Alabama Judge Removed From Office

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chizzy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is, I heard on NPR yesterday that there is no provision in Alabama law to prevent him from running for that position again in the next elections. The ruling may serve to keep him off the bench for the next couple of years, but depending on the opinions and votes of the people of Alabama, he could run again, win, and we'd be right back to square 1 with this issue.

3. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    there is a pretty good chance that he'll become governor. which is why he did this, he's all about self promotion.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unless he's also disbarred. And the Alabama Bar Association will have to decide on that once they have received the petition for his disbarring.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. The disbarring wasn't mentioned yesterday, but it would make sense that that may be the next step. Still, that shouldn't hurt him too much if he has political aspirations outside of the judiciary.

6. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    Governor you say? I haven't heard anything about that so I'll take your word for it.

But if he does become governor I think the ACLU would be well-served in just moving it's headquarters to Birmingham.

7. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    rumors are he wants governor or senator. i can't see him beating Shelby for the Senate seat, but Riley really weakened himself in the state with his tax plan referendum.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is like the Lester Maddox of the fundies.

9. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    This is probably an appropriate time to point out that, to his credit, Alabama AG and current Bush judicial nominee William Pryor did his job and prosecuted the removal of the nutcase judge. This is also the appropriate time to point out that prior to Judge Moore losing every single friggin' time without it even being close, Mr. Pryor showed up at rallies and spoke in support of Judge Moore's efforts.

The logical conclusion, William Pryor will follow the law when told what it is, but if asked to interpret himself, will reach ridiculously unsupportable unconstitutional conclusions.

Ergo: Filibuster, Senate, fillibuster. . .

10. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    This alone should, in the mind of any reasonable senator, disqualify a person from the bench. Oh wait, reasonable....

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    YES!

12. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Great news. Kind of makes you want to grab one of those annoying "Power of Pride" bumper stickers, don't it?

OK, not really. But still, it's a cool day for democracy.

13. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Guess what, folks. Some people think his eyes may be set on a bigger prize evan than Governor.

The NY Times reported: He has promised an announcement next week that "could alter the course of this country."

And on the Today show, this morning, Matt Lauer talked to him, quoting Moore as saying "the battle is not over; the battle to acknowledge god is about to rage across the country." Moore's response to that seemed merely to show an intent to become an activist on the issue.

But then Lauer asked him, "Will you run for Governor, or will you run for President?", to which he responded:

"Sir, I haven't decided on whether to run for anything yet."

14. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    Yeah, saw those things this morning. The gov's race is 3 years away, it might be hard for him to keep his name in the press that long. Pres might be a better choice for him.

I wonder how much it would hurt Bush if Moore ran. Most of his support would come from solid R states, so the votes for Moore wouldn't really be a problem there. The panhandle of Florida could be a problem though.

If the Dems nominate someone that has a chance to win midwestern or southern border states (read: not Dean), the votes for Moore could slip some of those states (ie, LA, TN, FL, ARK) to the Dems

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    He may be a nutcase, but I really like the guy :)

16. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Is it too much to hope that he makes a third party run at the White House?

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's a member of Al-Qaeda!

18. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    A Seriously good point - replace the word "God" for "Allah" and this guy's statements would not seem out of place among the Al-Qaida "philosophers". Of course to his credit he has not advocated violence (yet) but I wouldn't put it past some of those nutjobs camping outside of the court last month.

Speaking of which - where do those people come from? I mean really, how back a$$ or ignorant do you have to be to decide that this man is worth camping out for and following around the country?

It truly scares me that people like that actually have a vote in this country. Shudder.

19. OtakuFC

OtakuFC New Member

Apr 13, 2000
    Florida
    Apparently from the 77% of the American public that disagreed with the order to remove the Ten Commandments in the first place.

I'm pretty sure they're "scared" you have a vote too :D.

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Finnegan, you actually spelled it out for eveyone. This is the problem with the radical Islamic fundamentalists, claiming how the west is evil based on religious ideals.

I think the former chief justice made solid arguements for his case, but the fact remained that he disobeyed the order. He got what he deserved. His other problem is that he shouldn't be doing these things to begin with because he is a freaking judge. He asks that others check their ideas about a persons innocence or guilt at the door and he needs to check his ideas too regarding religion. He needs to be impartial.

That 77 percent is a scary figure. The USA, soon to be a wacked out crazy state pushing Christian ideals on everyone?

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    people people... the big issue was not the stupid sculpture - he would have christian leaders come in and open his court proceedings with a prayer... when people of other faiths asked to read a prayer in his court he flat out told them no - now THAT, aside from the obvious issue of seperating church and state, is basically declaring that you have a preset bias as a judge - he's simply an openly hateful, prejudiced person

president? he's so delusional i think he might announce that he's running for god

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed. When a redneck stays in his trailer, there's no problem, but send one to school and it gets haz(z)ardous for everyone within spittin' distance. Massa Moore's a freaking imbecile. Pryor's no better of a person, but he's smart enough not to let his prejudices show on the job. I don't know which is more dangerous.

He could coach the Tide. To most Alabamians, it's basically the same thing...

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

see that's just it... the wouldn't let him anywhere near the tide (ie; something that matters)

24. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American people always bring religion to their lives, always has been and always will be. I wouldn't worry about it since the US government never succeeded mixing religion with government, specially in the past when we are much more religious back then