Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, here's the tuesday night gathering info....

MELLOW MUSHROOM
    1200 20TH STREET SOUTH

(205) 933-5061

TUESDAY, MARCH 29 - 7:00 P.M.

Since it's a night game on Wednesday, we figured the "formal" meet up should take place on Tuesday. I've noticed the night before gatherings have worked better at the matches I've travelled to. Birmingham's downtown is pretty much laid out on a numerical grid, so Mellow Mushroom is easy to find. It's on the corner of 20th Street South and 12th Avenue. Super easy to find. There's parking behind the building, but it often fills up, but probably not on a Tuesday night. Be prepared to possibly pay $5 or so for parking because parking can be tight down there, but once again, it probably won't be necessary on a Tuesday.

We opted for choosing a pizza place that has a bar in it. There is both an indoor and outdoor section, pizzas (both regular and more off the beaten path types of pizza), sandwiches, etc. This way people can drink if they want to, but it won't keep out the under 21 crowd either. Since it's a spring break week for many, we figured it'd be best to choose somewhere as inclusive as possible age-wise.

Mellow Mushroom is right in the heart of Five Points and there's a bunch of other bars, restaurants, pool halls and clubs in the area too for people that might want to diversify where they imbibe.

Bars in Birmingham don't have to close by any particular hour. How late they stay opened is determined by the individual bar, so if you want to stay out 'til 6AM, you have multiple options. Somewhere will be open. The super late night places are Bailey's, Marty's, The Nick, etc. Just ask around, somebody will point you somewhere that stays open super late if that's your thing.

One last note, Five Points South is generally a very safe area and it's near a police precint. I grew up in Birmingham and have spent a thousand nights down there without incident or having ever witnessed an incident. However, most of the crime occurs when people take shortcuts by cutting through alleys. I know that sounds like common sense not to do that, but I just want to remind people. Cutting through alleys is just about the only place I've heard of crimes being committed down there.

2. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Guatemala Training

Guatemala will be training at Indian Springs School at 4:00 today (Monday)

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Guatemala Training

damn. too bad I have my own practice to run.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Guatemala Training

You could take your kids out to heckle them. Give them a good soccer experience. :D

5. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Meeting up before the game

I wish I could meet up with y'all at the Mellow Mushroom Tuessday, but work and soccer practice prevents it. However, I was hoping to get to the stadium around 4:00. I would like to meet up with you and introduce my son. Is there a meeting spot and time? Also, is there any chance of my son getting autographs (and me too)?

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Meeting up before the game

I don't give autographs. :D

7. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham

Guatemala's plane was delayed coming in on Monday. They will be practicing instead sometime today (Tuesday) at Springs.

8. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham

What is this meet up? Is the national team going to be there?

9. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

Gosh, I really hate that they had travel problems.

Not.

Perhaps they will have trouble sleeping tonight. That would be most unfortunate.

10. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama

Well you should, winning the trebble and such.

11. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Merritt Mathias called into U16 camp

Merritt Mathias, a member of the American Lady Jets 89 U16 Alabama state champions, and a freshman at Oak Mountain High School, was invited to attend the April 16-23 US Women's U16 National Team camp in Chula Vista, CA.

This was released by AYSA today:

ALABAMA ODP PLAYER MERRITT MATHIAS GETS CALLED TO THE USA U16 NATIONAL CAMP

Merritt Mathias, a 1990 Alabama ODP player, was invited to compete with the Regional ODP team at the Huntsville event which included ten 1989 players and only six 1990 players. The Regional ODP team played games against Vanderbilt, Auburn, and the University of Memphis finishing with 2 wins and 1 tie. Merritt performed brilliantly as a forward for the region finishing with 2 goals and 1 assist over the course of the 3 games. Based on Merritt's performance at the Regional ODP level, she has been invited to the Under 16 USA National training camp, April 16th – 23rd in Chula Vista, CA. Congratulations goes out to Merritt as we wish her the best on her efforts at the National Team level!

“Merritt has not only made a real commitment to improve her game at the higher level, she has also been making tough decisions to put herself in the best environments to develop.” comments Scott Spencer, AYSA Director of Coaching. “That can be difficult, so it is exciting to see her hard work has given her a great accomplishment and opportunity. She has a very bright future in this game!”

12. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Re: Merritt Mathias called into U16 camp

MD 20/20,
    You mentioned in the past that Merritt has a tremendous work ethic. Obviously, this ethic and her talent paid off. I'm sure that your league members are very proud.

13. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

She works her butt off, every day. There's absolutely no doubt who is responsible for her success - she is, along with her family and the support they provide. In the club, we are glad that her efforts are being recognized, and we are happy that we have been able to help in some small measure along the way.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

that is great!

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Bill Dworsky gets a mention on TDS

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  20. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Hoover Havoc

My son's U10 team is participating in the tournament this weekend. Anyone attending?

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some teams have played almost 20 games and Ft. Payne's girls have only played 11? :confused:

23. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham
    We lost to Briarwood 2-0 and Oak Mountain 3-0 in the past week. We are still #1 for the seventh week in a row though.

If any of you haven't seen Oak Mountain play this year you should try and catch one of their games. They are easily the best high school team that I have ever seen.

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    At some point, I'll go through this entire thread, but for now it's good to see that there's a lot of talk about soccer in Alabama. I try to keep up with how my old high school is doing (Prattville) and thanks to you guys I know that they're doing pretty good. Don't suppose there's anyone here from P'ville or that go to their games that could give me match reports?

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I think Homewood plays them Sat morning in the Metro. May try to go.