...all about PUMAS v. atlas (pre-during-post) R...

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by franco, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Kikin just had to go. Hes gone to bigger and better things and Im glad to say that he gained exposure via Pumas. However the real downfall has be because of our directiva that has failed to bring in quality refuerzos and to an extent neglected the talent from la cantera.

2. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    As long as Tuca is at the helm, we'll have to pay attention to Queretaro's results after every matchday and hope they do worst than us.

Matday one:

Queretaro lost 0-3 while Pumas lost 0-1. Goal differential goes to Pumas for the moment.

3. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...kikin, as well as other players in pumas had to go sometime...it is the pumas way and it had always been...thing is we create players and then we sell them, that is it...you gotta cope with this if you cheer for pumas...i would also like to buy a ticket and go see them play at CU, but we will have to wait for the moment...

4. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...it does not help to have a good ref in a game like this, but it did not really have anything to do with the final result...if anything, he pulled out a bunch of yellows, that if you go by the book, were deserved...but we have to score, it is the only way to fight any bad ref...

...gonzalez has sucked on the pre-season as well i heard...so tuca i guess is giving him the chance to score, plus i guess physically he is more fit than the rest of our forwards...so i understand why tuca played him first, next game maybe chupa lopez would start along scocco again...scocco looks like the link between our defense and offense, pareja and leandro should look more for him (wich they tried, especially leandro on the second)...chupa tried, but could not connect and then reynaldo did ok for the little time he was there...

...at times it look like pareja did too much when he should had used scocco, who often was near him or leandro...going one and one against guardado really worn him down, but in general it was a nice personal match to watch...

...being so many new players, especially in the front, i guess i expected this sort of result...they do need to click in the front, hopefully soon...

...our midfield look solid while our defense distracted...you cant send castro and velarde up front to be left with two in the back...that is very risky business that could had cost us another couple of goals so hopefully we learn from this, especially against young teams like atlas who counter fast...our defending wings need to be alert defending and fast to come back defending when in offense...picolin and veron did good and looked solid...

5. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i dont even want to comment on that, but it is our reality...:mad:

...glad to know it is only our first game of the season...

6. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Agree on the whole, the ref was awful, but, hey, this is mexico, its how it is... and at least he didn't really affect the result, so thats OK. Atlas must be pretty agrieved with that straight red.

Anyway, player by player:-
    Bernal:- OK, didn't actually have much to do, but I do wonder sometimes how much in control of his defense he is.
    Velarde:- I agree he was out of position for the goal, I didn't actually think he was that good going forward (maybe Iñiguez made him look good!), did not put in a single even half decent cross. And a bit of a worry denfesively
    Veron:- Pretty solid as usual, gave a horrible ball away once, could have been dangerous, but over all solid.
    Pikolin:- Still VERY concerned about his positional awareness at centre back, had an OK game, passing poor (and too many square balls), and doesn't look comfortable on the ball (or, at least, I am not comfortable when he's on the ball.)
    Castro:- I thought he had a decent game, got skinned once, but generally OK, and links well with Parejita.
    Iñiguez:- Poor poor poor. Just not good enough, and rightly booked for a stupid dive in the box. Subbed at half time:- shouldn't have started, I believe:- we did nothing down the left all first half.
    Leandro:- usual solid Leandro performance wthout excelling. Was being kicked and knocked about from Atlas from the start, obviously a tactic
    Sancho:- Solid, broke up a lot, started a lot, Pulled off a great tackle when Atlas were breaking very fast from one of our corners. Really think we can see a great partnership building between him and Leandro
    Parejita:- Certainly in the first 20 mins or so impressed greatly. Really is a mature footballer now, and genuinely deserves his place in the team. Crosses not always top quality, but some good free kicks. Faded in both halves.
    Gonzalez:- Missed a good chance, and first half hustled a lot without much return. Lively second half. subbed 62 mins
    Scocco:- You can see here he just needs time in the new team, but has plenty to offer. Needs to learn to dive (or stop trying), lucky not to be booked for one of them. Again, looked a handfull 2nd half, and rose like a salmon to hit the post off his bonce. Subbed 73 mins.

SUBS:-
    Morales 45 min:- a real handfull, seeemed to get found out after about 20 mins or so. Always a better option than Iñiguez, however.
    Lopez 62 min:- didn't impress me much, looked out of touch.
    Reinaldo 73 min:- The "complete number 9". Less said the better, to be honest.

DT
    Tuca:- Tactically OK, playing Iñiguez down the left is clearly wrong. Glad to see he has Parejita sharing free kick and corner duties with Leandro much more:- he can do it, and it mixes things up a little bit. Subs:- Realised his mistake and was honest enough to pull Iñiguez off at half time. The other two subs looked to me to be subs for subs sake, didn't add or change anything. In fact we came out roaring 2nd half, and lost our way with the sub of Scocco:- not sure if this was the cause of it, but we looked less dangerous after the changes to the two up front:- that aint right.

Overall, I still don't think we can hold onto the ball effectively enough, and the last ball let us down often, and too many poor (even mindless) crosses. Really did derserve "something" from this match, I think, although Atlas always looked dangerous on the break.

Every point counts, so this is a bad bad start, but still good things to see. Unfortunately most of the teams lower down the % table won, but at least Queretaro lost, heres the current bottom 5, each with one match this season:-
    Atlas:- 86 from 69:- 1.264
    Santos:- 85 from 69:- 1.2319
    San Luis:- 41 from 35:- 1.1714
    Pumas:- 75 from 69:- 1.0870
    Queretaro:- 0 from 1:- 0.000

It really is us v los gallos blancos.

7. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...you and i both saw the same game buddy...
    ...scocco sub really screwed us up...he looked well overall, as i said b4, he needs to be included more in the playmaking for the last 3/4 and take some of the job pareja and leandro are doing...
    ...about atlas i also agree, they did look more dangerous on the attack, but i think it was 'cuz our wings would often go up front along with leandro and pareja, and so sancho was the only one left to defend a little in front of picolin and veron...we gotta work on that if we are gonna take so many people up front who btw failed on the last touch (too many crosses, lacked shots from outside the box or give and goes)...
    ...is like tuca plays 4-4-2 but it really ends up playing a 3-5-2 at the end 'cuz he adds the wings to the attack and puts mostly sancho to help the last 2 defenders or even leandro...however we are not fast enough moving the ball around even with so much players up front, so they need to work on quick give and goes or take advantage of set plays...i kind of wonder if it would be better for us to just wait for teams and then counter with quick people like pareja, scocco, morales and either reinaldo/chupa/inyiguez (but in the right side), gonzalez looks kinda slow...

8. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Sorry about my Cardetti obession... but I have some figures now....
    He actually appeared in, including Copa Sudamericana, 18 games, although he only started 8, and only completed 3. A total of 783 minutes played. (43.5 mins per game)
    He scored 5 goals for us:-
    v Santos, 86th min - winner (1-2)
    v Atlas, 66th min - winner (1-0)
    v America 90th min - only goal in 1-2 defeat
    v Dorados 42nd min - opening goal in 2-0 victory.
    v The Strongest - 89th min - final goal in 3-1 victory, which was very important over the tie.

Oh well, I guess I am wrong, he only missed one league match so I guess you could call that a fair chance.... although only played 2 games in Copa - 15 mins in first game home v The Strongest, and the last, away v Boca (12 mins)

9. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thats cool I don't mind. Looking at those stats it does seem like he should have gotten a better shot. I mean, what did Victorino do to deserve a starting spot and the 10 :mad: