All About Yanks Abroad Catchall Thread 2018/19

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's your all-purpose thread/sticky for generic YA news -- odd "Whatever happened to..." questions and posts, questions, and other stuff you just aren't quite sure what to do with.

Here's last season's:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-about-yanks-abroad-catchall-thread-2017-18.2066313/

Here's an archive of YA "All About..." threads (they used to be much more interesting and active, worth a look if you want to see some blasts from the past):

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-about-yanks-abroad-thread-archive.914322/

Here's the Detective Work thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/th...-guy-is-a-yank-detective-work-thread.1987805/

And since these threads always need to start with an old-school photo -- why don't we go with, oh, I dunno. Beasley at Man City, perhaps?

[​IMG]

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Second post:

Shaun Maher is retired from playing professional soccer in Europe, but he’s still sharing his knowledge of the game with younger players.

Maher, the brother of Fayetteville Academy assistant soccer coach Jimmy Maher, held a camp for local soccer players recently at Fayetteville Academy.

A veteran of professional play in England and Ireland, Maher said he brought a different voice and his own perspective of the game to his young students.​

https://www.upandcomingweekly.com/h...ccer-players-get-tips-from-european-pro-maher

Winoman repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made this sticky. Thanks, Dave!

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where to put this, but it's relevant to tracking youth players in Mexico. 12 of the 18 Liga MX clubs have withdrawn their reserve teams from Liga Premier de Mexico (the third tier) this season. This makes sense to me; from afar I've observed that players who age out of the Liga MX U20 league get dumped onto these teams and then almost never make it to Liga MX or even Ascenso MX. My guess is that the lower-level reserve teams are a relic of the system before the advent of the Liga MX U20 and U17 leagues and finally clubs have realized they really don't need the reserve teams any more.

Anyway, many of the fringier YAs in Mexican academies may be out of a job and the overall number of players down in Mexico should be reduced as a result.

autobus39 and PANDEMONEUM repped this.
  5. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok who’s going to make the thread? Ronaldo Jr who was born in California is now playing for the Juventus U9s. Don’t think I’ll make the dive but someone else who is more bold can.

BostonRed and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  7. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Not sure why I can't find this guy????

Fabian Hurzeller - Player/Coach at Pipinsreid In Regionalliga Bayern. I have written about him many times - but now I can't find his Thread.

Starts today as Pipinsreid visit Augsburg II in a league match. Both teams struggling this season, so fsr

8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/posts/28414978

You needed the umlaut in his last name.

DC_Dave repped this.
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Someone wiser than I can decide if he merits a thread in the Academy forum but I found this kid's story fascinating.

St. Louis Park soccer talent a throwback to playing for the fun of it

Trained outside traditional youth soccer, Zinedine Kroeten leads St. Louis Park into playoffs

snip:

So utterly bored playing soccer, Zinedine Kroeten used to pick dandelions during games.

A decade later, his talent developed largely outside the typical youth soccer industry, Kroeten has grown into a skilled midfielder on a strong St. Louis Park boys' team. Playoffs begin this week and the Orioles are the No. 2 seed in Class 2A, Section 6.

A rare opportunity awaits him in November: A two-week trial with Werder Bremen, a club in the Bundesliga, Germany's top professional league.

His journey is as improbable as a hockey or basketball player learning the game almost entirely on the pond or playground until high school, and then drawing NHL or NBA interest.

http://www.startribune.com/st-louis...wback-to-playing-for-the-fun-of-it/496015751/

Dave Marino-Nachison and Winoman repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sure. A trial is worth a thread.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Erik Wynalda says a player he signed for Las Vegas, Gabriel Robinson, had some Germany opportunities I haven't quickly been able to learn more about:

Eric Wynalda on Robinson: “He’s a guy that that had a trial in Germany last year and some interest in the third and second division there. I don't think he has seen a real opportunity yet, so this will be it. I’m taking a chance with him but I feel that he's up to the task. One thing you’ll remember after watching Gabe play is he’s great in the air, he’s a very strong incredible athlete ... but the throw-in, I’ve never seen anybody throw a ball 60 yards, it’s quite a weapon and we’ll use it.”​

https://www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/news_article/show/982820

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's a high school Jr. from Illinois named Diego Camarena who, according to MaxPreps, was the fall-season points leader nationally, and second in goals with 67. A player of this name, born in 2003, was briefly in the Chivas academy. Might be the same guy, but not sure.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The USL social media folks are apparently "roasting" their boss with this photo that appears to be from his YA days.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #17 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    From the "one we missed" department, here's a guy named Jesse Corke who just signed with the Cosmos:

Corke, 26, is another local player added to the squad. The Valley Stream, N.Y. native played collegiately at Molloy College and most recently played with German club Westfalia Wickede.

“Jesse has come in and proven he can play at this level and will contribute,” Mendes said. “He is a fearless ‘keeper and moves well in the net.”​

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '00 Ecuadorian-American Jeciel Cedeno, with NYRB's academy and a couple of USL-C appearances, has previously been with Barcelona SC's setup in Ecuador. Before that he was originally with Union City SC in New Jersey. (I know T'markt lists only Ecuadorian nationality, but his IG bio has both the Ecuadorian and USA flags).

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999