omar's Brazil match all that much. A tough situation. What's more worrisome is what you see in MLS. Can only develop that lateral movement and foot speed so much. Essential stuff for a top defender. I think SFS has him pegged. A Cship back at best. Nothing to sneeze at, but at this stage we are looking for more.

14. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looks right mostly. Gotta say though, Le Toux is an American now who even wants to play for the Natty. Do I really need to present his case as deserving to be on this list?

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Deserves got nothing to do with it.

He'll be over 30 when he officially can get his chip. He doesn't have it now.