Alfredo Morales

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    That, or we begin playing some of the others out of position...Roldan, Pomykal would be two candidates.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His team won 3-2 today against a very good Elbar, and Fredo played 90. He got some positive reviews in their forum. They played a 4-1-4-1 with Morales as the DM/distributor.

DHC1, Eleven Bravo and LouisZ repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, it’d be nice if we had a good Bundesliga side center defensive midfielder on the USMNT.

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    positive reviews on the forum...is that like saying his mother said he was the best player out there?

there is only one question to ask at this point about the morales myth its obviously not if the us would've qualified for the world cup.

Its simply would not only the us have won the world cup but would they have given up a single goal?

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now that's a first draft. Let's try a clean version.

6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Ummmm...MB90 played for mochengladbach.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I’d take Michael Bradley, circa 2007-2014, in a heart beat.

8. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    People here have argued if salary wasn't an issue he still has the skill to be a BL player!

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Bob,

We need younger, faster, more agile players in Michael position. Sure, the plan was to have Michael holding the World cup in one hand and the captains armband in the other...…...but...……….. thats life.

10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Well now, one would have to be actually good enough to be in the Bundesliga to actually make a mistake in the Bundesliga.

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so does this mean that every match he plays you are going to bump this thread?

superdave repped this.
  12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    So it turns out Morales may not actually be or ever have been eligible to play for the US. Could explain why he hasn't been called in in a few years.

13. Maxvall

Maxvall Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Lima
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Amigo, my advise to you is that you have to try to understand what you are reading and make your own opinion instead of repeating what others say.
    Here is my theory:
    The whole thing doesn´t apply to Alfredo because he has never played for another Association beside the US, not for Germany & not for Perú, and the rule is talking about a player that has played for one country and wants to play for another (to represent more than one Association). hope you understand my point !!!

Mantis Toboggan M.D. repped this.
  14. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Nope. See the Yanks Abroad Morales thread on this. Some people were reading the FIFA regs incorrectly there. Morales is eligible for the USMNT by birth.

15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This took a weird turn...I didn't know how USSF/Egg supporters would guarantee a place for MB90 if Fredo kept playing in the BL. Figured it'd be a double down on "he was average 5 years ago". But nope, we're going with "he probably played illegally 5 years ago, isn't eligible, USSF leadership is probably not admitting it because...they have reasons."

Marius Tresor repped this.
  16. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    He wasn't actually born in Hawaii, he was born in Africa....oh wait! That's someone else!

ceezmad and yurch10 repped this.
  17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

I never thought USSF and the Arena clan would go this low, to block fredo from what is rightfully his...….. a chance with the USMNT.

Free FREDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marius Tresor repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well...………...he's obviously eligible as he's a US citizen. He's also cap-tied permanently to the US as he played in the Gold Cup for us.

I don't think there's anything going on here other than a series of USMNT coaches have preferred other players. It's now 4 USMNT coaches that have passed on him.. He was also, it should be noted, a fringe player for our U20s and U23s.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Don’t really understand the “four coaches have preferred other.”

I guess we could say several coaches also passed on Long going back to his youth days.

In this particular instance, Berhalter hasn’t even brought him into a camp while his competition for rosters spots are far weaker than they’ve been in a decade (2019 Bradley, Trapp, Roldan) but have been auto-calls and even starters. SMH.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Alfredo broke into first team soccer at Hertha Berlin in 2010 while Bradley was coach. (He started getting callups as a U20 in 2008). So Bradley, Klinsmann, Arena, and now Berhalter have mostly passed over Alfredo. Its 5 if you want to count Sarachan, which I don't. Sacachan gave debuts to Adams, McKennie, etc. instead.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem if Morales is called in by Berhalter. No problem whatsoever.

21. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Thanks, I didn't see the other thread. Was going off of a Sciaretta tweet from a few days ago which someone quoted in the comments on a SSFC post. My bad

22. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    LOL, I'm far from a Berhalter supporter. I got bad info. It happens

23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Why should it be noted that he was a fringe player for our U20s and U23s? Do you mean since he wasn't a star in the youth teams, that somehow his improvement/current club situation is less impressive because he wasn't a top player a decade ago?

Why does it matter what 4 coaches have done? He was largely a BL2 player his career. He's now playing routinely in the Bundesliga for a team that finished 10th last year. Shouldn't we be calling players in based on current form and performance? I think we all get so stuck in how it's always been, and who are best players have been (MB90 somehow still playing, taking forever to move off Backpass Beaz, Howard, Guzan, etc) that we ignore who our best players are currently. Currently, Morales should likely be starting for the US team. Does it mean he should be starting in a year? Nope.

And that doesn't even consider his competition now is worse than it's been for a decade, as well.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I demand a long form birth certificate!