Alan Hansen

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by markdickson, Jun 26, 2004.

1. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    "as my daughter rightly say's - my English side is my better side!"

What a tw*t!

2. Bobbybhoy

Bobbybhoy New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    she's not right in the heed

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I agree with her, I personally dont want Alan Hansen anywhere near this side of the border myself.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Someone please enlighten me why Alan Hansen is a complete tosser???

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    He's a 'Scottish' pundit who constantly acts like an Englishman and feres to England as "we".

And that little quote at the top is bad enough.

For me, it's pretty unforgivable.

6. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Nice to see that we Americans don't have a complete monopoly on idiotic, sycophantic commentators. Does he confine himself to sport or is he an all-around ass?

7. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Alan Hansen is a hand job, he is a resident pundit, who is way too biased over Liverpool and Michael Owen. IMO he shouldn't be on MOTD at all he's a Bell, i think to be on there you have to have played football within the last 5 years, because the game has changed a lot since Alan Hansen was playing.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd disagree. They very fact that he's completely out of the picture means he can say what he thinks rather than sitting on the fence because he doesn't want to upset some of his old mates. He's one of the few pundits actually worth listening to.

It is odd hearing saying "we" about England though. First time he did it I thought I'd mis-heard.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Considering the crap we have to put up with in the states, its so nice to listen to a commentator who's intelligent and willing to take players to task.
    I can understand you don't like him for pretending he's English, but as a commentator, I think he's great.

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just pisses me off that him or Mark Lawrenson never have the guts to say when Michael Owen plays sh1t they'll pick problems with others but never Owen for some weird reason and if they do they make a ghey excuse

11. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I actually think he's an alright pundit. He knows the game and can talk intelligently about tactics and things without descending into the cliches that Ian Wright and those losers at ITV rely on.

In saying that, he's no Gordon Strachan. The best pundit around and a true Scotsman.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    If were talking poor punditry i point the finger to Ian Wright and John Barnes, these two could make a pair of deaf mutes seem competent.

13. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Before all the England games with France, Switzerland, Croatia & Portugal, Ian Wright kept saying “I fancy Owen to score”, then at half-time in the Portugal game, he’s like “what did I tell you? Michael’s to man!” ;)

14. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    Hansen famously said in 1995, "You can't win the title with kids!" in reference to the young Manure side. Then, at the end of that season, they did the Double.

15. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Gary Linekar: "Tou have to give the Portugese some credit, don't you?"

Ian Wright: "Nah, you don't!"

What a tit. he was almost crying when France won and then again when Portugal won.

16. Mackannovic

Mackannovic New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Trust me it's the same with Mark Lawrenson and Ireland. I watched Football Focus last Saturday and all the way through the programme and the tournament he refers to England as "We" but then when Garth Crookes, Terry Butcher and Ray Stubbs talk about how dissapointing England were he turns around and says "Fortunately for me I can step out of this one cos I'm Irish". What a tosser should've made him choke on that rat he had glued to his face!

17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mark Lawrenson is English. He was born in Preston, grew up there, joined them from school, and spent his whole life in England. He qualified for Ireland through his parents.

18. Mackannovic

Mackannovic New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Agreed, but what if John Barnes turns around and starts sayin he's Jamaican and he has nothing to do with England when they start doing bad or Owen Hargreaves? He's Irish, he was good enough to play for England and he didn't, he chose Ireland and he should stick to his loyalties instead of being an Irishman when it suits him.

19. Burkies Ginger Mop

Burkies Ginger Mop New Member

May 20, 2004
    London
    I don’t think I’ve ever hated a pundit more than I hate Ian Wright.

20. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    About Mark Lawrenson - he did choose Ricardo's penalty against England as his "moment of the tournament", so he can’t be such a big England fan! ;)

BTW, did anybody else see Hansen's reaction in the studio when Lampard scored against Portugal?

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ian Wright is the most useless pundit in the history of TV punditry. There are several reasons why he gets on air, and none are to do with anything remotely relating to analysis.

22. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was good enough to play for England by the time he was at Liverpool, but probably wasn't when Ireland first called him up as a teenager playing for Preston in the old second division. Not many would turn down the chance.

I'd have no problem with John Barnes getting excited and saying "we" with reference to Jamaica. I've got more problems with Owen Hargreaves claiming to be English.

23. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Quote in today's Daily Record - Ian Wright on Portugal's Pauleta: "tha fing is, e's their best shooter!"

24. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yeah, then he struggled for about 5 mins with the word shooter and shoter.

What a loser.

25. Gazza # 8

Gazza # 8 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Robbie Earle is a dick.