Alexi Lalas Rumor

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Aug 28, 2002.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was listening to Hacksaw Hamilton on 690 am yesterday at around 4:30 and he had a rumor that the San Diego Soccers were moving to MISL (or whatever the indoor league is called). While I don't know if that was news or what, but he then followed it up with saying they were trying to sign our very own Mr. Lalas. He commented it would add alot of credibility to the team.

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smacksaw with Soccer exclusives....that's funny. :)

However, I'd be surprised if 'Lexi's contract extends past this season.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IF we get our Korean defender, and IF we stay with a 3 man back line, I am afraid that Lalas is the logical odd man out.

Both Tyrone and Danny C have played solidly in the three-man back line where their role is more of a pure marking back, and they are both younger than Alexei.

4. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell No !!!

A Yellow Card on you Cadaver !!!

Between Alexi, Tyronne, and Danny

Califf is the odd man out everytime !!

You can train an old dog ( Alexi ) a new trick.

But you cant train the son of Frankenstein ( Califf ) anything, but what he knows... like running around the field with his arms out groaning.. and hollaring.. the bolts in his neck covered by the galaxy jersey. Lumbering around the field until he catches a speedy forward in the box and pummels him into a pulp and gives up that penalty he longs for all match long.

Danny Califf is the worst defender in MLS and hopefully if we get the korean. the A-league next year.

5. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing to do with Califf is send him to the A-League. He needs quality time against quality opponents to work out the bugs in his game. Dumping Califf for an aging international wouldn't be a smart move. I'm for keeping all three and adding Hong. Who is to say we won't be changing back to a 442? Really though how many years does Lalas have left? Lots I hope because he is playing great right now. How many years will Hong be around if we don't get him until his current contract is up? It seems to me that Califf does a lot of the dirty work on the back line although he is mistake prone, but he is still young and is getting better. Every team needs an enforcer, do I like that part of the game? No, but it is reality. When some Nerfquack takes a cheep shot on Ruiz, Cobi or whomever, who do you want on the pitch to deliver payback and make them think twice about doing it again? Thats right, "Thug Life" baby! What about some real nice headers off set pieces? Dare I bring up a certain Golden Goal in the USOC final? You gotta love that "flag smack" goal celebration. Bottom line Sigi isn't giving up on Califf.

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus with hong, he'll have to very experienced and good backs to learn from, hopefully if he has half a brain he will.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong - I am a HUGE Lalas fan. I am delighted with the way he has solidified our back line. BUT, I have no idea how much longer he wants to play or can play - he is one of those guys with a lot of different interests in life and no one would be surprised if he hangs up his boots at the end of the season.

Califf is MUCH better in a three-man backline where he can be a pure man marker. There is no way I would give up on him, and I LIKE the edge he brings to the game. He is the first real "hard man" we have had on the team since Danny Pena left. I am very happy that other team's forwards worry about our thug when they venture onto our side of the field.

Maybe we can go back to a 4 man back line, and maybe with Tyrone healthy and around for training camp, we can convert. But our 4 man back was so disorganized early in the year that we were getting burned again and again. And Califf WASN'T the only defender getting burned, either. That just has not happened with three defenders.

All I was saying is that IF we stick with three and IF Hong comes on board, you know Hong is not going to sit. I expect he is best suited to the central role that Lalas plays. That's just the logical outcome.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sockers drafted Lalas (in whatever silly draft the MISL has) in the later rounds, with the hope of drafting him. This was NOT a Smacksaw exclusive, just a little indoor league nugget.

Lalas has my vote for comeback player of the year. Why would he want to go play indoor when he's resurrected his career?

The only answer I can think of is money, something the indoor teams don't have much of.

9. soccer freak 425

soccer freak 425 New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Nebraska
    I can justify that in my opinion I am Alexi's biggest fan and all I can say is that I think he has one more year of mls in him. But, I don't know if he will stay w/ the galaxy or not. Like someone already said he has so many intrests and abilities he may go into broadcasting next year, play or make some more music.

Speaking of his music...does anyone know anything about his music lately? Is he going to put out any more cds if so does anyone know when? if you haven't heard his music you should really check it out it...it rocks!
    --mandy

10. ag944

ag944 New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas

I can't imagine that Alexi will want to leave before he gets a chance to play in the new stadium. Whether Sigi wants to give him that chance is open to debate, though considering that Lalas said he'd play for the minimum, you'd have to think Sigi'd keep him around, at least as a sub.

As far as enforcers are concerned, did you see Lalas pay Faria back last night for the cheapshot clothesline he pulled on Hartman?

Faria is a brave man (or incredibly stupid) to pull that kind of stuff with both Alexi and Danny out there.

Also, Califf did a good job of marking Diallo 'til the latter got injured. The only other guy I've seen able to shut "Big Mama" down is the inimitable, irrepressible Robin Fraser.

---Mark

11. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MISL

Average Dallas Sidekicks (indoor) game attracted about 12k fans. And it's VERY cheap to use arenas compared to stadiums. Believe it or not, there's a bit o' cash in the pro-indoor soccer scene. Not only that, some of the best players are late thirties and some in their 40's! I'd expect Alexi to play MLS another year than perhaps either go broadcast, or coach/play indoor.

Or cure cancer.

All are good.

tmack

12. carsway

carsway New Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Miami
    No Way!

If Lalas goes to indoor soccer at this point, I would be schocked! Alexi is, without question, the best defender on the Galaxy and is stacking up to be one of the best in the league right now. I think he's selling himself cheap to the Galaxy. Lalas is only 31 and he's playing great. Unless he becomes player, coach, GM and partial owner why the fu*k would he go indoor?

13. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Alexi played great last night as he has all year. The smart money is on him to win Defender of the Year and I'm not counting on it but he's only one cap away from 100.

14. seraph

seraph New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    LA
    Re: Hell No !!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

AGREED!

15. seraph

seraph New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    LA
    Mistakes and enforcement should be left to midfielders.

The reality is that defenders and keepers have the worst jobs on the field. They are not allowed to make mistakes. Mistakes = goals. A forward can screw up 9 out of 10 times but be the hero for the one he put in. A defender who screws up 9 out of 10 with be strung up by his balls. Just ask Agoos :)

Enforcement will get you cards. At no point do I want a defender in a 3 back system getting red carded for a little pay back. If he is the best defender and works well and practices in that system every week, making a bench boy come in to replace him is crap. You want an enforcer, go get a Danny Pena. D-Mid is your enforcer.