Albright given no respect by LA management

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topaz_7, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Benaround

Benaround New Member

May 27, 2005
    Has anyone considered that Chris is an East Coast guy to begin with? He's from Philly, maybe he's not upset going back to that part of the country.

2. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No. I would be thinking about my family, net worth, marketability, and a clever way to tell AEG to go $%&* themselves.

3. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly my point, guy.
    Family - living in a wonderful environment, weather, quality of life in SoCal.
    Net Worth - Making a good wage on the most visible team with the greatest chance at drawing foreign interest.
    Marketability - see above.

I'd be willing to bet he'd rather be in LA. Now, the way Lalas is running things may have soured him on everything but I could certainly understand his initial decision of being willing to take a slight pay cut to stay.

4. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    While there's certainly something to be said about quality of life, the weather alone isn't necessarily a deciding factor. Consider for a moment that you can buy a 4000 square foot home in Texas for the same price as a two bedroom one bath home in Compton? Add that to an increased salary, better schools for you kids, and your friggen dignity left intact and it far outweighs the ability to go to the beach in the winter. And let's also not forget the Revs are a much better team. While the world may recognize the Galaxy, the Revs are the ones exporting players.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the Revs don't play in Texas. They play in/near Boston, which has one of the highest cost of living indexes in the country - one of the few places where real estate prices are as high or higher than SoCal. Doesn't help Albright much in that regard.

6. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    True but Albright wouldn't be in this predicament if he would have made a conscious decision to make his own destiny. I was merely negating a false pretence here that Albright was righly justified in his decision and we should all pity him for his unjust treatment by his employer.

Considering that few if any of us, have the same granular knowledge of AEG policies and practices as Albright would...yet we can all see that this is one skunk of an organization...why is it that Albright isn't "bright" enough to know that he and the welfare of his family would be better served and appreciated by excercising his own options, rather than having AEG do it for him?

7. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see much room for negotiation for these American-born players left in MLS, especially defenders.
    Almost every team in the league has entirely shifted its focus to making enough salary cap room to bring in the stars. There's not much left over to incentive other players and their growth year after year. Albright came on as a forward and grew into a defender and then grew into one of the best defenders in the league. His only real incentive was to be able to play for the same team in confidence of his position, and not have to move. I would've taken the minor pay cut for that. Especially, if I felt like, in doing that, I was showing loyalty to the organization.
    My problem is that Lalas either
    A. Got Chris to agree to the paycut to make him a more attactive trade or
    B. He actually wanted to keep Chris at the time, and then changed his mind during the length of a phone call from Nichols

I really believe it was B. which tells me we our plan for building this team is the same as it was last year: On the Fly
    And yes I do believe the Revs would've taken his rights, because of what I pointed out about lack of power in negotiation of salary, still Chris would've liked to have that as an option.