Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. I get Galavision and Univision and the DirecTV sports pack with all the Fox Sports channels. Watching anything on Galavision or Univision, I am reminded of how little attention I paid during Spanish in high school and college. :(

I guess the solution would be to mute it and do my own commentary?

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ?

Hey Mac~

Did you play soccer in HS or college? If so where?

5. I played in high school for John Carroll. I regret not playing in college. I actually went to a college without a soccer team. I wish I had stayed with it.

On another note, I "coached" the little pre-soc kids at the YMCA when I was in high school. (At John Carroll, we were required to have 40 hours of community service in order to graduate.) One of my first kids to "coach" (how much can you do at that age?) just graduated from Birmingham Southern and I believe she was on their team. Scrappy little kid who had no fear at that young age of going up against the boys.

How about yourself?

Also, you mentioned Woodard earlier. Was he the Beamer guy? Always drove a BMW? Lived in Cahaba Valley Estates?

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I played and currently coach at Homewood HS. I tried out for UAB but didn't make it. Woodard did drive a BMW. When did you play at JC?

7. Played at John Carroll in the late 80s. Graduated in 1988. Had a doofus for a coach. The Blazers were actually helping with a YMCA clinic one year and my mom invited them to the house for dinner afterwards, so we got to be friends with the players my junior and senior years. It may have pissed off our coach (okay, I'm sure it did), but we had 3 or 4 of them come work with us at our JC practices.

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I graduated from Homewood in '90. Who was your coach?

9. I had to go look it up in the yearbook. He was also the speech teacher. :rolleyes: Petrof was his name. I think they basically asked who had heard of the word "soccer" and that person got the job. I can't remember who the guys coach was.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're out of town this weekend right pvan4? Perhaps I can get Ze Roberto or Gilberto to go with me as you know the little woman could give a care to watch exhibition college soccer!

13. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    A little off topic but, how about those Blazers B'ball team at the C-USA tourny! Not bad for a team in a sub-par year.

14. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    getting tix

A little back on topic.

Well, our odds of flying back to BHM for the match on the 17th (& City Stages) just got a lot better. I found out that my dad is planning to sell his house this summer---the house I went home to the day I was born! The house is in serious need of decrapifying before he moves, so I'll probably plan to be in town for a week to help him, oh, incinerate a lot of things my parents should have thrown out in the mid-70s.

I may have asked this before, I'm not sure how to get tickets to the game. It would be lot of fun for us BS people to sit together. Is there a way one of you locals could get us a couple of tickets if I sent you a check? Probably only need tix for Mr & Mrs Chilistrider, but maybe my dad and another friend who lives in town would be interested in coming.

And a propos of tailgating, maybe one of us should venture over to the Women's Soccer Fan Clubs board and see if any Beat fans are making the trek over for the game? The more the merrier.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: getting tix

Tickets are available via www.ticketmaster.com just enter legion field in the venue search and scroll down until you get to the game and that will tell you all about ticket prices. that'd be cool for all of us to sit together, i'm willing to work out whatever y'all want to do.

Good idea. I may be able to participate in limited before & after festivities that day. A friend of mine is getting married that day and I have to go to the cermony or to the wedding. Hopefully, it will be an afternoon or night wedding and I can do everything!

16. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay for my alma mater!

Go, Springs! I got this e-mail from ISS today:

The girls' soccer season has started well, featuring a record of 11 wins and 1 loss. The team, under the leadership of Coach Hunter Gray, is currently ranked number one in the state. The team will graduate 6 seniors this year, Julia Trechsel, Lauren Williams, Sara Kim, Leah Tharpe, Allison Duquette and Laura McLean. Lauren Williams '03 is a Bryant Jordan scholarship finalist.
    The boys' soccer team and Coach Rik Tozzi after having played which is largely regarded as the toughest schedule in the state (including multiple games against highly ranked 6A schools) boasts an 8 and 4 record and is ranked third in the state. The team's seniors are D.G. Pantazis, Sean Wilson, Vernon Chaplin, Phillip Cezayirli and Andrew Kallus.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Yay for my alma mater!

We play Springs on Tuesday. Should be a pretty good match. They beat us to the area title last year.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Maradona sporting UAB t-shirt

[​IMG]

apparently it was a gift from Getman when UAB went to Argentina for preseason a few years ago. Crazy! Go Blazers!

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Maradona sporting UAB t-shirt

That, is insane. I've posted it everywhere. Crazy...that's all I can say.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Re: Maradona sporting UAB t-shirt

where all have you posted it?

22. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great pic! Back to a few other items: 1) How did Springs do in that match a while back? 2) My travel plans had an unexpected change and I won't be in B'ham for the U.S. Women's match. BUMMER! On the plus side, though, I will get to spend a few days in a condo in Panama City. I don't think I've been to P.C. since the 70s!

And the reason I've been away from this board for so long is that I was on a trip to Moscow. I was so psyched about catching a derby while we were there, but the weather on match weekend was totally for s--t so we just watched a match on T.V. in the hotel room. Best souvenirs from the trip: Lokomotiv & Spartak jerseys!!

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know how springs did. pvan4 could best answer that one. Sucks that you won't be back here for the game :( I'm sure you'll find that PC has changed immensely since you last visit.

I want to go to Moscow! Everybody I know that's been has loved it. I thought I was going to go with a native at some point, but he ended up joining a monastary in Arizona!

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Springs won. They are the better team. Great souvenirs. I'd love to have something like that.

25. chilistrider

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose...

Subject line a poor attempt at making the following question vaguely soccer related: Did any of you guys feel the earthquake that happened in Ala. in the wee small hours?