Alex Morgan is pregnant, due in April

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by PortiereNuovo, Oct 23, 2019.

1. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
    jackdoggy and Mills repped this.
  2. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    According to her statement she intends to be ready to go to Japan.

If you work it back... she could have had the predicted victory party conception

Huge congratulations to Baby Horse!!

and that’s the tea.

jnielsen and jackdoggy repped this.
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl
    Well sure.....happy, healthy, well adjusted but - -
    Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl
    This child will be able to balance a soccer ball on her head at 6 months
    Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl
    Full blown National Team at the age of 12.
    Please be a girl, Please be a girl, Please be a girl
    Obviously named Catherine for Catherine The Great or CTG
    Please be a girl​

taosjohn repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news: She's already announced in the instagram post that its a girl.

jackdoggy and JanBalk repped this.
  5. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are any of the 91ers' or 99ers' kids Youth National Team players?

RUfan repped this.
  7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know surprisingly, none of the 91ers/99ers kiddies have really followered in their famous mother's footsteps. I know Foudy's kids are still pretty young and I don't know if they are sporty. At the end of the day, they know how much time, effort, and passion is needed to get to that level and maybe so far, the kids haven't really shown that drive. I know some of the veterans work with children as coaches(Brandi Chastain springs to mind)

There's probably going to be more pressure with the current roster of moms because those ladies like Morgan, LeRoux, (possible moms like Ertz, Ohai, and Lloyd) have married men that are all professional athletes and are going to be pretty competitive families.

zdravstvuyte and soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Congrats to her! Yep she timed it well to get ready for the Olympics.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Mia coaches her kids, she mentioned it on Foudy's podcast, but it didn't sound like it was a high level of play.

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mia had her twins in 2007, I think. That would make them only about 12. It also is not surprising that they are not, at least yet, notable on the national level in sports as it is somewhat unusual for children to follow their parent(s) at anything close to the same level even if they change sports. That is a large part of what makes stories like Kyle Rote and Jr's so interesting.

In fact the only thing really surprising about Mia's kids is the fact that there were only two. I kind of expected her to go for the hat trick. ;) :D:cool::ROFLMAO::devilish:

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any of their children need that kind of pressure on them, but most of their kids are not old enough yet anyway. Only Joy Fawcett's children are college-aged or older (Carla Overbeck's son would also be in college, I think), and Fawcett was the first of the group to have kids. All three of her daughters were/are into sports, but only her oldest played soccer at the collegiate level, I think. But she wasn't a standout player.

McSkillz and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree wholeheartedly, there are dozens of NFL, NBA, and MLB examples where fathers and sons have both played at the highest professional level.

Ken Griffey Junior might be the best known example.

There is even one for US soccer that leaps to mind, Taylor Twellman and his dad Tim.

13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Also wonder if she will be able to come back after? Some can, some cant. Leroux couldnt and she was a speed player, like Morgan

14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. USWNT at the age of 12
    TRUST jackdoggy

zdravstvuyte repped this.
  15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did not say, or imply, that it never happens. In fact I showed an example where it did.

While there are dozens of examples like you state, there are tens of thousands, at least, where the kids of top sports figures did not go into top level sports or did not even try. The results from vast majority do not support any genetic or emotional predisposition for kids of top players to even move into sports at all. If there were a predisposition then the exposure to top level play and talent should result in a much higher rate of excellence among kids of the best players but their rate does not seem really higher than the population's average.

In fact I seem to remember a study from the late 80s or early 90s that showed a rate of success in sports for kids of top players at or below the rate for the general public. But I will admit that I cannot find that study at this time so I cannot support my position with it. (Possibly it was never rendered online) I do remember that it only included kids that tried to excel in sports and excluded kids from both groups that never tried at all.

I also remember a study from much longer ago (late 60s or early 70s) that seemed to show that for sports, like the overall population, talent appeared to skip a generation or two.

Namdynamo and BostonRed repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh no! I had great faith in Homare Sawa's daughter (now aged 2). :(

zdravstvuyte and McSkillz repped this.
  17. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #17 FanOfFutbol, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Nothing like this is 100% true (or even 80%) so it does not mean that hope should be gone.

It is also possible that Sawa's genetic makeup is so strong that the genes will overcome the statistics.

But a clone or five would be more certain, I think.

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also, as @McSkillz pointed out above, it is possible that being the daughter of two athletes and not just one can heighten the chances of becoming an high level athlete too and, as it happened to Morgan and other US players, Sawa married a footballer. :)

Every Four Years repped this.
  19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh she did? Amazeballs! I just recently watched a documentary series that included Sawa on Amazon titled "This is Football" that devoted an episode to the Nadeshiko during WWC 2011.

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure how good Sawa's husband was as a footballer, but he's a former Vegalta Sendai's player called Hiroaki Tsujikami.

So, when, about 20 years from now, you're going to hear of a Tsujikami girl doing wonders at the WWC, you'll know she's Sawa #2. :giggle:

McSkillz repped this.
  21. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sometime it is the DNA of those that are several generations removed that cause talents to bloom.That is the only explanation I can come up with for my granddaughters being so beautiful and talented. (just not in sports) The parents (my daughter and son in law are average and I and the other grandparents are no better. But if you go back several generations in all lines you find people that were both beautiful and talented.

They are completely different but both are so talented in their chosen fields that they are sure to be at or near the top unless they inherited my lack of ambition which neither shows any sings of that lack.

I "think" that ambition and/or drive to excel is what really makes the good talent great and I also "think" that ambition is more nurture than nature. That "could" be a part of the reason why "talent" seems to skip a generation as the kids of ambitious people see the bad as well as the good about excessive ambition and that leads them to not allow the pressure to have the same effect on them as it does on their parents.1

One more thing and I hope it is not seen as racist because it is in no way intended that way: I believe that the Japanese culture often puts too much strain on their kids to be the best and that has the adverse effect of burning kids out too young. But that gets offset to some extent because nearly all kids are encouraged to excel making it more rare that a kid gets missed.. It really just hurts the most talented of the youngest children.

BTW: My oldest granddaughter has received a bit of bullying in her new Japanese school due to her skewing the math curve. But she worked it out herself by simply teaching the other kids what she learned elsewhere. It appears that at least some Japanese kids are better than other races at accepting help to get better rather than simply complaining like a lot of us in the US, and other places, seem to do. My hope is that she can sometime soon get her ideas into a form where I can understand some of it. I "used" to think I was very good at math but she passed me a couple of years ago and I guess I have become the "dumb" but cuddly grandpa.

blissett repped this.
  22. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Racist?
    It’s a cultural observation!

And very adroit as well.

blissett repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is pretty much what I was striving for but people have become so sensitive and so unable to read real intentions that I was concerned that misinterpretation was possible.

BTW: I sometimes do the same kind of things but you need to remember this is an internet board and words like "adroit" are often not understood at all, but thanks for the kind read.

24. Dfwsoccer01

Dfwsoccer01 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sorry to all the Alex lovers, but she ain’t going to be ready for the olympics...
    1) she wasn’t even playing well recently to begin with
    2) being world class soccer fit in that short of turnaround will be near impossible
    3) that amount of lay-off time causes all kinds of issues for any pro athlete from a mental standpoint. You simply can take that much time off and magically jump right back where you where. Touch, timing, everything will be off for quite a while...

25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well there was a player that did it MUCH faster. Joy Fawcett returned just a couple of weeks after one of her kids came and she would breast feed another at halftime during club play.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2003-10-10-0310100276-story.html

Of course she was not a forward but the president has been set.

jackdoggy repped this.