Alex Del Piero - A Legend among Juve Legends

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Falc, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    This may very well be Alex's final season with Juve. As such, he deserves his own thread. I will have comments regarding my theory of why we are coming to this conclusion. But as Sean Connery once stated, never say never. I know many of us hope for another magical season from Il Capitano.

2. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree that we need ADP's own thread...no need to bring down baggio's name just to prove ADP's accomplishments at juve.

I think just the fact that we had a great season and can possibly win the league and coppa italia...that ADP should be resigned at least another year just for the support of CL. He shouldnt be a starter but more of an iconic figure on our bench and make some appearances in CL as well. Especially if we do good in CL, he will be praised more and more and so will the juve brand be back on the list of top teams. People forgot about us and ADP appearance will remind them of who we were.

3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Greatest Italian player ever?

Greatest Italian player ever. No debate.

There will never be another one like il grande capitano, il nostro Pinturicchio, Alessandro Del Piero.

Many people will be compared, but no one can match Ale. We must consider ourselves grateful for being allowed to witness such beauty, cuore, e grinta, but also a man of humility and grace. Who can say an unkind word about ADP? Interstronzi will try, but they cannot put him down because of how great he truly is.

Sempre Il Grande Capitano. Sempre Numero Dieci. Sempre Alessandro Del Piero.

4. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I am making a prediction: We will win the thing that goes on the shirt. They will announce all of the players individually, and they will announce Alex's name last. When they do, he will walk out of that tunnel, and the crowd will go apeshit. Tears will flow from both the crowd and Alex. He will stop just before making it to the podium, and they will put a video up on the boards of Alex signing his last contract for Juve. He signs the contract, and gets a hearty handshake from Agnelli. He then goes up on the podium, receives his medal, and the trophy, and then the credits will roll as they shoot champagne on each other.

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pinturicchio deserves to leave the big Juventus stage with the Scudetto ... and I'm pretty sure he'll be enjoying a great & very emotional farewell.

[​IMG]

6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    keep dreaming. sounds great but not gonna happen. And ADP the greatest italian of all time? close, but no cigar, Baggio was miles better. But i do prefer Alex over any other player just cause hes my favorite

7. 1251alex

1251alex Member+

Oct 3, 2010
    La Mirada, CA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Like it or not, ADP is the greatest Italian player of all time. Case closed. nothing else to it.

Gonna get this year's pink jersey with his number on it. does this site seem legit?

http://www.shopsoccersjersey.com/juventus-jerseys-c-356_364.html

the home jersey of course looks like shit but the away one looks just fine to me. I've ordered jerseys off of sites like this and they have usually been legit. :)

8. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Baggio was better

9. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No doubt and it was never even close. Some seem to forget how many CL finals he and that tool Lippi lost to inferior teams plus his goat of the match performance against France in 2000. Or the fact that he had 2 world cup goals. And he played on much better teams than Baggio did.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now I'm reading the Seattle Sounders in the MLS have made ADP an offer.

11. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    He'll never go to Seattle. Not that there's anything wrong with Seattle, but most people overseas only know 2 cities: New York and LA, and I wish that he would come to a team that visits the Union twice so I can see him live twice!

12. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mario Batali is from Seattle and from what I understand they have some decent Italian food there and its one of the top soccer cities in the USA so I wouldnt discount them but it rains all the time there. Personally if I were him I'd go to Montreal because its the best city in North America. Much more European than NY or LA and the food rivals anywhere. Only draw back is the cold weather.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even the best city in Canada.

If by European you mean snobbish, then yes, it's very European.

And the French.

14. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Dante, I'm going to Montreal this summer. Can you recommend some places to go since you've obviously been there.

By the way, love the sig!

15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Forgive my ignorance with this new format but Kens this restaurant is owned by a friend of a friend and I had a great meal there www.ilboccalini.com.

KensingtonSC repped this.
  16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the underground city, it's kitschy but if you're there you might as well go.

Places to eat, try Joe Beef and Schwartz's (for a good deli).

I haven't spent much time there, I like Toronto and Vancouver better.

17. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    To play on plastic over concrete in the rain in an American football stadium?
    Rrrrrriggghhhhttttt....

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What emotional moments that's gonna be for Alex at Juve Arena next week! ;)

Fantastic farewell for a great player and Juventus idol. :thumbsup:

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He deserves to hoist up (at least one) trophy before he leaves Juventus!!!!

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't do it either. May as well go play at Novara so he wouldn't have to move his family...We know either will happen though...

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Can't wait to see Alex play next week and lift the trophy. Will the presentation take place before or after the match?

Here is my theory on the Del Piero saga.....

We have two ships going on different routes. Juve is looking to launch a new era, which this season has gotten off to a great start. Del Piero is the last of the old, old guard. The club has had great legends in the past and will continue to do so in the future. So it is looking to go in a new path.

Del Piero has stated that he wants to play until he reaches 40. He also likely wants to be a protagonist on a weekly basis. The most difficult thing for a star player in any sport is to suddenly not be the guy. He is not ready for retirement yet. But he is not that player of a decade or more ago. No doubt that he still can compete, still can contribute, still be a star. Just not as bright as in the past.

So we have these two ships with different plans for their future. Nothing hostile between them. Just that passing in time where they are in different directions. Maybe another season can be salvaged. Will Alex be willing to retire under such circumstances? Will it be more difficult for him to get onto a club a year older? He might be able to pull off a 2-3 year contract with someone else. Juve would only be for a season. It is unfortunate. I would love to see him get a last chance at CL play. Who knows what may happen in the next two weeks.

22. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    King Alex signing my 1998 CL final ticket stub.

24. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Artemio, did you speak to him in English or Italian? I always wondered if he spoke good English. I can't find any interviews where he speaks English.

25. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really didnt say anything to him but I did talk to Chiellini in English. Don't know either if he can speak English and I cant really speak Italian that well though I understand it pretty good.