Alejandro Guido signs with Club Tijuana

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He's been a 2nd Half sub in two of Tijuana's preseason games so far (Dorados de Sinaloa and America)

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear. I hope he sees some playing time in the Apertura.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejandro is on the bench for tonight's Copa MX game against 2nd tier Merida. Greg Garza is in the starting lineup and appears to be the only other YA in the Tijuana squad tonight. Two YAs do get the start for Merida: Sonny Guadarrama and Isaac Acuna. The game will streamed on ESPN3 starting at 10 eastern.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Scored for the reserves (U-20's) today

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear :thumbsup:

7. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was checking for Guido today against Pachuca. Anyone know if Stevie Rodriguez is also with the reserves, like Guido is?

Also, any of you Southern California guys been down to a game in Tijuana? Would make for a great adventure and the easiest opportunity to see a yank abroad!

8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will get his professional debut today for TJs cup game, will start along with Garza

Tom Collingsworth and SoCalYid repped this.
  9. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up.

10. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting two Copa Mexico matches (and a couple of CCL games, including one with Chivas) on my TV package...but no Tijuana match, so any updates would be appreciated. I think Guido has a bright future, particularly if he can adjust to a quicke pace of play.

11. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on ESPN3 if you have it.

nbarbour repped this.
  12. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mille grazie!

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Alejandro on the far right in this pic

[​IMG]

Germerica repped this.
  14. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly it took me a good couple minutes before I could pick him out. He seems to have aged overnight.

edit: Just subbed out.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The stadium lighting combined with Tijuana's numbers are pretty hard to read too

16. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely was tough to pick out which one was Alejandro...stream isn't the best quality, numbers are tough to read, I don't understand spanish that well, and the announcers aren't doing a great job of calling out which player has the ball at any given moment. For some reason, Garza seems to be the only one I could consistently spot. :)

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. USASoccer12345

USASoccer12345 Red Card

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its ultimately Guido's decision what he does with his professional career, but if he wants to be a key member of the USMNT eventually will have to go to Europe. Donovan is the only real consistent member of the USMNT that plays has played in North America for his whole career. Certain guys are in and out of the National Team, but those aren't our top players. The only real guys being called in from the Mexican League and MLS are young MLS players and fringe National Team members(Torres, Beckerman, Wondo, Gomez, Castillo, Orozco Fiscal, Beasley). I don't think the Mexican League is bad by any stretch, but the Dutch league is A LOT better for a young attackers development than the Mexican League. Look, its his decision. I am happy for him that he is no longer home sick, but many players deal with the home sickness to get the better training and development over in Europe. Its still early in Guido's career, but I think that he will eventually have to move aboard if he wants to become a member of the USMNT.

19. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't interpret any of his actual quotes as him being negative about Europe at all. He said that he had a teammate who spoke Spanish and made it easier for him to adjust and he said everything over there was "an amazing experience". Seems like the author of the article might have played up the homesick part a bit, judging from the actual quotes.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's from San Diego/Tijuana, so I can understand why he would want to play for TJ.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup...and playing in the Mexican league for the next 3-6 years isn't going to hurt him one bit in terms of the USMNT.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially not in TJ, where they have a nice set up going.

23. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This....

Key word is 'playing'. I'd reckon he'd get more appearances in the next 2 to 3 years than if he left for Europe.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is one positive to be taken from Mexico's recent youth surge, it's that some of our guys are down there and will benefit from the changes implemented. The Copa Mexico is a perfect example, essentially a cup where teams are going to play all their young and reserve players.

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Esteban Rodriguez made the bench for their last game.:thumbsup: