Algarve Cup 2014

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jonny63, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I didn't think one little gif would start all this.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  2. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Ok, the next question is who injured Morgan's ankle during practice in October. Just kidding! :)

Semblance17 and JanBalk repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Morgan injured it. The only reference to the injury Ive heard is it occurred because Morgan does everything at full speed. That infers that it wasnt someone taking her out as much as her going into a tackle.

4. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I played central midfielder in middle school, and high school and then had to stop because of health issues, i occasionally play for fun. I honestly stayed away from tackles, I mostly did shoulder to shoulder, because i did not feel like injuring my foot which always had problems. I know that tackling is not going to stop but only gonna get worse its a wishful thinking, and i honestly dont think those tackles win any good balls, they go to waste 95 percent of the time, occasionally it helps. But there is already american football we dont need soccer to turn into that. lots of speed+tackle=injury waiting to happen

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuellar for one. How Buehler got away with that tackle without getting booked is still a mystery.

6. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Well there is one, not a very impressive list of many. I note the original poster could not think of any.

7. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Buehler is a slow clumsy hack who got away with some clear red card/PK offense in the previous NWSL season (dangerous tackles that caused injuries to Cuellar and Courtney Jones). Below is the post I wrote last year for another incident:

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

And what were the results that you got from the referee forum?

9. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I never said she doesn't foul or get carded. I am only saying that she has not caused injuries to many players. The person who started this discussion claims that she has, but said person admits they started watching the USWNT in 2012.

I think the NWSL was woefully short in giving out cards last year, and far too much rough play was allowed to go on. And the fouls called or not was greatly uneven as well.

And I repeat everyone's favorite enforcer Scott has caused as many injuries as Beuhler. Scott wasn't carded or called for many fouls but she should have been. But called fouls or not, the play style is the same, going into tackles 100%. So love both or hate both.

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How many injuries did she actually cause? i remember heath and morgan were racking up cards like nobodies business, and heath made the mistake of crossing a REAL defensive mid-fielder.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Ok, what was the purpose of this post other than you agreeing with yourself?

I just did a search of every instance of the name Beuhler on BS in 2013. Every post has a date on it.

23 pages of results. None from the referee forum.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On a side note. Did you see where I asked on the International thread - France - if the June games between France and the US is still happening in Chicago and Portland and shlj responded that unfortunately the Portland game won't happen.
    I wonder why. I was looking for some dates to visit the NW.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The game wont happen or it wont be in Portland?

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1564 Cliveworshipper, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

So, not being able to find any history of Beuhler ( or Scott) being guilty of any more infractions than anyone else, the appeal is to what SHOULD happen.

Abby Wambach broke her own leg going into a hard tackle, injured a Brasilian leg on a hard tackle and effectively ended a career, and took Faye White out in a match against England with an elbow to the face.

That's not even a comprehensive list - just from memory.

She also fouled more than twice as often, and was cautioned twice as often as Beuhler, as were Lloyd, Morgan, Fishlock, Kyle and Heath.

A cautionable charging offense is one that is deemed reckless, and that is defined in the USSF Advice to Referees and Jim Allen's " ask a referee blog" as:
    So no player can be said to have "far exceeded the use of force necessary to make a fair play for the ball and has placed his opponent in considerable danger of bodily harm." Last year. There are no red cards recorded for the season.

And Beuhler only twice “ has made unnatural movements designed to intimidate an opponent or to gain unfair advantage"
    those other players apparently did it twice as often.

I'll remind you Heath only played parts of 5 games. Imagine a full season.

But ok, convince me those stats are the result of some sort of Romulan cloaking device around Beuhler.

I love a good read.

And I find more than a little disturbing that I'm asking the same questions ad NewSouth.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1565 Cliveworshipper, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

I have to talk to my rep on Monday about this season's block of tickets. I'll ask.

What other dates did you have in mind?

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was actually referring to the France vs. USWNT game that was supposed to be played in Portland on either June 14th or 19th. Was told that the Portland venue will not happen now. Look on the Women's International thread France Les Bleues.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ok, I thought maybe there were other dates, too.

Hopefully Monday will gain some information. They have been pretty helpful in the past.

18. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    #1568 TeaDrinkerful, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    MOD EDIT: No personal attacks - this was way over the top.

19. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    i just had to hold the sugar on this one and not sugar coat the response. and dont go on telling me about professional tackles and that shit. if there was no tackles(not shoulder to shoulder) but the crazy tackles that they do like the last defender doing to the forward that is about to score, then there will be so much more goals in games and games will actually be a lot more exciting than a game thats ********in 0-0.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So I gather you don't actually like soccer?:cool:

thesis and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  21. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    lol

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaven forbid one would consider facts before forming an opinion. That would take way too much work. taosjohn, I'm with you!

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the finale of the Algarve Cup. There's ten minutes missing form each half(though you'll barely notice) Really good game, 1st half is tight, 0-0, with Japan coming closest to scoring. As a rec coach, I'm always yelling at my players to hustle. But in this case it's the quick thinking German defender that saves the goal by lying on the ground completely motionless!
    2nd half shows just how incredible, unpredictable soccer really is! To some, including the Equalizer, head honcho, Jeff Kassouf; Lena Goessling was the top player of 2013. Well it's funny how things have a have habit of changing in a matter of months, not only is Goessling's play suffering in the Bubdesliga(as she's been taken off early the last few times) but the minute she's subbed by Kessler at the start of the 2nd half, the game takes an amazing turn towards utter domination by Germany, who could of easily doubled the 3-0 score. Watch especially Marozsan, who's probably the unofficial top player in the world, today. She's has become a phenom defender as well(as she plays holding mid). American fans really got to ask; who we got to mark up against her?(as this would have to be the key to beat them)
    As for Japan, I've become a big fan of their right winger, Kawasumi. She's got a a really good 1st half. Can't wait to see her match upfront with Leroux, and get the feeds from Little & Fishlock when she debuts for the Reign
    but here's the match

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    she's definitely top class. but it shouldn't be a problem.

the u20s defended her, maier, lotzen, cramer, and wensing pretty well in the wc final. she was the best player in the tournament then too, but we were able to figure it out. they were all getting time in the bundesleague while the u.s. U20s were college players. julie johnston had a great game.

Namdynamo repped this.
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    forgot. the senior team also defended her reasonably well in winning 2-0 at the algarve last year, and also a short time later when we drew 3-3 (a strange offside call taking away a holiday goal) on their home pitch.