Algarve Football

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by leafdolfan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My team is going to portugal to train and play against some local sides, and I was hoping to watch some high quality football while I'm there. Is there anything good in the Algarve? I'd love to go to lisbon, but I don't know if I'll have the time.

2. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    There's only one club in the first division south of Lisbon and that's Setubal, and they're crap, anyway if you get to drive till Setubal you might as well do 20 more miles and get to Lisbon. There's also only 1 club (maybe 2, not sure) to the south of Lisbon in the second division.

You won't find anything decent unless you get to Lisbon.

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    You have Portimonense that just eliminated Setubal from the Carlsberg cup.

You also have Lagoa, and Louletano from the second division.

4. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Find time to go to lisbon. Visit a real stadium. It's red.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Still very surprised a high quality team doesn not exist in Faro. Anyways...Algarve is the best region in Portugal. Pow!

6. Carne Leao

Carne Leao New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Also Olhanense aswell.

7. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of possibly going early or staying later to go to lisbon with some, or maybe cross the border to Spain, to watch Recreativo. Or Sevilla. Does crossing the border take a long time?

8. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    Boo. Sevilla? Bah ain't worth it. Anyway, I don't know what you mean by the time needed to cross the border but it would take you between 3 and 5 hours to get to Sevilla I guess, depending on where you're staying in the Algarve and how fast you drive.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    3 hours? Is hes in Faro it will take only like an hour and half. I think it took my family about an hour and some minutes from Monte Gordo.

10. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Too bad that that "real stadium" doesn't have a real team :p

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thats it I am giving you a yellow for misconduct.

12. leafdolfan

leafdolfan Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for all the help, I'm gonna figure out when I'm gonna stay (before or after my clubs training), and then I'll come back and see if you guys can help me out some more:D

13. jakjak

jakjak New Member

May 14, 2006
    To Sevilla? I have no real idea, though. And it depends alot on the traffic situation.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No traffic in the Algarve, and in Sevilla we only encountered traffic when we were deep in the cities limits.

15. Salop

Salop New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Shrewsbury, UK
    Farense were a usefull side (well, top flight anyway) back in the mid nineties. They even qualified for the UEFA Cup sometime around then. However, a combination of bad luck and financial mismanagement saw them relegated to the third tier of Portuguese football before eventually being expelled from the league in the 2005-06 season as they failed to fulfill all their fixtures due to having to field a team comprised of youth players as they were unable to pay the wages of their professional players.

As far as I'm aware, they play in some sort of regional league now, which is ludicrous as they have a top class stadium (30,000 capacity, hosted several games at Euro 2004)

Don't know about O Algarve being the best region though, I prefer Lisbon myself.