Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Re: Mayoral Motivation

When is the game again?

2. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    March 12

3. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Figures. I'm at a coaching clinic that weekend. You are right though, awfully short notice.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Homewood High School wins the Montgomery Invitational for both boys and girls. Read about it in the Montgomery Advertiser.

Congrats to coach pvan4. :)

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    thanks bro.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Hey, I gotta couple of tix to the nat's game in B-ham. 22nd row, one section off midfield, IIRC. Any interested parties, email me at m_macton@hotmail.com
    Can't go. Stupid Army.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  11. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids in town

You already know that the Colorado Rapids are doing some spring training there in B'ham, but you may not know their training schedule. Here it is in case you feel like checking them out:

RAPIDS Training Schedule for Week of March 08, 2005

Tuesday, March 8 ***Travel day to Birmingham, Alabama***
    -5:00 p.m. Training at Riverchase Soccer Complex.

Wednesday, March 9 -5:00 p.m. Training in Birmingham at Hoover High School

Thursday, March 10 -5:00 p.m. Training in Birmingham at Soccer Blast Complex

Friday, March 11 -10:00 a.m. Training in Birmingham at Soccer Blast Complex
    - 7:30 p.m. GAME Rapids Reserves vs. UAB at UAB Soccer Complex

Saturday, March 12- 6:30 p.m.(MT) GAME vs. Chicago Fire at Hoover HS Stadium

Sunday, March 13 -10:00 a.m. Training in Birmingham
    ***Travel Day to Denver***

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Rapids in town

Hopefully the weather's better in B'ham than in Orlando right now. It's been raining for two days straight here.

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    anybody know the score of the UAB-Rapids game?

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just sent the following letter to the editor of the Birmingham News:

Solomon Crenshaw's article about the Colorado Rapids vs. Chicago Fire soccer game insinuates that members of the United States National Team aren't professionals. Every player on the men's national team is a professional. They play in various pro leagues in many countries around the world: USA, England, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, etc.

As a matter of fact, some players on the Rapids and Fire are currently on the US National Team (Pablo Mastroeni for example.) Long gone are the days when the US National Team was filled with collegiate, amateur atheletes. These men finished in the top 8 of the last World Cup, the world's largest single sport event. There's no way collegiate atheletes could achieve that. This team isn't the Olympic team, which is comprised of amateurs and professionals under 23 years of age.

It's high time these professional atheletes that represent our country in the world's most popular sport are recognized for the sporting contributions. This is not a team of million dollar babies. While some of them are indeed quite wealthy, many of them earn salaries no larger than that of your neighbors. This is a sport where most play for the love of the game. There are no drug cases, pending rape trials, or spouse abusers amongst these men. They all have clean records, something hardly any professional team can boast. If people want their children to be able to look up to a group of atheletes, I can't think of a better bunch. This is particularly pertinent given that the US team is coming to Birmingham March 30th in a game that helps determine if they make the World Cup in 2006.

I sent it in reference to this article:

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1110622625107950.xml?birminghamnews?nmet

and particularly this part:

Dozens of youth soccer players from the Hoover Soccer Club gathered at a field Tuesday night to seek autographs.

This time, though, the targets weren't the U.S. national team men or women who have played in Birmingham on occasion in recent years.

The featured players were professionals - members of Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids, who will play a preseason game at 7:30 tonight against an MLS rival, the Chicago Fire, at Hoover High School.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I just read that and thought the exact same thing. On a side note, I still can't find a score for the UAB-Rapids game.

17. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I looked there last night but it hadn't been posted. Thanks.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who won the Fire v. Rapids game?

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody that lives in Birmingham try to find me one of these:

[​IMG]

It's the city flag of Birmingham. Who knew? Not me.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    0-0. It was one of the most boring games I've ever seen.

22. msfurnas

msfurnas New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Birmingham
    I think the field had a lot to do with it. The second half was a lot better because it seemed like the teams got used to it.

23. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    Does anybody know where I can find out when/if each MLS team is playing a friendly or anything else against a foreign team, especially one from england?? I know the MLS Allstar game is against Fulham, and I saw that DC played Nottingham Forest last season. I'd imagine we'll play more and more EPL teams as our own league gets bigger??

24. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    Does anyone know where to find out when/if each MLS teamis playing a friendly or anything else against a foreign team, especially one from England? I know the MLS Sll Star game is against Fulham, and I saw that DC playing Nottingham Forest last year. I'd imagine that more EPL teams will play ours as the league gets bigger???