Algarve Cup: Canada v USWNT [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Mar 14, 2003.

1. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    A couple of comments; One, I believe that the 4-4-2 works quite well for the US. It could work better if Aly was given less defensive responsibility. Having a midfielder slipping forward is a great way to confuse defenses vs the standard 4-3-3. The problem with the 4-3-3 is that you just mark them all and forget about it. With 2 forwards they can roam a lot more making marking assignments difficult. Also with the 4-4-2 you possess the ball more because you have more passing options. I hope we don't get back to an over the top style of play that is what makes soccer boring. Example being Canada and Norway. It can be effective but it sure is ugly. Possess, possess and possess some more. As long as you possess the ball the other team can't score.
    It seems the US really had their way with Canada as they dominated all the statistics except for penalties and offsides but that is what we have seen from Canada before. 13 to 6 on shots, 7 to 3 on goal, and 6 to 1 corners. I'l take my chances with the US.

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    So basically Canada scored early and bunkered the rest of the game. Like they always do.

3. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Sounds like our mens team vs Mexico and Portugal only better in the end.

4. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well how good is possession if you don't do diddly with it?

5. sspeed

sspeed New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Tempe
    Its really amusing reading all these armchair coaches crying that the end of the world is near because we are no longer able to trounce the other "top level" teams such as Canada, China, Germany etc by the 3 or 4 goals that we used to. While I am in no way a big fan of much of what the current coaching staff does, the fact of the matter is that the women's international soccer scene has changed dramatically in the last 5 years or so. We are no longer the only nation throwing money at and setting up development programs to support the full national team. When the other nations followed suit, there was no way that we were going to keep the gap as large as it was. Now as I mentioned above, while I dissagree with much of what we are doing on the coaching level, the lineup is not one of bones of contention. Everyone must remember, that with as much press as Aly has received lately, she still is relatively new as a full starter, and thus it will still take time for the other player and her to figure out tendencies of each other. Even with this fact, the US has almost always dominated both possession and shots on goal against the other powers. My biggest concern is lack of finishing. I think a few personnel changes, especially the addition of O'Reily in front may resolve this.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  7. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    hey...

thought i would share, but i heard that the canadian/hooper offside goal that was called back during the game has been reviewed on tape and the officials issued an apology to canadian coach pellerud...so it was a legit goal!! grrrr...lol

elaine

8. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Here's an interesting FIFA article on the US-Canada rivalry:

Canadian women driven by rivalry

"The Canadians want to beat us more than they want to breathe," said American coach April Heinrichs, echoing a sentiment the Canadians themselves are more than happy to affirm."

Assuming Hooper's goal really was valid, it's an unfortunate miscall. Yeah, bad calls happen, and I want the US to win as much as anyone, but still. Assuming the US wins Group A, I hope the margin is great enough that we would have won even with a loss to Canada and/or the extra goal differential.

9. charcroson

charcroson New Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Thanks for the answer. I get your point about the overcrowded midfield. Still no opinion of my own, but I appreciated your analysis.

10. BB99

BB99 New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    I think the results would have been quite different had the goal been allowed...something like.....

CAN WTL 4 points 3gf 3ga (loss to NOR)
    USA LWT 4 points 3gf 3ga (loss to CAN)
    NOR TLW 4 points 2gf 2ga (loss to USA)
    SWE TTT 3 points 3gf 3ga

Sweden would have finished 4'th, but the rest...I don't know....