Alan Rothenberg inducted into National Soccer Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TimB4Last, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Brief soccer history lesson included ...

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6736375

Alan Rothenberg marked his 40th year of soccer involvement with his induction this weekend into the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Rothenberg, 68, labored in administrative obscurity for much of his career.

Yet without him it's unlikely there would have been a 1994 U.S. World Cup and by extension no MLS.

That's a startling legacy for someone who never kicked a soccer ball in a competitive game and until 1967 had never even seen one played. That year marked the beginning of soccer's evolution in the U.S.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    More history ... and a peak into the future.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20070831&content_id=114804&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Rothenberg connected the dots of U.S. Soccer history. He was the vice president of the Los Angeles Wolves back in 1967 and president of the Los Angeles Aztecs back in 1978.

"A lot of people say the North American Soccer League was a failure," he said, noting the critics were wrong. The North American Soccer League helped crowds at the 1984 Olympics -- which Rothenberg was in charge of the soccer competition. The huge turnout for the Olympic tournament helped FIFA decide to award the 1994 World Cup to the United States in 1988. That, in turn, helped pave the way for MLS.

OK, so how well will this new generation run things in the United States? Rothenberg was asked, in an ideal future, what 20 years from now would look like for soccer in the USA.

"Ideally, we have outgrown the soccer-specific stadiums and we will add to them or have 40,000-seat stadiums instead of 20,000-25,000," he said. "Major League Soccer is clearly established. And I will get myself into trouble with my friends from the National Hockey League, but moving to fourth from fifth about established leagues. The U.S. men's national team will be quadrennially among the favorites going into the World Cup."

Rothenberg then spoke about Project 2010, a 1999 report from U.S. Soccer, authored by former MetroStars and current Manchester United assistant coach Carlos Queiroz on the state of soccer today and where it would or should be in 2010.

"I was misunderstood when we created Project 2010," he said. "Everybody said we were predicting that we would win the World Cup in 2010. We were very careful to say, even going into a World Cup, even Brazil can can't be that confident that they can produce a victory in any World Cup. All our goal was to be in a position where we would be at least a contender. We still have a ways to go obviously for 2010. We may have fallen off a little bit on that."

I've quoted liberally, but there's a lot more - read in full.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can't resist ...

"Indeed. In fact, when Rothenberg's second four-year term as U.S. Soccer president was up in 1998, many soccer observers wanted him to run for a third term. But he couldn't, because of term limits."

Perhaps term limits aren't such a terrible idea, after all. :cool: