Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Speaking of Jets... It didn't take too long, but I am a little annoyed with the Streaks program right now. For some unclaimed reason, they split the U10 team for our tournament. One team got every rising U11 player, the other team (ours) got every 7 & 8 year old, with just 2 rising U10 players. Of course, our little team got pasted. You cannot expect a 7 or 8 year old to hold against boys at least a head taller. Is this a common practice of splitting teams? Is it common to split them unevenly (unclaimed)? Any thoughts MD 20/20?

2. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    What was the tournament format? I have seen instances where because of the flights it made some developmental sense to re-arrange rosters to match the competitive level of the other teams (e.g. play the older kids in U10, play the younger kids in U9) but that doesn't sound like what you're describing. In my experience it's not a common practice at all to split or rearrange teams that have been together all year and then make them face off head to head.

3. BERTHOLD

BERTHOLD Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Match Day Notice: Alabama Select Team

Match Day Notice: Division II Amateur Team from Germany visits Birmingham

Come watch the newly selected Alabama Select Team match up against German Division II Amateur Team (20-25 year olds): Spvgg WE (Spielvereinigung Wart-Ebershardt) from the Black Forest region of Baden-Wuerttemberg at the UAB Soccer Fields on Thursday, May 19, at 6:30 p.m.

This match is just one of a couple matches scheduled in Birmingham in preparation for the Adult Regional Select Cup to be held next month on June 11th and 12th at John Hunt Park in Huntsville, Alabama.

For more information on the Alabama Select Team, contact Head Coach, Mike Remus, at mike.remus@knology.net or 256-520-8517 (cell).

You can also catch up-to-date information at the Huntsville Adult Soccer League website at http://www.hasl.org/

DWS
    Alabama Select Team Supporter

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Match Day Notice: Alabama Select Team

thanks for the heads up.

5. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    The tournament was based on points, and the teams did have to play each other. It looked like to me that all of the younger kids were put on one team to strengthen the other. It worked because that team won the tournament. It just rubbed me wrong to sacrifice half of the same team for the other half. Our group was out aged, out sized, and out numbered, with having to play games a man down because there were not enough players to put a full squad on the pitch. The team was not split until this tournament. If they had just left it alone, then the full squad would have likely won the championship, instead of just half. I spoke my feelings to the new head of the program. Am I out of line being angry?

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Isn't Michael Ritch the new DOC?

7. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Yes he is and caught my ire. He says he had nothing to do with the split and assured me that "it", the program, would run better. His first day on the job was today. I guess I need to give it a chance, but if I do not see improvement and my son wishes to play competetivly, I will drive him to Hoover or somewhere in metro B'ham. Does any team need a 10 year old who can run a mile in 6:30 and also plays goal? Seriously, I will give Michael a chance to get control and make his mark on the program, but the disorganization for the last few years has got to stop.

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    how old is Ritch? Seems youngish to be the DOC of a program like the Streaks. What kind of coaching licenses does he have?

9. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Michael is in his mid-20's. He is young, but the kids love him. My son adores him. He also coaches the kids very well by telling them not just what they did wrong but how do to it better. He has a "D" license. The only "A" licensed coach has left the program and will coach the Hoover girl U 13 and older teams.

10. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. Was it Capital City's tournament, or someone else's?

And you describe the team as being out-aged and out-sized, but at this age the question should be were they out-skilled? Maybe the split was done to get all the skilled players on one team and the kids who are getting by on their size and speed on the other. At U9/U10 big fast kids will still dominate small skilled kids. When they get to U12 and U13 that advantage disappears (if you have enough skilled kids to knock the ball around).

Here's the thing: I know it sucks to lose, but even in losing when physically out-manned you can sometimes see your team plays better soccer. For example: my son's team (the U14 Jets 91) are trying to get ready to go to regionals in June and have played two tournaments up in U15 to try and simulate what's going to happen when they play the North Texas and North Carolina teams and others who are undoubtedly going to be bigger and faster. They finished second in both, losing not because they were a lesser team, but because they were too effing short. In those games, which they lost each of 4-2, only one of the 8 goals allowed was from the run of play. The other seven were 1 penalty, three long throw-ins headed in by kids 6 inches taller than our players (not even Joe Webb throws as far as these kids did), and three corners headed in in the same manner.

If my first player (the aforementioned 91) at that age had had the same experience as you described I would have been mad too, so it's understandable. I guess I'm mellowing (or maybe the proper term is "beaten down"). I would try to give the person who made the decision the benefit of the doubt. There's no long term benefit to anyone to stack a team to win a U10 tournament. All that leads to is unrealistic expectations and angry parents down the line, and I can't imagine any responsible soccer professional would do that.

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Not that licensing is everything but seems odd to hire someone as a DOC with only a 'D' license. I was an ok coach before getting a license but much better afterwards.

12. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    It was the CC Tournament. The team my son was on had kids who were good dribblers and very fast, but they did not play as a team. Very few runs by players w/o the ball in support were made. On defense, the younger kids were intimidated and backed away instead of challanging, leaving the GK hung out. It was a frustrating weekend.

13. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    I agree that it certainly looks better. He is working hard toward higher licenses.

14. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Hang in there. Although I have to warn you, the 91's are just getting to the point where they will consistently make runs without the ball, and they are arguably the best U14 team in the state. Tactical play doesn't come easily, but it comes more easily when the kids have ball mastery and speed.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *****BULLETIN*******

I interrupt this valid and interesting discussion to tell you that we'll need to start a new thread around post 1,500. The supermods are asking people with long personal forum threads to create new versions of the threads so as to ease the wear and tear on the servers.

Thank you for your support.

*******BULLETIN OVER***********

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Canada's roster for U20s vs US tonight includes one of UAB's new signings.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

UAB signee in Canada's U20 WYC squad.

18. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    next week i'm gonna volunteer at the Auburn Plainsman, the university newspaper. They usually give really crappy stories to the volunteers, unless they come up with something themselves. So does anybody know something I can write about soccer in Alabama? Any Alabamians looking promising or going to the pros???

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    write a story on why the SEC has no men's soccer. One of the biggest conferences in the country and no men's soccer.

20. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    wow. i thought it was just Auburn. Is that a title 9 thing?

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm sure it probably is. Vanderbilt, South Carolina & Kentucky are the only schools that have men's teams.

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Soccer Fans - The Game of Their Lives will open tonight at the Madison Square 12 Theater at 5905 University Drive in Huntsville. It will be a limited engagement.

Decatur Sports,

My name is Jason Lemire with Bristol Bay Productions writing with exciting news for the North Alabama soccer community. THIS WEEKEND, America's soccer movie, THE GAME OF THEIR LIVES is coming to Huntsville at the Madison Square Stadium 12 and it is up to us in the soccer community to spread the word.

From the creators of such sports classics as HOOSIERS and RUDY, THE GAME OF THEIR LIVES is based on the true story of the 1950 US World Cup Team and their incredible victory over England, which still stands as the greatest upset in the history of world soccer.

The theater phone number is 256-830-6829 and the currently listed show times (subject to change) are 12:10PM, 2:30PM, 4:50PM, 7:20PM, 9:50PM. The film will be in theaters June 3rd for a LIMITED engagement, and will only be in theaters as long as people come out to support the film.

Rarely has our sport had a film that so perfectly captures the love of the game so many of us share.

The film is rated PG, boasts an all-star cast, features cameos from your favorite MLS All Stars (like Freddy Adu), and was awarded the Truly Moving Picture Award from the Heartland Film Festival which recognizes family and values-friendly films. To see the trailer and learn more you can visit
    www.gameoftheirlivesmovie.com

If you are interested in getting FREE MOVIE POSTERS for your district or club (perfect for tryouts!), or would like a copy of our email blast please feel free to contact me at worldcup1950@hotmail.com or at 310-859-3093.

I have also attached a flyer to this email you are free to print, copy and distribute at your tryouts.

We thank you for your time and support and hope you will share in this incredible moment in American soccer history.

All the best,

Jason Lemire

23. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Excellent suggestion. To compare and contrast, these conferences DO have men's soccer:

ACC
    Conference USA
    Big 10
    Pac-10
    Big East

to name a few. Why is that, I wonder? It's not like they don't all also have football...

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    as far as I know those conferences also have women's soccer.

25. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    soccer's gotta be the biggest (i dunno how to put this) minority sport in the south. here in AU, besides the men's team (which gets no university recognition), they have something like 500 slots available for intramural teams, and they fill up with a quickness. there's also a few men's and women's league teams around town. and yet you have to go online to buy a decent soccerball. they just have no idea, IMO.