Alfredo Morales discussion thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bshredder, Aug 14, 2019.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes, but I think head to head, Nagbe is a better option for the US than Morales would be. Again, folks need to go back and watch the 2018 Wolfsburg, Eintracht, N'burg, BMG games - really his whole stretch last fall. Not that he's terrible or would be totally out of his element, he's just not our best options - I think - for how this team can best play. Fortuna was a mess last year, so it's a bit harsh to judge him completely on their play, but I've watched him on and off over the years, I just don't see him as an upgrade and at 29 I think there are younger options that have more upside for us. And if we think we need a vet, I think Nagbe is more versatile and a better choice.

2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I agree. Club form gets you there, but once you're there you have to compete for and take your minutes.

3. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    If you get on the field, you get a shot.

Yedlin played as a wing in the world cup...instantly made an impact. Dempsey played all over the place...instantly made an impact. Donovan played all over the place. Same story. Tony Sanneh. Carlos Bocanegra. Benny Feilhaber. Josh Wolff.

Want minutes? Make it to where they can't keep you off the field.

That's how this sport works.

tomásbernal repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not an honest one.
    He played as an attacking fullback, which is what he is.
    They were attackers who played in attacking positions.

CB/LB who played as a CB and stay-at-home LB.

A am/cm/lcm who has played as an am/cm/lcm
    It's tough to succeed if you aren't played in something approximating your normal position.

Not really.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  5. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR

Yes, and Alfredo Morales is a midfielder who played in the midfield for the USMNT.

He wouldn't be the first player to get moved into a different position by a better player.

I certainly don't see him beating out one of Adams or McKennie, so if he is incapable of being versatile like everyone else has been asked to do (including the best player on the team Pulisic), then it's easy to see why there wouldn't be a spot for him on a roster.

However, he has already shown that he is willing to play nice just like everyone ever has done for the Nats, so we don't have to worry about him not making a game day squad because of "not getting a fair shot"...thank goodness.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morales is a CM/DM who mainly played wide midfield for the US. So he was played grossly out of position. When he was played in his natural position against Switzerland, he excelled.

Being able to play the various positions in central midfield is demonstrating versatility.

I'm making no great claims for the player. He simply did not get a fair shot. He may be or may not have been a top-4 cm. We likely will never know. Every cycle has its what ifs and other assorted sob stories. That's life.

Marius Tresor, UncagedGorilla and DHC1 repped this.
  7. UncagedGorilla

Barcelona
    Sep 22, 2009
    East Bay, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He doesn't have to beat out McKennie or Adams, all he has to do is beat out our sixth best center midfielder.

And here's the thing about your "players should be able to play multiple positions" argument. Pulisic, Donovan, and Dempsey were transcendent talents by USMNT standards. They probably could have played about anywhere on the field and been good enough for us. You think Jozy Altidore or John Brooks could go play a bunch of different positions? Of course not. But does that mean they don't have a role on the team? Of course not. It's nice to have a few guys you can move around but we already have Holmes, Lletget, and Pulisic who can all play wide and central. We don't need a bunch of guys who are decent at multiple positions. We need someone like Morales who is more than capable of playing the Bradley or McKennie positions for his club, which is in the Bundesliga. Besides McKennie, who else do we have that could feasibly be a 6 and an 8/10? Seems like a pretty useful cog to have around to me.

Maybe Michael Bradley or Will Trapp should be asked to be more versatile? Where do you suggest they could fit into the team since all of our players have to be able to play multiple positions to be worthy of a roster spot?

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I am not advocating any particular player. I'm simply stating the obvious, which is that a player can earn their spot in the 18 of their own volition. Unless they pull a Steve Snow, it's highly probable that the players who perform best will end up on the roster. It increases the likelihood even more if you can show versatility.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Agreed. A player can earn their spot at club level, largely by playing regularly in a top 3 league. Every other starter in a top 3 league is virtually a starting 11 guarantee (CP, Yedlin, McKennie, Adams, Brooks).

Morales isn't in our best 40.

Marius Tresor and DHC1 repped this.
  10. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I'd take Morales over Roldan every time, but that's just me.

However, Morales is not a victim. He has been given chances.

nbarbour repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He really hasn't been, certainly not at cm/dm.

Marius Tresor, majspike and DHC1 repped this.
  12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    You sound very silly.

You say players can earn their way to the USMNT with club play. Morales is one of about 5-7 guys we have starting routinely in a top 3 league.

Then you say he has already had his chance, 4 years ago, and thus not capable of improved form or performance (ie. contradicting your point that players can earn it with club play).

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It was actually 3 years ago, which in the grand scheme is not very long. Its the difference between age 26 and 29 and unfortunately for Alfredo, he will be over 30 during the next world cup and highly unlikely to be considered unless he were to stake a claim as a leader.

Whether or not you think anyone is silly is not my concern. I'm only concerned with reality. The reality is that when you don't perform, you don't get called. 2 + 2 = 4...I'm not interested in newspeak.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    “when you don't perform, you don't get called. 2 + 2 = 4“

- Bradley
    - Trapp
    - Omar
    - Lovitz
    - Lewis
    - Baird

Are players who didn’t perform in the last Hex and under Berhalter. Should they be called in?

15. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    3 years ago! Golazo in Azteca! It still matters!

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    So then Bradley should have never touched the field again after 2017. /

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Not in this program, you get called in based on your family connections.

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. Good thing, then, that Berhalter has sired so many children with different mothers from all around the country and world!

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morales vs Leverkusen--82% passing, 4 aerials, 3 ints, 1 goal, WS_7.8(the game's 3rd highest).

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There were all kinds of things Morales did in this play that MB90 and WTF cant do.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Did you guys forget 2017? He wasnt just not making an impact was very poor.

This isnt the MLS fan biy thread. Nagbe has a couple of unique technical and physical tools but he is a very incomplete player. He is succesful at ATL because he has a very limited role that hides his weaknesses. He has a pure dmid to protect him and 4 very strong attacking players in front of him. It appears his only job is to get the ball from the back 5 to the front 4. His skill of dribbling and holding off defenders gets magnified because he misses passes over and over.

Morales isnt an ideal option, but I see him as a big improvement over Bradley, Trapp, nagbe, etc. He is a decent two way player that could effectively play a limited role of protecting the backline and distributing the ball. I'd put him as our third best dmid option behind Adam's and mckennie.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Actually, under DeBoer, Nagbe has had expansive and varied roles. And he has won MLS Cups with two very different franchises.

nbarbour and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

That's a hell of a controlled finish in the box.

KicksNgiggles and Marius Tresor repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok. I disagree, but no one important is asking either of us.

My preference is to move a number of 20-25 year olds into steady rotation in the midfield. Adams (once healthy) & McKennie, of course, but I'd also look at as many other Youngers as make sense. But if Morales got called in I would not be upset, but I do think anyone with high expectations will be disappointed.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I want to move on to young players too. I think we should be very proactive about getting guys like pomykal, mendez, and ledezma into camps, but they will need time, may be better off staying with clubs, and may be with the u23s.

My starting midfield would be the 20/21 yos... Adam's, mckennie, pulisic. I dont think the 4 other midfielders at the GC are in our top 23 and would like to start looking at players outside of clear stars and MLS guys. I'd probably bring more than three midfield back ups to see how the players stack up. I'd probably look to Morales, Pomykal, Hyndman, Holmes, and Green. Given Adams and Hilmes may not be healthy, there be room for one or two more.

I dont think Morales is some great player, but I do think he would be a big upgrade to what we have been seeing. He is a much more well rounded player so we wouldn't have to devise as many ways to hide weaknesses. I think just couple fewer turnovers or times opponents run through the middle of the field is a big improvement.

Namdynamo, Marius Tresor and DHC1 repped this.