Alan Sonora rocking you at CA Huracan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Now that his older brother Joel has moved to Stuttgart, I figured it was time for Alan to have his own thread. He's a '98 and the son of Diego Sonora, an Argentine who played with Boca Juniors, Dallas Burn, MetroStars and DC United.

From Marca:

In addition to Joel, Diego’s youngest son, Alan, is also a footballer and Boca youth team player. Alan’s role is that of playmaker and he already shows a lot of promise. "Alan has very high expectations. We’re waiting to see if the U.S. will call him, but I’m convinced that if they do Alan would go now," stressed Soñora.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/estados-unidos/2016/01/27/56a8f1e822601df8568b4593.html

Gacm32, hokeydokey and BostonRed repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 BostonRed, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    OWTY has learned that Joel’s younger brother Alan Sonora (’98), would be open to a call into US youth squads. It is reported early in 2013, when Joel accepted the US call, that younger brother Alan was unsure of donning the red, white and blue.

Alan told OWTY over email that if the US U17 coach Richie Williams were to call him into a camp that he would accept. This could be quite the coup for Williams who already has a solid relationship with the Sonoras.

Alan, like older brother Joel, wears the #10 for the Boca Juniors U17 squad. Alan is a tremendously creative player for his side and enjoys dictating the pace of the game.

http://owhentheyanks.com/2014/08/11/boca-juniors-american-10s/

Namdynamo and Scotty repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From O When The Yanks, last month:

OWTY has spoken with Alan a number of times who maintains his willingness to accept a call in to the US program if invited. Accounts of Alan’s play with Boca Youth have been difficult to obtain but sources have told OWTY Alan is as polished as brother Joel was at the same point in his development. Surely one to monitor.

http://owhentheyanks.com/2016/01/15/who-you-gonna-call/

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The Boca Juniors website lists Alan as belonging to their youth team labeled as "6th division", which appears to be at least three levels below the first team (I believe there's also a reserve team in there too):

http://www.bocajuniors.com.ar/futbol/noticias-futbol-6ta

His father Diego is part of the team's staff as the Coordinador adjunto and appears in the team photo.

7. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Unless I'm mistaken (quite likely) he just trained with the first team:

704350988711415808 is not a valid tweet id

Twitter translator: That beautiful experience training with the first!

Gacm32, Tom Collingsworth and Scotty repped this.
  8. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tweeted him and asked if he would like to play for the US, and his response was "if the US calls me I would have no problem going"

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Out of curiosity, was your exchange in English or Spanish?

10. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spanish

704420875148390401 is not a valid tweet id

Chesco United and Scotty repped this.
  11. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in Spanish, i was tempted to ask how good is his english but i didnt want to bother him.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Appears to be the number 10 for his age group at Boca:

707745041301839872 is not a valid tweet id

668493962878021632 is not a valid tweet id

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Tom Collingsworth, wixson7 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    A blog article (in Spanish) on Alan:

"Siguiendo sus pasos" Alan Soñora

Not too much to it but here are the main points: born on August 3, 1998 in New York; father was a Boca player and gives him good advice; dream is to play for the Boca 1st team one day but would consider offers from abroad; idols are Iniesta and Riquelme.

hokeydokey and Winoman repped this.
  16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    A little dated (and weak on info) but just to juice the thread a bit...

On the 6th of August, Alan played (subbed in) in the "Sábado Superclásico" tournament pitting all the academy sides of Boca Juniors against River.

His team, in the 5th Division (U18), lost 0-1. This seems to be the same division he played in last year but I really don't know when the Juveniles start their new season.

Overall, Boca's academy sides won two, tied one, and lost three.

Might that be him s

[​IMG]

http://www.bocajuniors.com.ar/futbol/river-superc-inf

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Started for the 5th Division side (U18) in their 2-0 defeat of Arsenal de Sarandí on 24 Aug. This defeat places them second in their table. Tomorrow they play at Atlético Rafaela.

[​IMG]

18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I haven't seen him on a squad list since 10 September when he was subbed in in a loss to Vélez. Has anyone heard anything?

19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Update. On the bench for a 0 - 2 win over Argentinos. I haven't seen him start since 24 Aug. One would hope his Dad Chiche, the club's youth director, is telling him what he needs to do to succeed.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Alan's Juvenile Fifth Division side won the championship earlier this month without much serious opposition. Alan spent most of the season on the bench. Take from that what you will but his side seems particularly hard to break into (they have a kid named Kevin Mergen that I wish was a yank - top, top prospect) and credit his Dad for not pressuring the coach to play him more if he hasn't earned it. Alan still has a year to make good at the youth level before decision time.

Tom Collingsworth, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Does this mean "fourth-division team" or "fourth team," so to speak? (Or something else?)

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    4th, 5th and 6th are considered "youth", 7th, 8th and 9th something like "kids." All he did was age out of Quinta. There is a fourth division in Argentina but it is totally different and more of an amateur or semi-pro adult division.

Dave Marino-Nachison and Winoman repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So I guess this is equivalent to his being on a club's U19s/A-Jugend/top academy team/etc. Seems perfectly appropriate for a guy his age, but he's going to age out of this soon and we'll need to see where it leads.

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Exactly.