Alex Morgan's Injury

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by skybolt, Mar 11, 2014.

1. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Based on a recent article it seems that there's still no time table set for Morgan's return from an ankle injury. She's still not able to run at this point. It's looking pretty likely that she won't be ready for the start of the NWSL Season or perhaps even the matches against France in June. :(

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    She would have been better off with an ACL tear at this point.
    At least she would have only been out for like nine months or so.
    This is taking FOREVER.

Hopefully she has insurance on her ankle, like J-Lo had on her arse.
    Morgan may lose some endorsements eventually, because she's gotta keep her name out there.
    At least she was smart enough to do the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit photo-shoot.
    She knows how to rack in the green cheddar.
    She wears the Financial pants in the family (not Carrasco).

Semblance17 repped this.
  3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^THIS^

4. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody please tell me why it's taking forever for her friggin ankle to heal? What did she do to it??? She better be ready in time for the WC

Semblance17 repped this.
  5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :whistling:

The sponsors jump ship only if USSoccer picks another face as their soccer girl of the future. That won't happen at least until after 2019 or some ridiculous year like that. So she can continue to count her sponsorship coins.

Well, I could see them pulling a wolf on people and convincing the sheep that the Mewis Sisters are the mid-fielders of the future. o_O

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If we see the Mewis sisters on an ESPN SportsCenter commercial, I will just fall over dying of laughter.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #7 WPS_Movement, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    It's taking FOREVER. At this point, she probably did something really funky. Me thinks she was eating Cheetos while looking at Playgirl, and she accidentally hit her device up against her ankle real hard. It had to be something really embarrassing for her, because it seems they are acting really strange (as if they're covering it up in terms of how it happened, and why it's taking so long to recover).

I'm thinking she re-aggregated it yet again while having orange residue on her hands & then something slipped.
    The other theory I have is that she must have dropped her wine glass on the exact worst spot on her ankle (by the exact millimeter in terms of its impact), and that's causing a longer recovery time. Simply put, and to be discreet, she must have hit her Funny Bone really hard.

The final theory I have is that she needs more free time to write more children's books.
    Her next title is, "From the Pitch to the Scenic Water Fountain", a heartwarming story about giving it all at practice, and then taking it all off after practice while doing a near nude photo-shoot for a conglomerate magazine. :cool:

Disclaimer: Alex Morgan is good at capitalism. Props to her.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read and seen, she went down with what was thought to be a simple sprain, and she came back too quickly. Then they discovered it was actually a stress reaction or stress fracture (I've heard both...stress fractures are slightly more serious). Because this injury is often a result of overuse, you have to stay away from any weight-bearing activity. And if it doesn't heal completely, it'll reoccur. They're trying to avoid that...its better that she takes the time now to heal completely than to re-injure it later and miss qualification or even the WWC.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    the video suggests that it's a very unusual injury- stress fracture of the talus bone which has very little blood supply which is what's needed for healing.

no surgery needed.

she just has to hurry up and be patient or else it could be a broken record of the same injury that can stifle her career.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    How does she go about doing that??

11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think the first thing she needs to do is break off her engagement...:D

But really, the predictable recovery process seems to be the exception rather than the rule lately. Look at Heath's injury: a "sore ankle" shouldn't have kept her sidelined from the USWNT for over 8 months. "Hurry up and be patient" is actually one of the less egregious contradictions that might come up in a discussion about an injury like Morgan's. And it makes sense in its own nonsensical way. She needs to get back on the team as soon as she possibly can WITHOUT risking aggravating the injury again.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Doublemint Gum

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Paul Riley said on Talk_Timbers podcast that he is planning to play the first two months of the season without her.

14. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    It's looking like she'll be out for the matches against France as well if this timetable is correct.

15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ever since she got engaged she hasn't been reliable.
    Whether she's faking or exaggerating her injury or not, the end result is the same. She's not available.
    Man, that Carrasco is one really big Assle. :)
    Naw, he's not really an Assle, he's her Castle.

At this point, I would say put a fork in Morgan for 2014.
    Let's just hope she can get back before Memorial Day in 2015, so she can get some practice time with the team.
    WWC starts on June 6 next year. Less than 15 months away now.
    She'll probably do another photo-shoot to keep her name relevant until then.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is it going to take to get you to stop this crap?

exref, jackiesdad, hasselhoff and 3 others repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I think @WPS_Movement is just summarizing the current frustrations of a lot of Alex Morgan fans, myself included, albeit in a very...colorful way. At any rate, the last time I checked, this forum doesn't prohibit the use of a little poetic license.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't think anyone minds a little poetry.

This is just throwing manure around in the hope of spattering someone. Feel free to stand between us if you wish.:p

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I won't lie, I LOL'd at this foolishness. That said...

[​IMG]

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, I've never seen an athlete miss this much time due to an ankle injury, unless their ankle was ripped completely off their foot and hanging by a thread of skin or something. If that's the case, I can see it taking 9 months after it's reset & put back in place. It's not like Morgan had to have her foot completely reset. And it's not like she just had a baby. Instead, she only sprained her ankle. I've seen athletes tape it up & come back in to the game in a matter of minutes. Even for high ankle sprains. I've also seen other athletes miss a few weeks tops (maybe 6-8 weeks at the very most). It's getting to the point where she's almost being a drama queen about it.

21. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she really wants to go to the World Cup people.... so she's taking her sweet time getting that sucker healed 200 percent! She's like Kobe Bryant, we just keep waiting and waiting...... and nothing

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #22 WPS_Movement, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    I think it's safe to say that it's official now.
    Morgan is a "Prima-Donna" and a "Pre-Madonna".
    The first female athlete in the history of women's sports that can actually claim that.
    Billie Jean King was a Prima-Donna, but she was surely not a Pre-Madonna.

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid to ask how exactly you define each of those two terms...

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Urban dictionary is a help:

[​IMG]

25. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Madonna a soccer player?! Maybe that was somehow better than her singing ability (I think so!).