Alabama Soccer Thread version 2.0

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Jun 15, 2005.

1. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Re: Regionals 2006

Well, one last post before I leave. We have returned from our 8:00 AM game, where we played really well, holding Dallas to 0-0 until the 67th minute before finally giving way and allowing 3 goals. (Two of them came off blatant handling, but I've given up on getting any calls at this tournament.) It proves once again that you can't get inside the head of a 15 year old - if the boys had come to play yesterday like they did today we might be advancing instead of going home.

Oh well, live and learn. They proved they belong on the field, now they have to prove they can win.

2. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

Updates from the weekend:

• The U18G Attack 88 Blue advanced from pool play to the quarterfinals, where they will face the Georgia state champions, PTC Lazers 88, today at 11:30.
    • The U14B Jets 92 Blue got a 3-2 win in their 3rd match against Tennessee. They had a great showing, losing only 1-0 to the North Texas state champions and 2-1 to Mississippi for a net goal differential of -1.
    • The U16B Streaks 90 managed a 1-1 draw in their final match with Arkansas but it wasn't enough to capitalize on their favorable draw and advance.
    • The U17B Steamers 89 and the U15B Jets 91 Blue proved once again that the laws of math do not apply to soccer: If U17B AL beats SC 3-1 and SC beats PL South 4-3, the commutative law would indicate that when AL played PL South they should have a +3 differential - but they lost 4-0; likewise if U15B NTX beats PL South 6-0 and PL South beats AL 4-0, NTX should expect a -10 differential over AL, but they only get -3.
    • The U18B Jets 88 Blue finished their career with a 1-1 draw with CASL Elite .

Next year's regionals are in Oklahoma City. It looks to be about a 12-13 hour drive. Oh joy.

Looking back over the last several years, we see the following pattern:

2000 Plano
    2001 Memphis
    2002 Little Rock
    2003 Greensboro
    2004 Austin
    2005 Plano
    2006 Little Rock
    2007 Oklahoma City

There are evidently not many venues in the eastern part of Region III that qualify to host the event. Some back of the napkin calculations (ok, I used Excel) show that the minimum economic impact of the event under the assumptions I chose is about $2.3M with $114K direct tax income:

• 23,500 hotel nights (not including staff, referees, etc), which at $75/night would be $1.76M of revenue, and assuming a 5% lodging tax would generate $88,000 in taxes
    • 52,500 meals (lunch and dinner), which at $10/meal would be $525,000 revenue and $26,000 in sales tax at 5%

Obviously this leaves out the other things like Wal-Mart trips and gas (and let's not forget the bar tabs) which also generate revenue and taxes.

If we had a quality 16 field complex, we could have this event every fourth or fifth year if history is a guide.

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I started an EPL pick 'em game. All you do is pick win or draw. You must save your picks after you make them or you will not accrue points. Here is the link:

http://epl.pickdee.com/Alabama-Premier-League/

the game is public so feel free to pass it on to others.

4. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

I'm in.

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

congrats to Joel Nash of the Briarwood SC for getting picked for the US U15 boys NT camp that starts today.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281204.html

6. rumbum

rumbum New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Celtic partners with Hoover?

Any thoughts on this recent news? Is there likely to be any real impact other than cool new hooped kits for the Hoover competitive clubs?

Can a Rangers association with some other local club and sectarian violence be far behind?

Just kidding on the last bit...

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Celtic partners with Hoover?

I haven't heard anything about this.

Have a link?

8. rumbum

rumbum New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
  9. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

I wonder if anyone noticed that 'hoover' is a British English colloquialism meaning 'to vacuum', as in "I can't play football today, I have to hoover the living room."

Not that there's anything to that, I just have a memory of walking into a Scottish B&B many years ago and the proprietress mentioning that she had 'just finished hoovering the parlor'. That was a great place, but it had one of those mounted-on-the-wall hot water/shower things because there was no hot water heater in the home (it having been built in the 1700s or so).

10. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    I'm upgrading my Alabama Resident credentials this year. My eldest son (the one that doesn't play soccer) is now a freshman member of the Million Dollar Band.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats. I will be seeing them in action a lot this season! :)

12. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly

Should have mentioned - this place was about 5 miles from Doune Castle, where a lot of the exteriors and interiors for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" were shot. We visited - it was quite the experience. This all took place in what I refer to as the "B.C. era" (before children). Played golf at the Old Course that trip too.

Golf - that's a pastime from the "B.S. era" (before soccer).

13. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    Not soccer, but are you going tothe Hawaii game?

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed. The only game I plan on missing is the Louisiana-Monroe game.

15. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    I am forsaking two state league games and the Memphis game at Legion Field to go watch my son in the band at the Bama-Duke game.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I think that is acceptable. If it happens again I'll have to report you to the President of BUSA. ;)

17. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
  18. MD20/20

MD20/20 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Hampton Inn, mostly
    Jets 91 Blue will finish either first, second, or third in Region III Premier League Central (AL, AR, MS, LA, TN), depending on the outcome of the Knoxville FC vs Smoky Mountain Soccer Club game and the Smoky Mountain vs Gulf Coast United game. Not bad. They finished W5 D3 L1, with their only loss coming to Smoky Mountain SC 3-2 in their last match.

19. McTide

McTide New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pine Level Alabama
    I have to brag

Congratulations to James McNeill (my son) for being selected to the '94 OPD pool. He tried out a year early but showed excellent skill, awareness, effort, and attitude that weekend. Yes, I am very proud of him.

20. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats! You have the right to brag :D

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    congrats to the BUSA Angels 90 for winning their bracket in the Disney Showcase. Katy Frierson from that same team stayed behind in Orlando for the US U17 WNT camp. Good news all around!

22. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UAB's Jerson Monteiro is at the Combine this week. What can you tell me about him?

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    very fast, not the greatest touch. has a pretty good eye for goal. doubt he'll make it in MLS. maybe A-League.

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    this is from Buzz aka 3rd degree:

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pvan4,

Do you have a date on that USA vs. Mexico U-17 game in Birmingham?