Alan Dershowitz blames the UN for terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ludahai, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0803/dershowitz_2003_08_28.php3

Wow!!! I actually agree with Dershowitz for once.

Perhaps the Dalai Lama should raise the battle cry? And to imagine that Yasser Arafat for the Nobel Peace Prize. Travesty!

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, he was a decent choice, considering that the other two finalists were Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden. :D

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: Alan Dershowitz blames the UN for terrorism

You know, considering the recognition that the Palestinians have gotten by the UN and not the Tibetans, perhaps peaceful resistance is overrated. Perhaps the UN is not for the Gandhi's of the world.

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Alan Dershowitz blames the UN for terrorism

Nah.

The UN just does it in order not to piss off any of the major players.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Why should we listen to crazy nuts such as Alan Dershowitz?

6. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Normally, I would agree with you. However, if you read the piece, he actually makes a pretty good point.

7. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Have Alan Dershowitz live in West Bank with ordinary Palestines for six months, then come back to talk. Hopefully he is still alive despite Israelis air-ground missiles.

8. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Perhaps if the terrorist bombings would cease, the Israeli actions in self-defense would too. The Israeli's have been far more tolerant than the Chinese. If the Israeli's were Chinese, Arafat would have been thrown out or killed long ago.

9. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I think it will work in the opposite way - Israelis stop their "self-defense" first. I believe the current blood sheds were started by the Israelis' target killing dated back several months ago.

10. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I seem to remember the target killing began after the terrorist attacks resumed over the summer.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Likewise I recall the current intifadah starting after peace talks failed and Arafat listened to the pro-terrorist forces in his govt. (although you may remember the garbage about Sharon visiting the Temple Mount as the cause). Choose peace and negotiation or choose terrorism and continual reprisals and periodic SS kickings by Israel. The choice is pretty clear for Arafat.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    He'd be murdered for being Jewish before the first 24 hours were up.

13. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    In other words, Alan Dershowitz was just trolling. He is not qualified to comment on the conflict.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    By that logic, Martin Luther King Jr. wasn't qualified to comment on Jim Crow.

15. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Alex, Israel has been described as the top threat to world peace, ahead of North Korea, Afghanistan and Iran in a poll.

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
  17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nothing more than an EU pole which shows the EU members are interested in supporting terror and oppression rather than democracy. OF course you can't tell the difference between which.

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That pretty much proves Dershowitz's point to the nth degree.

19. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Kent Brockman]Now this media poll isn't legally binding, unless Proposition 395 passes, and we all pray that it will...[/Kent Brockman]

Actually, I find it interesting that no one can really point to the beginning of this present intifada with any precision. It demonstrates the rather complicated nature of this conflict, as well as the senselessness of it. I'm not sure either side knows why they are firing volleys at eachother anymore, they're just doing it out of reaction. One strike leads to another. Both leaders (Arafat and Sharon) are to blame for that.

20. Makno

Makno New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Mie
    Dershowitz says

"That group is the one that invented and perfected modern international terrorism ¡X namely, the Palestinians. "

But I thought Begin's bombing of the King David Hotel was generally considered the invention of modern international terrorism.

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    The problem is, Alan is a lawyer, not a historian. The quote in the original post of this thread by him shows the color of trolling, intentionally or otherwise.

22. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I hate it when Alan is right, though it doesn't happen often. You hate it too because it goes against your sacred cows. Face it.

23. Dan

Dan New Member

That's not true at all. After years of no terror attacks, on September 27, 2000, David Biri was killed in a bombing in Gaza. There's your start of the intifada. Next day Sharon visited the Temple Mount, massive riots, and it took off from there (but, as people always forget, the first bombing was the day before). Ever since, there have been attacks on Israelis nearly every day.

So before September 27, 2000, there were no attacks. Afterwards, there have been attacks nearly every day.

If that's not a precise start to the conflict, I don't know what you're looking for...

(By the way, even if you object to the use of force against Israeli troops being described as "terror", this September 27 date still remains the start of hostilities)