Alex Blake Underated

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by generall, Oct 17, 2003.

1. generall

generall New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    I thought Blake performed extremely well despite very limited playing time throughout the year. Blake nearly scored in the 42nd and 67th, set up the penalty on a brilliant move, and iced the game in the 84th looking like a savvy vet as calmly pushed the ball into the back of the net. I see him as a very opportunistic goal scorer - a vital unfilled position the Rapids certainly need heading into the playoffs. I don't believe his defense is exceptional, but his natural nose for the goal, speed and power, and ability to put himself in dangerous places merits a greater look. I question Hankinson's judgement in not developing this talented rookie earlier in the season. Hanky has made very few thoughtful substitutions throughout the year and developed young talent poorly. I don't believe Blake would have been this year's Damani Ralph, but he clearly demonstrated he deserves a greater role than Hankinson excluding him from the travel squad on nearly every away game.

2. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I thought Blake was injured for the majority of the season?

I would like to see him get some chances in a real game against MLS defenders, especially before the playoffs start.

And for the record.................I judge Hankinson too, not just on this.

3. Rollins

Rollins New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Northern England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word around camp is that he is a P#$%y. Very soft, and has had an assortment of niggling injuries that he is unable or unwilling to practice/train through, and thus Hanki doesnt give him the opportunity to play throught either.

4. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Don't know about Blake being a puss but how do you give this guy time when Spencer is scoring at a decent rate, Carrieri is playing the best soccer of his life, Schmidt scoring a ton in preseason, and Zizi being an SI? I mean, he was also late in reporting because of his desire to graduate (nothing wrong there) and for the last few months has been nursing injuries.

Plus, Blake readily admits that he has a ton to learn and that Hanki told him he was going to be at a disadvantage because he came in late and because he was injured. He just wanted to show Hanki that he could play and I think he did that.

That said, he isn't ready for MLS just yet. His off the ball runs are lacking and he needs to realize that he can't be a up-top striker all the time. He needs to come back to get the ball to keep the defense off balance. Watching him on Wednesday showed that he has a lot of raw skills and speed but he needs to channel it. He was much better in the last 15 minutes of the first half and the first 15 minutes of the second.

He could travel with the team on Saturday but I think he will get his chance in 2004 when he'll get stronger and more playing time with the team in pre-season.

5. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Where is the Piserchio is underrated thread?

Blake had a good game. Schmidt, Spenny, Carrieri, and Zizi have all also had their share of good games. One good game does not a starting forward make.

6. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This from the guy that is still gushing about Beckerman's goal against Mines two years ago....

7. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    It wasn't against Mines, dangit. It was against a quality Canadian team, The Ogopogo Flamers or something.

Seriously, it was a beautiful goal. You should have been there.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Considering, after all, that Damani Ralph is this year's Damani Ralph...