Albion formation & 'horses for courses'

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Sep 17, 2003.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been reading a lot about how Gary Megson would like to tailor Albion's formation and starting 11 to match whoever the opposition happens to be.

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I'm of the opinion that you would like to stay with a certain formation (like the trusty 3-5-2) and a consistent first team as much as possible. True, Megson needs to know how the new boys will fit into the squad. But apparently there were a lot of changes for Tuesday's Wigan game from the 4-1 thrashing of Ipswich last Saturday, including a formation with only one striker. Uh, how were we supposed to score? :confused:

There are certainly times when you need to be a little more adventurous, more attacking-minded. I know Meggo is a somewhat conservative manager, but we can't always win with a "bunker ball" mentality. In a far more competitive First Division than the one from which WBA won promotion in 01-02, sometimes we need to take risks.

Like having two strikers up front Gary. :eek:

2. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
    I don't like knocking Megson but I agree.

IMHO, we've got the players to potentially win this division and teams should be more worried about playing us than vice versa. We should be forcing our game on the opposition rather than trying to tailor ourselves to suit them.

I still think we'll go up though, a maybe the 'horses for courses' approach would be suited in the top flight.

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Megson apparently has seen the light...

From the Evening Mail...

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...-Megson-settles-on-new-tactics-name_page.html