Algarve roster announced

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RUfan, Feb 11, 2010.

1. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you missed the post explaining how the world revolves around us.

2. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Just mentioning the moving of the Algarve Cup is incredibly narcissistic. Why should another country want to move their tournament to the U.S.? We're not that important.

Now, if you want a tournament here, organize it yourself and call it the US Cup or something. When you start telling other people that your tournament should be moved to our soil because then it would be successful you only sound like an arrogant American.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts and knowledge of the game before 2007 (and hazy memories of 1999)? Fugetaboutit.

I must spread some rep around....

And not just us but johnny-come-lately fans who have no idea of (or respect for) the history of international women's soccer.

Way back in the day there was a tournament in the USA--called the Nike Cup at one point.

4. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007

Firstly, this board has gotten WAY too negative with a bunch of members ready to declare you as a moronic, Johnny-come-lately. I have been watching this team for, as long as, if not longer than many of you, so please get off your greater then though high horses.

Secondly, Bonnie I love ya girl (even though you once gave me a yellow card :( ), but don’t be so quick to rain on my parade. I understand the Scandinavian clubs sponsor the tournament, but if I recall, prior to them holding this tournament in Algarve Portugal it was held on the Isle of Cyprus, which ain’t no short flight from Oslo or Stockholm. My point about Miami, besides the fact that it has good weather, good local support for soccer, many soccer specific stadiums, is only a 5 hour flight from Paris, and is where I live (so I could attend :D), is that there might be a better place to hold this tournament.

Algarve weather often seems to go between lousy to horrid at this time of year. Plus, the turf conditions themselves are often bumpy and uneven in the best of weather, the stadiums often site almost completely empty. Now I understand that many teams come to work on developing players and trying different formations and rosters, so maybe the quiet environment of the tournament seems attractive. However, the conditions are so poor it hurts the quality of play and therefore doesn’t really offer an accurate picture of teams. The fields were especially cappy this year and as a result, the play was not as good and therefore the actually information coaches could obtain from their teams performance was not really reflective of the current reality.

But what the heck do I know. I am just an ignoramus :rolleyes:.

1 person likes this.
  5. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I'm not convinced a tournament like this would draw that many fans in Miami, or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter. Yes, the US games would draw people in, but Iceland-Sweden? Probably not. With games mid week its tough to get crowds. Add the higher expenses for hosting this tournament in the US vs. Portugal and my guess is that it would lose a significant amount of money - unless it got a great TV deal, which is highly unlikely.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we'd definitely do better than the empty stadiums you saw in Portugal.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as Bonnie pointed out, the purpose of Algarve isn't to make money/ticket sales. This tournament is organized by the Scandinavian teams & Portugal as an early tournament in a warmer (than Scandinavia) climate so everyone can see how the teams match up after the winter rust is knocked off. It isn't organized to get a whole bunch of people to watch.

8. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I just think it would make more sense for the U.S. to host a tournament of its own, like another Nike U.S. Women's Cup, but on a slightly larger scale. Then U.S. Soccer can publicize it, televise it, gloss it up and commercialize it all they want.

9. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think there would be enough of a market for a tournament here? It would be nice though...sigh.

10. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    probably not now, but hopefully, in a couple of years, after the WPS has established itself better and people are more aware of womens´s soccer in this country.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But considering they only draw flies to the Portugal games the tournament here would definitely be better attended.

You could maybe only get 500 to 1000 to attend the non U.S. games but that would be an improvement.

I would estimate the USWNT games should get around 5K at least.

12. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRk1xupMmSE&feature=digest"]YouTube- March 01, 2010: WNT GPS Training[/ame]

GPS training on the WNT

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    interesting.

the answers to who covers the most ground are funny too.

14. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    I liked Abby's British accent - giving the needle to the new coach....

15. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    They should make the device a lot smaller and use it for real games. Makes it easier to see who is working hard and who is not. Its easier to decide who to sub out because of fitness issues. It's like formula one drivers using telemetry devices from their cars. When they suck all the engineers know it and they can't lie about their car and their driving.

16. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Where will it end? Next you'll want FIFA to consider cameras and instant replay on the goal lines.;)

17. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they actually used one during some WNT friendlies - at least I recall some discussion involving Julie Foudy about whether forwards or midfielders do more running that was settled by such a device.

18. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    You can tell Dawn Scott played rugby at some point in her life. When she passes the ball with hands its classic rugby throwing style. Decent form too. ;-)

19. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I heard that when they wore those GPS things during a game, can't remember which game, that Heather Mitts and Lori Lindsey were the ones who ran the most - 7+ miles.

20. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Mitts constantly out of position and having to scramble back all the time, I'm not surprised.

1 person likes this.
  21. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    It's silly that FIFA hasn't really tried it at least in world cup games. They do it in ice hockey and tennis where the puck and the ball travel much faster and much smaller. They don't have to stop the game while an appeal is being done. The fourth official or added designated review officials can do it while the game continues.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    you can't just continue playing. the kind of restart the referee chooses is dependent on the decision on whether or not a goal was scored.

23. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Say anything you want but why must to call others (in this case FIFA) silly when you are the one who are worse than being silly?
    1) Ice hockey and tennis. The buck and tennis ball traveling much faster and much smaller make a case for these sports to have replay. It does not at all lend support to the case for soccer.
    2) The 4th official can review while the game continues? Seriously, why do you even mouth off something this dumb?

24. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    So, this thread has nothing to do with the Algarve cup anymore. Can a moderator create a new one for the recent comments....???

25. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Seriously what is your problem? Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make other opinions dumb. What makes reviewing things so dumb. Experts here are so freaking DUMB it's incredible! You're as dumb as the people who thinks Pia actually did SOMETHING in Algarve. :D